Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests

New Manty ship ideas.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Manty ship ideas.
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Uroboros wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:A notification that her first salvo was about to be launched, plus a reminder that the Spindle defenders had destroyed every ship targeted, coupled with a promise to abort fire on any ship that dropped its wedge might have reduced the toll.

[snip]
The third one is just silly. Do you think anyone is going to strike their wedge in the middle of a missile engagement? The Sollies had just shot their wad, and they knew exactly what would happen, that the Manty ships would return fire. The possibility of leakers from that many missiles... The Sollies SDs already might as well have been made of paper, and you think that dropping their strongest passive piece of armor would be a really good idea?

Huh? Striking the wedge is the traditional means of signaling surrender, since it used to be the only message that could be sent FTL. E.g., from Mission of Honor:
Forty-five more seconds ticked past. A minute. Ninety seconds. Then, abruptly, every surviving Solarian starship's wedge went down simultaneously.
Another two and a half minutes oozed into eternity while light-speed limited transmissions sped towards HMS Hercules and Quentin Saint-James. Then—
"Sir," Captain Loretta Shoupe told Augustus Khumalo quietly, "Communications is picking up an all-ships transmission from an Admiral Keeley O'Cleary. She wants to surrender, Sir."

Uroboros wrote: Country first, your people's safety second, and the treatment of the enemy a very, very, very distant third. Regardless of how crap the Solly missiles were, they were going to kill people, especially at that piddling range. Honor's priorities were the safety of her nation and personnel, not, I repeat, NOT, the invading Solly fleet.
And the country is best served by demonstrating whenever practical that the Manties are not the bloodthirsty 'neobarbarians' they're being made out to be -- that they aren't killing anyone they don't have to, and the blame for the debacle lies, yet again, with those [unprintable] politicians in Chicago.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Duckk wrote:
You must work for the Shrike consortium our LAC is best. Your LAC is terrible, better than ours in many ways, but terrible. Plus it doesn't fit in our CLAC. Which is a glorified Taxi and terrible in the wall. Doesn't work in civilian duties and like the wall during peace is parked and only used when someone starts shooting at you again, and like the Sollie SD's suddenly useless. You need a work horse ship. A ship that can be crewed by 75 or up to 1000. Depending on role. Yet when used as a 75 crew BIG Roland, it can fire any missile. Any fusion missile, from the cheap Mk16, to the hugely expensive Apollo. Or less Expensive but equally huge Vipers Nest. Or the best Apollo sized probe.

Your complaint would have more merit if you had proven in any of your previous posts that you had even a tentative grasp of the technology and tactics that David has incorporated into the series; nor have you shown any inclination to try to learn them. Since you haven't, pretty much all of us ignore your ideas.

Forget about ignoring his ideas. People should just ignore his posts. Period.

Since he hasn't shown any grasp of anything in the Honorverse regarding technology and warfighting capabilities, ignores people's explanations about How Things Work™, and ignored RFC himself, what point is there to pay attention or respond to any *other* subject he posts on? Even outright ridiculing him doesn't work.

I still say he is a very subtle troll. No normal fan of the series could be that... stubborn... about the crap he posts. Occam's Razor - the simplest and most plausible explanation is that he's toying with us. Hell, he could even be a sock puppet for one of the regular members here, trying to have a bit of fun. Although that could be proven or disproven easily enough through an IP check, I suppose.

Duckk... I really feel sorry for you since you can't put him on ignore because of your duties here.
Post by Vince   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Referring to Lord Skimper
MaxxQ wrote:

Since he hasn't shown any grasp of anything in the Honorverse regarding technology and warfighting capabilities, ignores people's explanations about How Things Work™, and ignored RFC himself, what point is there to pay attention or respond to any *other* subject he posts on? Even outright ridiculing him doesn't work.

I still say he is a very subtle troll. No normal fan of the series could be that... stubborn... about the crap he posts. Occam's Razor - the simplest and most plausible explanation is that he's toying with us. Hell, he could even be a sock puppet for one of the regular members here, trying to have a bit of fun. Although that could be proven or disproven easily enough through an IP check, I suppose.

Duckk... I really feel sorry for you since you can't put him on ignore because of your duties here.

I think your analysis of Skimper is accurate. I looked up skimper at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skimper and it listed this definition from the World English Dictionary (Collins 10th edition):

—vb
1. to be extremely sparing or supply (someone) sparingly; stint
2. to perform (work, etc) carelessly, hastily, or with inadequate materials

I think the second definition fits Lord Skimper to a T.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Okay, Skimper has just admitted that he is going to continue generating his ideas even if they directly contradict David Weber. It is time to ignore him.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by kzt   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:34 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:Okay, Skimper has just admitted that he is going to continue generating his ideas even if they directly contradict David Weber. It is time to ignore him.

What took you so long?
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:41 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
SWM wrote:Okay, Skimper has just admitted that he is going to continue generating his ideas even if they directly contradict David Weber. It is time to ignore him.

What took you so long?

Guess I like banging my head against the door. :lol:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Vince wrote:Referring to Lord Skimper
MaxxQ wrote:

I think your analysis of Skimper is accurate. I looked up skimper at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skimper and it listed this definition from the World English Dictionary (Collins 10th edition):

—vb
1. to be extremely sparing or supply (someone) sparingly; stint
2. to perform (work, etc) carelessly, hastily, or with inadequate materials

I think the second definition fits Lord Skimper to a T.

This. Every time I see a new post, or a thread, by Skimper the thing I look forwards to most is other people gnashing their teeth!
Post by drothgery   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:30 pm

drothgery
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:Duckk... I really feel sorry for you since you can't put him on ignore because of your duties here.
Though he could ban him ...
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

drothgery wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Duckk... I really feel sorry for you since you can't put him on ignore because of your duties here.
Though he could ban him ...

And I would protest that.

Yes, he irritates me too, albeit I seldom read his posts, relying on the rebuttals to tell me what abomination he has performed.

But he has not done anything I would call a bannable offense-he hasn't cussed folks out, abused the privlege of posting here (by posting non-topic material, spam, etc.), or flooding the Forum with topics (yes, he's started quite a few, but never dominated a page).

Just put him on ignore if he tasks you that much...I simply don't respond.

IMHO as Always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Uroboros   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bill Woods wrote:
Huh? Striking the wedge is the traditional means of signaling surrender, since it used to be the only message that could be sent FTL. E.g., from Mission of Honor:
Forty-five more seconds ticked past. A minute. Ninety seconds. Then, abruptly, every surviving Solarian starship's wedge went down simultaneously.
Another two and a half minutes oozed into eternity while light-speed limited transmissions sped towards HMS Hercules and Quentin Saint-James. Then—
"Sir," Captain Loretta Shoupe told Augustus Khumalo quietly, "Communications is picking up an all-ships transmission from an Admiral Keeley O'Cleary. She wants to surrender, Sir."

Again, striking your wedge in the middle of a missile engagement is a terrible idea. Even if every missile that was fired was under the control of Apollo (they weren't) a few missiles are going to go off-target and kill ships they are not supposed to have targeted in the first place. Striking the wedge right as missiles are fired or are about to be, is suicidal.

Bill Woods wrote:And the country is best served by demonstrating whenever practical that the Manties are not the bloodthirsty 'neobarbarians' they're being made out to be -- that they aren't killing anyone they don't have to, and the blame for the debacle lies, yet again, with those [unprintable] politicians in Chicago.

Again. She gave Filareta plenty of chances to surrender. And, from her point of view, she was given exactly zero choice by that same admiral after he flushed every single one of his pods. In the middle of battle, you can't take the time to sit down and analyze why he would do something so idiotic, you make sure he can't do it again.

Later, after the battle, she became hysterical after she realized that he was probably controlled. But Thiesman is correct. If she had waited until after they had soaked up the missiles, she would have been derelict in her duties, and should have been relieved.

Also, to hell with what the politicians Old Chicago thinks. It doesn't matter how it would have gone. If Filareta had been allowed to surrender, I'm sure the politicians would have tried to spin it somehow. It's way past caring what they think, since they voiced their opinion by sending a fleet to Manticore.

Return to Honorverse