Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 57 guests

Movie Cast Discussion

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Movie Cast Discussion
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Relax wrote:You made my point for me. If it is not a main author of his own dreams, you do not read it. You haven't even bothered to read anything other than David Weber and a bit of Eric Flint short stories. So far they have been the only ones even worth reading.

hyp-o-crite

Really?

The fact that I've re-read "Obligated Service", "The Stray", "Queen's Gambit", "Promised Land", "A Ship Named Francis", "With One Stone", and "Ruthless" - interesting backstories all - multiple times begs to differ.

Feel free to keep making unfounded assumptions about me, though, it's great popcorn fodder - not to mention proving my point for me. Again.
Last edited by roseandheather on Mon May 12, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Cheopis   » Mon May 12, 2014 12:38 am

Cheopis
Vice Admiral

gloves wrote:
Cheopis wrote:It almost certainly won't happen, but if Patrick Stewart were to make an appearance, it might be interesting.

Who would you cast him as, if you could cast him as anyone in any book?

I first thought Mark Sarnow, and then Protector Benjamin

Then I thought that it might be interesting to see him in a less benevolent role, and imagined him as either Oscar Saint-Just or Rob Pierre, depending on how 'less benevolent' one wanted to go.

And finally, I thought he might make a good Admiral Parnell

How about Howard Clinkscales? His age works for him and the role grows in later books to fit Stewart's stature as an actor. Cheers,
G

Actually, yes. That would probably be better than any of my ideas.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Cheopis wrote:
gloves wrote:
How about Howard Clinkscales? His age works for him and the role grows in later books to fit Stewart's stature as an actor. Cheers,
G

Actually, yes. That would probably be better than any of my ideas.

Oooh, Sir Patrick might make a very good Howard Clinkscales!

I also wonder how he might do as Tom Caparelli... though I've always kind of thought of Caparelli as Tom Hanks-esque.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
namelessfly wrote:== CLIP ==

Given the increasing cost effectiveness of CGI, I also see the potential of far more classic Sci Fi novels becoming movies as an alternative to Hollywood squandering $$$$ to make their own schlock. To be blunt, I would never read Star Trek or Star Wars books unless I was EXTREMELY desperate.

== CLIP ==

Honestly, that's a bit snobbish of you. Some of them are dreck, sure - I've never read any Star Wars books though, so I can't speak for them - but others are pure gems. Anything by Diane Duane (she of Young Wizards fame) is solid gold, and the Star Trek: Destiny series is incredibly compelling, not to mention a masterwork of weaving together Trek mythology. And Peter David's Star Trek: New Frontier is apparently quite good as well. It's not all schlock written by hack jobs, and to say it is does the many extremely talented writers who have written it a tremendous disservice.

After all, David Drake, SM Stirling, Eric Flint, Jane Lindskold, and Timothy Zahn have all written Honorverse stories - does that make them dreck, too? Or does the fact that their stories are written for a literary universe instead of a television one make them automatically "superior"? Because if so, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Ooh yes, Peter David. Vendetta!
I hope I don't get reprimanded by RFC again, but doesn't Peter David and David Weber favor? Lots???

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_David

And I sure wish Jeri Ryan wasn't too old. She belongs in the Honorverse!

And why any man would want to cheat her outta two is beyond me. I'd give seven-of-nine all nine-of-nine.

Votes...you pervert! :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 am

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:Ooh yes, Peter David. Vendetta!
I hope I don't get reprimanded by RFC again, but doesn't Peter David and David Weber favor? Lots???

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_David

And I sure wish Jeri Ryan wasn't too old. She belongs in the Honorverse!

And why any man would want to cheat her outta two is beyond me. I'd give seven-of-nine all nine-of-nine.

Votes...you pervert! :D

Jeri Ryan too old for the Honorverse? Blasphemy! She'd make an amazing Sonja!! :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by KNick   » Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm

KNick
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>
Jeri Ryan too old for the Honorverse? Blasphemy! She'd make an amazing Sonja!! :mrgreen:

I could see her as Alice Truman, quite easily. After all, Alice is older than Honor.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by namelessfly   » Mon May 12, 2014 8:01 pm

namelessfly

KNick wrote:
roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>

I could see her as Alice Truman, quite easily. After all, Alice is older than Honor.

Any roll that you cast Jeri Ryan in is all right with me.

Of course in an Honorverse roll there can be no jokes about her "Borg Implants" which actually aren't implants.

She is so hot that I can forgive her for making Obama President.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

namelessfly wrote:
Any roll that you cast Jeri Ryan in is all right with me.

Of course in an Honorverse roll there can be no jokes about her "Borg Implants" which actually aren't implants.

She is so hot that I can forgive her for making Obama President.

Blaming Jeri Ryan for the misdeeds of her husband (which led to her husband withdrawing his Senate candidacy, which led to Barack Obama winning the Senate race in Illinois) is not at all fair to her.

Blaming her for the decision to release the records of their divorce settlement makes no sense whatsoever.
Last edited by Crown Loyalist on Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

KNick wrote:

Not that much older. Alice is maybe what, ten years older than Honor?
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Relax wrote:
You are not helping yourself any by naming the first two. Drek is what those guys wrote for Honorverse short stories and honestly everything else they have ever written. Though Stirling does have a couple gems out of all he has written. (Yes, I was REALLY bored, and read his stuff) Personally, I have always thought that J. Lindskold never wrote anything compelling, though her plot lines in some of her other novels were quite nice initially and then fell flat. Couple plot lines were good, but writing style? Not me. Zahn is hit and miss. Flint is Ok to good. So, 1.5/5 is not a good ratio.

Now, if Weber could get Bujold to write more... Seems she is in effective retirement. A pity.

Drake's RCN series (which is what came out of the short story he wrote in the Honorverse) is actually quite enjoyable. Those can be fun to read.

Return to Honorverse