Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by rdt   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 pm

rdt
Commodore

LarryWill729 wrote:I just do NOT want to see ships with rocket engines in the movie such as some of the cover art shows.
These are REACTIONLES DRIVES!

I also would like to see some of the Bridge action when the ship takes a hit caused by an actual tilt of the stage, not all the actors and cameras moving on a cue. Think flight simulator type platforms the bridge sets are built onto.

I also want to see door buttons to open and close them, not proximity sensors.

Just as there are folks whose job is to make sure of continuity in a film, there ought to be someone in charge of making sure that the small stuff in the Honorverse is correct, as well. There are people who will look at a movie set and immediately know that the coke bottle on the table is wrong because the movie takes place in the 1930's, not the 2000's. I do agree with your point and it is a point that points to a bigger point.
Post by phillies   » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:46 pm

phillies
Admiral

Then introduce the sound as pseudogravity waves inducing vibration in the hulls of nearby ships.

Digby wrote:There have been a lot of arguments for and against the absence of sound in space. My view is that remaining true to the science and keeping it silent is something to be exploited for dramatic effect. It is insufferably patronising to introduce sound simply because one thinks the audience is dumb.

On the other hand, I concede that laser beams would have to be shown as thin lines of light. Otherwise there would be no way for the audience to link a distant explosion to the sudden damage or destruction of the target.

However, I see a problem for the purists. Presumably the beam remains roughly constant in diameter between source and target. If the camera viewpoint is near the source, the beam would soon dwindle to invisibility on its way to the target. A similar problem occurs when the viewpoint is near the target. Is there a way to cope with this difficulty?
Making Ships Distinctive
Post by MadYank   » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:08 am

MadYank
Ensign

RFC -

Just a thought, and I don't know if this has been presented already or not (I'm at work, and 32 pagews of posts is too much to hit right now).
When the "Honorverse, the Game" effort was starting up, the wedge was being shown in their snippet previews as being a light purple translucent effect in-screen. What is the possibility of using that effect, with a different color for different fleets, along with the "smart paint", to differentiate between fleets? I don't KNOW if it would work, but something along the lines of a blue-ish or reddish tinge for RMN, greenish for PN/RHN, Pale Yellow for Sollies, merchies get a different color - you get the idea? Laong with the smart paint, it MIGHT be enough to make them just unique enough to satisfy both the "purists" and the folks who can't tell a StarFleet heavy cruiser from BattleStar Galactica from an F-14 Tomcat without a cheat sheet.
Re: Making Ships Distinctive
Post by SWM   » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

MadYank wrote:RFC -

Just a thought, and I don't know if this has been presented already or not (I'm at work, and 32 pagews of posts is too much to hit right now).
When the "Honorverse, the Game" effort was starting up, the wedge was being shown in their snippet previews as being a light purple translucent effect in-screen. What is the possibility of using that effect, with a different color for different fleets, along with the "smart paint", to differentiate between fleets? I don't KNOW if it would work, but something along the lines of a blue-ish or reddish tinge for RMN, greenish for PN/RHN, Pale Yellow for Sollies, merchies get a different color - you get the idea? Laong with the smart paint, it MIGHT be enough to make them just unique enough to satisfy both the "purists" and the folks who can't tell a StarFleet heavy cruiser from BattleStar Galactica from an F-14 Tomcat without a cheat sheet.

An interesting idea. The biggest problem I can see is that sometimes you will want an exterior ship view in a scene where the ship does not have a wedge up. So you will need some other method of visually identifying ships.

An interesting variation on your idea is to have visual differences in the wedge depending on wedge strength--which is closely tied to ship mass and civilian vs. military impellers. That would be even more plausible than nationality differences in wedges.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Digby   » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Digby
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I've had a rethink about the problem of depicting a space battle after reading the post by Imaginos on page 10 of the topic "What you most want from the movie". To be true to the distances mentioned in the books you'd hardly be able to discern adjacent ships in a task force. This puts the problem in a different light.

This reminds me -- there are several topics all to do with the movie. Wouldn't it be useful to group them all together in a single category? In fact, it seems to me that with over 1800 topics it would be extremely useful to group them all in appropriate categories. Comment?
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:37 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Werrf wrote:
NeverendingWar wrote:I was thinking about Babylon 5´s Susan Ivanova for Honor at a time, but that would´t work anymore :/

Edit: can´t work the link, but just google her if you haven´t watched Babylon 5 (which you should! ;))

And I mistook Elysium for Oblivion, I hope you guys noticed. Not seen Elysium yet.

Yes, Claudia Christian has come up a few times :) She is indeed too old for Honor, but she might do well as Mercedes Brigham or Iris Babcock - maybe even Lady Emily?

Totally unsuitable as Lady Emily. I never thought she was a particularly good fit for Honor either, though I like the Claudia Christian's work. David apparently disagreed, so clearly I was wrong there.

Best fit I ever imagined, if age were not a factor, was perhaps Sigourney Weaver.

dreamrider
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

dreamrider wrote:
Best fit I ever imagined, if age were not a factor, was perhaps Sigourney Weaver.

dreamrider

I seem to recall David mentioning at one point that the best description of Honor was a young Sigourney Weaver with Asian eyes.
Post by yanessa   » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

yanessa
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:
dreamrider wrote:

dreamrider

I seem to recall David mentioning at one point that the best description of Honor was a young Sigourney Weaver with Asian eyes.

My current favourite would be
Daniela Ruah (from NCIS LA: "Kensie Blye")
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2079733/
she got the looks, the size (almost) and is athletic enough
(as I already mentioned in this thread http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?%20f=1&t=4636)

Damian Lewis (Charlie Crews in "Life", Major Richard Winters in "Band of Brothers", Sergeant Nicholas Brody in "Homeland") might be a candidate for Admiral James Bowie Webster (sadly he's to old for Samuel Houston Webster)
and
Claire Danes ("Carrie" Mathison from "Homeland")
might be a candidate for Admiral Hemphill

Digby wrote:I've had a rethink about the problem of depicting a space battle after reading the post by Imaginos on page 10 of the topic "What you most want from the movie". To be true to the distances mentioned in the books you'd hardly be able to discern adjacent ships in a task force. This puts the problem in a different light.

This reminds me -- there are several topics all to do with the movie. Wouldn't it be useful to group them all together in a single category? In fact, it seems to me that with over 1800 topics it would be extremely useful to group them all in appropriate categories. Comment?

The scale will be a definite problem in depicting the battles ...

grouping the threads sounds good to me!

:mrgreen:
"Audemus ius nostra defendere"
(We dare defend our rights)
672nd Renegade Pursuit Wing (Minerva)
"Witches of Defiance"
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 pm

namelessfly

MaxxQ wrote:
dreamrider wrote:

dreamrider

In other words, no breasts unless the CGI people who did Galaxy Quest get to modify her.
Post by rmsgrey   » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:25 am

rmsgrey
Commander

Sound in space: Yeah, there's no sound in space, but sound is the best way humans have for picking up directional cues from outside field of view, so any competent space navy will include simulated battle noise piped into anywhere tactical decisions are being made simply to provide better situational awareness. The tricky part is explaining that to the audience without dropping out of character, or taking up too much screen-time - if it were a TV series rather than a movie, it'd be easier to find time for, say, a scene where a new captain changes the bridge sound effects - though, thinking about it, it's more likely to be standardised across a given navy so that transferred crew don't need to learn a new set of meanings...

Scale of space battles: That's a problem already faced in-universe by the tactical displays - the answer is to mostly use the tactical displays, and only use "live" footage on special occasions (and be prepared with swooping zooms like BSG used on occasion...

Return to Honorverse