Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

New Manty ship ideas.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: AW: New Manty ship ideas.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

friessomecircuits wrote:Well, trial and Error with stupid ideas are valid in Military research.

In this case, Skimpy's errors ar a trial to all. :roll:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Re: New Manty ship ideas.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:57 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Bill Woods,

I would just add to the other comments that the MAlign's macro command didn't specify Filareta's half of Tango 1's 40 SD's, it simply launched all 5,120 pods at whatever they could individually see.

Such indiscriminate targeting meant everything had to be protected, and the LAC's were the most exposed to start with.

Given how BoMA, and other battles have reappeared in later textev, in memory, or a flash back like Mike at Solon, or reviewed via another character's perspective like Tourville, we may yet have future memories of Second Manticore [or do people prefer SBoM?] from other allied participants, but I wouldn't be too surprised if RFC doesn't have a SLN officer or two think back to it at some future point when they're now allied with the GA attacking the MAlign, in order to clarify a couple of points that might have confused too many fans.

L

Bill Woods wrote:
Dafmeister wrote:On the subject of who should have fired, saying that Tourville's fleet should have done the shooting falls into the same trap as Honor's suggestion at the after-action conference that she should have just taken Filaretta's fire and given them another chance to surrender. If you recall, Tom Thiesman takes her head off at the knees for even thinking it, and quite rightly.

I don't know about that. It seems to me Honor had to take that first 50k-missile salvo anyway; the GA counter-attack couldn't reach the SL fleet fast enough to kill their fire controllers, right?

Honor could have broadcast to the Sollies, pointing out that even if every missile ran true, they'd just spent all of their missile pods to take out 40 Mantie ships -- only 10% of the GA fleet. So ... what were they going to do for an encore? Accomplishing their mission was obviously off the table. Even a remnant of their force surviving long enough to escape back outside the hyper-limit was dubious.

A notification that her first salvo was about to be launched, plus a reminder that the Spindle defenders had destroyed every ship targeted, coupled with a promise to abort fire on any ship that dropped its wedge might have reduced the toll.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: AW: New Manty ship ideas.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:
My favorite part is when he takes something that has already been destroyed, and uses it as the base on which his next idea rests, as if it is now canon.

His habit of doing that, as well as not even responding to people who point out where he's wrong (or stupid) is what leads me to believe he's just a simple troll.

Subtle, but still simple.

Or is ignoring and not peeking at certain people. Don't worry I'll never ignore you.

Return to Honorverse