Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 38 guests

next honorverse book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: next honorverse book
Post by clancy688   » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:55 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Here's a post David just posted in the Safehold board:

viewtopic.php?p=118637#p118637

First, thanks for the references. I've bookmarked them for future perusal, but right now I'm killing myself to make a deadline in the Honorverse. The time I'm spending here is mainly a way to recharge batteries in the midst of 10 or 11-hour working sessions. :roll:

Is this possibly a remark to Cauldron of Ghosts? Or the Zahn novel? Or something entirely else?
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

clancy688 wrote:Here's a post David just posted in the Safehold board:

First, thanks for the references. I've bookmarked them for future perusal, but right now I'm killing myself to make a deadline in the Honorverse. The time I'm spending here is mainly a way to recharge batteries in the midst of 10 or 11-hour working sessions. :roll:

Is this possibly a remark to Cauldron of Ghosts? Or the Zahn novel? Or something entirely else?

From what I heard (and I might be wrong!), the Call to Order series (aka the Travis Long series) is pretty much entirely Timothy Zahn's show. And this close to publication, he's almost certainly not "killing himself" on CoG - they might be poking at a few bits that aren't sitting properly, but the bulk of the writing would have been done months ago on that.

(ETA: He could be referring to CoG, however, if he's editing and not doing initial writing. Whoops! That said, I still doubt it - I know a bit about the publishing industry (pulp romance - don't get excited!!!) and I really doubt that major revision would be going on this close to the pub date. BUT I MIGHT BE WRONG! :D )

So it's entirely possible that the deadline he's working for is the initial rough draft - i.e. the first cut of the book the publishers see, ever - of the next SI/WoS/HH book. There would still probably be at least a year between that deadline and when the book is actually published, if not more, but at least there's hope!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:46 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

J6P wrote:Not a chance. Per Honorcon DW interview it wasn't even written yet and he and Eric still had to talk several points out. Maybe January. Though he was "hopeful" it was going to be finished in December. Still has to go through several revisions of proofreading before being released to E-ARC. Though judging by the numerous errors I read in every chapter, I have to wonder what the Heck Baen editors are doing at all.

Hope you realize that "E-ARC" means that the manuscript has not been to the professional editors in any meaningful sense. In particular, according to David and Toni at Honorcon and elsewhere, it means that no organized review to correct typos, grammar, punctuation, etc, has been done.

The above is one of the reasons that I don't usually jump the gun and read e-ARCs. But then, I'm not in my 20s expecting the world to be 'complete' by tomorrow any longer either.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:06 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I should be careful to tell my political jokes very s-l-o-w-l-y so that people of other political stripes can understand them.

nameless,
Even though I was pretty sure that I 'got it' and saw the bulge in your cheek, I will point out that in e-mail/text/etc, you pretty much have to point out when you are joking, with emoticons, after comments, etc, or SOMEONE will misunderstand. There just isn't enough interpretable context for subtle sarcasm in raw text media.

In addition, any political references, much less humor at the expense of a political figure, relating to current politics is going to find SOME audience that isn't going to take any shot lightly, because the particular political focus is really important and close and worrisome to THEM, even if you are being clearly light-hearted relative to your own usual social milieu.

I have face-to-face friends whom I can virtually guarantee will vote opposite to my decisions on most political choices. I can joke with them on political themes safely, because there is a realm of personal history and current non-verbal clues about when it is getting too close to convictions held with angst. I try to never go that far in written form, because all those other clues of "I'm not serious" or "just doing a zinger, not a manifesto" are stripped away by the medium.

Now I've written way more than I meant to. Bye.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:11 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:I am a Ford/Bush 1 Republican.

Today, I think that a Ford/Bush 1 Republican is somewhere left of what is commonly castigated as a Communist.

But, in the case of leftovers, it was just a momentary lapse. I definitely know better.

;)

Heck, waddles,
Today a McCAIN Republican has to pay extra to maintain party membership, in some states. :-)

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:23 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

clancy688 wrote:Here's a post David just posted in the Safehold board:

This is certainly for the first of the Travis Long novels. I know from other sources that Tom Pope (Bu9) took time off in the last month to work exclusively on continuity and background for that book. David would be in the same boat, as he is the ultimate authority to tie together plot of the Zahn story with the functional reality of the Honorverse. Double the problems of that task given that this is the first novel of this timeframe/series.

Note also that the cultural and technical background of the Travis Long SKM must also be checked to mesh rather tightly with the established 'truths' of the YA series, as well - the two timeframes are much closer together than either is to the era of HH.

dreamrider
Post by Zefram   » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Zefram
Midshipman

waddles for desert wrote:I am a Ford/Bush 1 Republican.

Today, I think that a Ford/Bush 1 Republican is somewhere left of what is commonly castigated as a Communist.

But, in the case of leftovers, it was just a momentary lapse. I definitely know better.

;)

Actually I was re-reading Honor Harrington novels and somewhere between Echoes of Honor and War of Honor there was a person (I believe a Centrist) can't remember which - (Manti or Peeb) but she was named Hillary Palin. I almost fell over laughing. Can't believed I missed the reference the first time I read it!
Post by d-eye   » Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Zefram wrote:Actually I was re-reading Honor Harrington novels and somewhere between Echoes of Honor and War of Honor there was a person (I believe a Centrist) can't remember which - (Manti or Peeb) but she was named Hillary Palin. I almost fell over laughing. Can't believed I missed the reference the first time I read it!

House of Steel and I missed it the first time round as well.

Return to Honorverse