Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robert_A_Woodward and 134 guests

next honorverse book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: next honorverse book
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:19 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Charybdis wrote:Hmmm, "Travis Long Cycle"? First I've heard of this. Anybody got any more info on this?

Lunan wrote:Toni just gave us this info
"I don’t think David’s schedule can ever be described as “light.” We don’t have a projected pub date for the next Honor solo. The first of the Travis Long Cycle will be out in October next year. And, btw, it’s great.

--Toni

From: tonis_table-bounces@bar.baen.com [mailto:tonis_table-bounces@bar.baen.com] On Behalf Of Lunan
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:08 PM
To: tonis_table@bar.baen.com
Subject: [Baen Toni's Table] Status of Future Honorverse books?

Toni, there are concerns popping up on Davids website forums about the future of Honorverse books."

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Timothy_Zahn

In November 2012, Zahn announced that he and David Weber are currently working on the first book of a new Honorverse spin-off trilogy, set in the early days of the Star Kingdom of Manticore and centered on a new character named Travis Uriah Long.
Post by Duckk   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 am

Duckk
Site Admin

A little more detail from David, posted in the Safehold forum.

Travis Long is a serving member of the RMN shortly after the Plague Years. The "Travis Long Cycle" is the series of collaborative novels Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I are doing about him. Tom's name won't be on the cover of the first one (that's mainly a marketing decision; there was some fear that seeing three names would make people think the first book was another anthology), but I'm really, really pleased with how much he's contributed to the book(s). I've always loved Tim's writing --- for my money, his Star Wars novelizations are still the best that have ever been done and I really like his Cobra novels --- and I agree with Toni about the quality of the first book.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Montrose Toast   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

Travis U Long first showed up in "A Call To Arms" in Beginnings...
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:This is a fallacy. Charlie Stross once wrote a piece on this, in which he explains that while a writer could "cut out the middle-man" and go the self-publishing route if he or she is successfull enough, it also means that the writer has to do everything the publisher does by himself (or pay others to do it for him), which eats into the time the writer can spend writing and the profit margin that remains at the end.

No, you HIRE people to do it. Particularly possible when you have professional contacts who will advance you the money at reasonable rates and know how to find decent people to do the actual book production. Amazon charges a bit for their distribution overhead, you pay money to a the artist and an editor. Given the typos that have become ever-present in modern "professionally published" fiction these days the standards for editing are kind of low. Then you get more like $10 on a $16 book vs $2 of a $16 book.
Post by Kruhn   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Kruhn
Commander

pokermind wrote:
loltreecat wrote:Hey

I havent been able to find a reference to it in the forum, but maybe im just not searching correctly.. Where can I find info on the next honor harrington book?. These last ones left me really wanting more.

Next schedules is "Cauldron of Ghosts" find info here http://books.simonandschuster.biz/Cauldron-of-Ghosts/Eric-Flint/Crown-of-Slaves/9781476736334 Simon and Schuster print the books for Baen and usually let the relaease date out first (April 2014). Here is the link to Baen Books Schedule see April 2014 http://www.baen.com/schedule.asp. Here's the cover:

Toni at Baen Books noted in a recent post that the eARC electric version should be out in December good lord willing and the creek don't raise, but not a cross my heart and hope to die promise. Enjoy,

Poker

DECEMBER?!?!?!?! I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER?!?!?!?!

I've been reading the whole series again in the hopes that in a few days I will be able to get the next installment from the Crown of Slaves series!

Oh well. WOO SA!!!
Post by clancy688   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Kruhn wrote:DECEMBER?!?!?!?! I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER?!?!?!?!

I've been reading the whole series again in the hopes that in a few days I will be able to get the next installment from the Crown of Slaves series!

Oh well. WOO SA!!!

Hm. Why don't you reread DW's other works? For example Safehold. Or Starfire. ;)
Post by Kruhn   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Kruhn
Commander

clancy688 wrote:
Kruhn wrote:DECEMBER?!?!?!?! I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER?!?!?!?!

Oh well. WOO SA!!!

Hm. Why don't you reread DW's other works? For example Safehold. Or Starfire. ;)

Actually it's Honor Harrington or nothin' for me! :lol: (OK the side stories also work for me too, although the treecat series YA books haven't grabbed me.) I'm still in Ashes of Victory, so I have a bit of time to play with.

BUT 2016 FOR HONOR HARRINGTON?!?!?!?!? THAT IS TOO MUCH!!!! We were left in pins and needles on what is going to happen to Beowulf, the new commerce-raiding strategy, and what'll happen to Her Majesty's diplomats in Old Chicago?
Post by The E   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:42 pm

The E
Admiral

kzt wrote:No, you HIRE people to do it. Particularly possible when you have professional contacts who will advance you the money at reasonable rates and know how to find decent people to do the actual book production. Amazon charges a bit for their distribution overhead, you pay money to a the artist and an editor. Given the typos that have become ever-present in modern "professionally published" fiction these days the standards for editing are kind of low. Then you get more like $10 on a $16 book vs $2 of a $16 book.

Which is why I said "(or pay others to do it for him)", as you may have seen.

Also, you haven't accounted for stuff like advertisement. Publishing houses are very efficient at turning a manuscript into a finished product; even if you (as an author) are lucky enough to actually know professional editors and artists and typesetters and you know a good printer who can give you a good deal on printing the damn thing for those among us who prefer a hard- or softcover to an ebook.

Point is, managing all these tasks increases the management overhead portion of the job of being a pro writer. Some writers may not be able or willing to handle it. RFC, by the looks of it, has a pretty hefty writing schedule. If he has to manage more of the process of getting product out, that means less product for us to enjoy.
Post by clancy688   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Kruhn wrote:BUT 2016 FOR HONOR HARRINGTON?!?!?!?!? THAT IS TOO MUCH!!!!

I hope that we'll get the movie in late 2015. Or am I to naive?
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

clancy688 wrote:
Kruhn wrote:BUT 2016 FOR HONOR HARRINGTON?!?!?!?!? THAT IS TOO MUCH!!!!

I hope that we'll get the movie in late 2015. Or am I to naive?

Not gonna happen. There isn't even a script yet, as far as we know. No director or actors, either. If they push things, we *might* see the movie by this time of year 2016.

They're still basically in pre-preproduction, where they start hashing out the look of the film, props, decide what can be done in CGI or not, and probably very rough script(s). This is also the stage where *nothing* is set in stone, and is subject to change on an almost daily basis.

BTW, I guess I ought to add that I have no special connections with Evergreen. I know just as much as anyone else here. My statements above are simply guesses based on what little I know about the film industry through behind-the-scenes video on various DVDs.

Also my opinion: I think fall of 2016 is overly optimistic.

Return to Honorverse