Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests

Movie Cast Discussion

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Movie Cast Discussion
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 12, 2014 9:51 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Crown Loyalist wrote:
KNick wrote:
I could see her as Alice Truman, quite easily. After all, Alice is older than Honor.

Not that much older. Alice is maybe what, ten years older than Honor?

Yes, but remember, at the time of HotQ Honor looks like she's about twenty (thanks, prolong!). If I had to cast an Alice Truman on the spot, it would be Natalie Dormer.

That's why I tipped Jeri for Sonja (though I've tipped a lot of people for Sonja over the last few months :lol: ) - her age fits the character well, and nobody's going to be asking if Jeri Ryan has acting chops, because we all know she does.

That said, she might also make a lovely Eloise.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by namelessfly   » Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 pm

namelessfly

My "blaming" Jeri Ryan for Obama's Presidency is intended to be purely humorous.

The complaint about Mr Ryan's behavior was part of a divorce record that had been sealed as is routine to protect the privacy of the Ryans and their children. The fact that Democrat operatives were able to access those records was a gross violation of their privacy as well as a violation of the law. Unfortunately; it is SIOP for the Chicago, Democrat political machine.

To be blunt, given the fact that Jeri Ryan had apparently agreed to visit a sex club where it is normal for people to perform sex acts in view of other patrons, making Mr Ryan's request an issue in her divorce was rather unreasonable and unfair. On the other hand, I can not understand why, aside from narcism, a man who was married tomJeri Ryan will feel the need to visit that club for excitement.

Crown Loyalist wrote:
namelessfly wrote:
Any roll that you cast Jeri Ryan in is all right with me.

Of course in an Honorverse roll there can be no jokes about her "Borg Implants" which actually aren't implants.

She is so hot that I can forgive her for making Obama President.

Blaming Jeri Ryan for the misdeeds of her husband (which led to her husband withdrawing his Senate candidacy, which led to Barack Obama winning the Senate race in Illinois) is not at all fair to her.

Blaming her for the decision to release the records of their divorce settlement makes no sense whatsoever.
Post by gloves   » Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 pm

gloves
Ensign

...Moving back on track - here are some of my musings for cast choices:

Freema Agyeman - Elizabeth III
Rupert Penry-Jones - Hamish Alexander
Miranda Raison - Alice Truman
Timothy Dalton - Raoul Courvoisier
Adam Beach - Thomas Caparelli

The constants being that they are all very accomplished actors, age appropriate to the respective role and, with the possible exception of Timothy Dalton, would not break the bank for salary.
Regardless, the Courvoisier character will presumably be for only one film and both the character and the plot demand a higher profile actor for the role.

Thoughts?
G
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

gloves wrote:...Moving back on track - here are some of my musings for cast choices:

The constants being that they are all very accomplished actors, age appropriate to the respective role and, with the possible exception of Timothy Dalton, would not break the bank for salary.
Regardless, the Courvoisier character will presumably be for only one film and both the character and the plot demand a higher profile actor for the role.

Thoughts?
G

I think you're on the right track, but as much as I like Agyeman, I have my doubts about whether or not she can "bring the queen" the way an Elizabeth will need to. If we're going to look at her generation, I'd throw in my hat for Angel Coulby. I have never seen an actress that young look that regal, not before or since. I think she could carry the role off in a way few could, and she's young enough that she won't age out of the character.

I think Dalton's a spot-on choice for Courvosier, and I think you're right that he's a role that demands a big star - since Honor, Alice, etc. presumably won't be. In that vein, how about another Bond for Yanakov? I nominate Pierce Brosnan.

The problem with Penry-Jones is that, scrumptious as he is, he's too young - Hamish is second-gen prolong, not third like Honor, so he's going to have a bit of grey in his hair and a bit more of a weathered face. If we could get a big name I'd beg for George Clooney, but ever since I first heard there was going to be a movie, I've seen Rupert Graves in the role.

As much as a part of me wants to stick with my beloved Natalie Dormer as Alice, it would be a shame to waste Natalie's talent for playing 'evil' on a protagonist. :twisted:

But the most important question of all - who for Tom Theisman? My heart wants Chris Pine, but, as much as it hurts to say, I think Captain Fine might be too gorgeous for the role...
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by gloves   » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 am

gloves
Ensign

roseandheather wrote:
gloves wrote:...Moving back on track - here are some of my musings for cast choices:

Thoughts?
G

I think you're on the right track, but as much as I like Agyeman, I have my doubts about whether or not she can "bring the queen" the way an Elizabeth will need to. If we're going to look at her generation, I'd throw in my hat for Angel Coulby. I have never seen an actress that young look that regal, not before or since. I think she could carry the role off in a way few could, and she's young enough that she won't age out of the character.

I think Dalton's a spot-on choice for Courvosier, and I think you're right that he's a role that demands a big star - since Honor, Alice, etc. presumably won't be. In that vein, how about another Bond for Yanakov? I nominate Pierce Brosnan.

The problem with Penry-Jones is that, scrumptious as he is, he's too young - Hamish is second-gen prolong, not third like Honor, so he's going to have a bit of grey in his hair and a bit more of a weathered face. If we could get a big name I'd beg for George Clooney, but ever since I first heard there was going to be a movie, I've seen Rupert Graves in the role.

As much as a part of me wants to stick with my beloved Natalie Dormer as Alice, it would be a shame to waste Natalie's talent for playing 'evil' on a protagonist. :twisted:

But the most important question of all - who for Tom Theisman? My heart wants Chris Pine, but, as much as it hurts to say, I think Captain Fine might be too gorgeous for the role...

Coulby certainly has the chops for the role and would be an excellent choice; however, I wouldn't be too quick to write-off Agyeman. Her stint as a Crown Prosecutor on Law & Order UK showed that she could bring the gravitas when required. My rationale behind Beach and Penry-Jones is that they are not type cast Sci-Fi (must inject some new blood into the genre...), and while perhaps a bit young now, they will be able to age into their character's recurring roles in the follow-up films.
As to Theisman, that would be John Barrowman.
Cheers,
G
Post by roseandheather   » Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 am

roseandheather
Admiral

gloves wrote:
Coulby certainly has the chops for the role and would be an excellent choice; however, I wouldn't be too quick to write-off Agyeman. Her stint as a Crown Prosecutor on Law & Order UK showed that she could bring the gravitas when required. My rationale behind Beach and Penry-Jones is that they are not type cast Sci-Fi (must inject some new blood into the genre...), and while perhaps a bit young now, they will be able to age into their character's recurring roles in the follow-up films.
As to Theisman, that would be John Barrowman.
Cheers,
G

Okay, I admit I've never seen Agyeman in L&O:UK. Not that Martha Jones wasn't a badass, because she definitely was, but a queen? Nope. I have no shame in admitting that my preference still lies with Coulby, though. ;)

And you may have a point about Penry-Jones - it's a lot easier to make someone up to look a little older than it is to make them look younger, as I know from experience. God knows he's got the acting chops for it.

...but Barrowman as Theisman? Gorgeous, dashing, eye candy incarnate, if-he-asked-for-a-fling-I'd-look-for-the-nearest-bed, makes-the-straightest-of-the-straight-question-their-sexuality John Barrowman?? WTF are you smoking, and can I have some?? :lol: Theisman's supposed to be unprepossessing, not noticeably ugly but not noticeably not ugly; he's basically the definition of "average looks". His charisma comes from within, and it startles people because they don't expect someone that ordinary-looking to have that kind of sheer magnetism.

Oh, I have no doubt he could act the role - I don't think anybody could doubt that - but casting Barrowman as Theisman would be like casting Idris Elba as Augustus Khumalo! :P :mrgreen:

Honestly, I almost want Tom Hiddleston to get the role; you don't get more fundamentally decent than Tom Hiddleston, and I think he'd nail Theisman - but alas, he's far too expensive. :evil:

In other news, I have only one desperate, burning wish for Iris Babcock, and her name is Catherine Tate. Go on. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me Catherine wouldn't nail Iris with the brilliance of a thousand suns.
Last edited by roseandheather on Tue May 13, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Festival   » Tue May 13, 2014 12:33 am

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Crown Loyalist wrote:Drake's RCN series (which is what came out of the short story he wrote in the Honorverse) is actually quite enjoyable. Those can be fun to read.

One of my very favorite current series, in fact. When I saw that statement from Relax about "everything they've written," it resulted in immediate dismissal of Relax's opinions on anything literary.

The RCN series is a gem. It's a character study with a deliberately slightly surreal, caricature-ish setting, not a "future history" style of sci-fi, really. And those characters are superbly drawn...
Post by roseandheather   » Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Festival wrote:
Crown Loyalist wrote:Drake's RCN series (which is what came out of the short story he wrote in the Honorverse) is actually quite enjoyable. Those can be fun to read.

One of my very favorite current series, in fact. When I saw that statement from Relax about "everything they've written," it resulted in immediate dismissal of Relax's opinions on anything literary.

The RCN series is a gem. It's a character study with a deliberately slightly surreal, caricature-ish setting, not a "future history" style of sci-fi, really. And those characters are superbly drawn...

Yet again, I like you. :mrgreen: (And now I'm really excited to start the RCN series - I've heard such good things about it, and of course "Aubrey-Maturin In Space" isn't exactly a turnoff. :lol: )
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Festival   » Tue May 13, 2014 11:51 am

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
Festival wrote:One of my very favorite current series, in fact. When I saw that statement from Relax about "everything they've written," it resulted in immediate dismissal of Relax's opinions on anything literary.

Yet again, I like you. :mrgreen: (And now I'm really excited to start the RCN series - I've heard such good things about it, and of course "Aubrey-Maturin In Space" isn't exactly a turnoff. :lol: )

Of course we like each other: we have important stuff in common. Like great taste in platinum-haired presidents...

Adele Mundy, one of the RCN series' protagonists, is a "top ten list of literary characters" creation for me. Drake shares a gift with RFC (and one of RFC's greatest strengths as a writer, IMO): the ability to make vivid, nuanced characters you care about. While I enjoy "spaceships and ray guns" as much as any other SF geek, either author could write in any genre and their characters would seem real. Now that I think of it, that's true for all of my favorite authors in this field (Stross, Banks, Cherryh, Reynolds, etc.).

Oh, and there's a perfect "this could be heaven or this could be hell" cross-series "ship" between the RCN books and the Honorverse books ('speshly the now-recombined "Torch tangent" ones). I'll leave you to find it...and you're in for a treat.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Festival wrote:
Of course we like each other: we have important stuff in common. Like great taste in platinum-haired presidents...

Obviously, this is a terrific predictor of how well two people will get along. :mrgreen:

Festival wrote:Adele Mundy, one of the RCN series' protagonists, is a "top ten list of literary characters" creation for me. Drake shares a gift with RFC (and one of RFC's greatest strengths as a writer, IMO): the ability to make vivid, nuanced characters you care about. While I enjoy "spaceships and ray guns" as much as any other SF geek, either author could write in any genre and their characters would seem real. Now that I think of it, that's true for all of my favorite authors in this field (Stross, Banks, Cherryh, Reynolds, etc.).

Oh, and there's a perfect "this could be heaven or this could be hell" cross-series "ship" between the RCN books and the Honorverse books ('speshly the now-recombined "Torch tangent" ones). I'll leave you to find it...and you're in for a treat.

...well now I obviously have to start this series as soon as humanly possible.
~*~

Javier & Eloise

Return to Honorverse