Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 146 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

61Cygni wrote:
NeverendingWar wrote:They should do the Movie in full CGI. Finding a Honor actress is too though and all the prolong society awkwardness... I just don´t know :/

Considering that Evergreen Films' current production is the CGI Walking With Dinosaurs 3D, this really may not be a bad idea. Does this studio have any experience at making live-action films? And what's the projected budget going to be? Doesn't need to be extravagant, look what the current movie Elysium did with $90 million; from reviews the visual effects (from Weta) are execellent.

I have this feeling that the movie is going to be some real low-budget no-name cheapie that gets dumped into the January-Feburary period, the traditional "garbage dumpster" for Hollywood.

It may be many things, but “low-budget, no-name cheapie gets dumped into the January-February period, the traditional ‘garbage dumpster’ for Hollywood” it won’t be. The movie may or may not be a success; if it isn’t, it won’t be because it wasn’t properly budgeted for and didn’t use the best talent — behind and in front of the camera — available. Obviously, there are a whole lot of unknowns in any cinematic project, and even those which start out with high hopes and a significant budget don’t always succeed. One need only look at the numbers of big-budget, big-name pictures that bomb at the box office to be aware of that. The people involved with this particular project were aware of the need to go out and get the expertise they didn’t already have (which they have done, so far, quite well, in my opinion), however, and they are allocating a significant production budget. In short, they have no interest in producing an under-funded bomb, and I’m not sure exactly why you have the feeling that it will be one.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Hellcat13   » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Hellcat13
Ensign

I have faith that you and evergreen will put out your best bet...besides it can't be worse than Wing Commander.
Post by Quinlan73   » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Quinlan73
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hellcat13 wrote:I have faith that you and evergreen will put out your best bet...besides it can't be worse than Wing Commander.

Oh hell yes!
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Quinlan73 wrote:
Hellcat13 wrote:I have faith that you and evergreen will put out your best bet...besides it can't be worse than Wing Commander.

Oh hell yes!

Hell, Wing Commander was a Best Picture Oscar contender compared to Starship Troopers.
Post by seahorse1   » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 pm

seahorse1
Captain of the List

If they make a really good movie, I can forgive a lot of things.

Honor doesn't have to be really tall.
She doesn't have to look Eurasian.
She doesn't have to be jaw droppingly beautiful.
The actress doesn't have to be any good at martial arts.
She can be older/younger.
The ships can look like a Star Destroyer or the USS Enterprise (both space or sea going version)
You can drop Venizelos, Scotty, numerous armsmen, [name character here].
You can merge Alice Truman's and Alistair's character into one.
You can make all the Sphinx animals, including treecats 4 legged instead of 6.

You can do all those things and more. All those 'sins' can be forgiven, IF and only IF you make a good movie.
Post by DrMegaverse   » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:
Quinlan73 wrote:[quote="Hellcat13"]I have faith that you and evergreen will put out your best bet...besides it can't be worse than Wing Commander.

Oh hell yes!

Hell, Wing Commander was a Best Picture Oscar contender compared to Starship Troopers.[/quote]

I'm going to commit a sci-fi sin here........I enjoyed Wing Commander. Sling your stones! Lol

Mr Weber, I'd just like to say thank you for this post and all the interaction you have with us on the forums here. It's so rare to find an author of such quality who is so in touch with his fan base. It makes me smile just to see a new post from you and knowing its you. Thank you for a fine series, fine work, and all the fine interactions :-).
Post by MaxxQ   » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

DrMegaverse wrote:I'm going to commit a sci-fi sin here........I enjoyed Wing Commander. Sling your stones! Lol

No stones coming from me. I thought it wasn't *too* bad. It was mildly entertaining, if nothing else. 'Course, I never played the game(s), so wasn't as invested in the movie as others may have been.

OTOH, Starship Troopers is one of my top ten favorite SF books, and what Verhoeven did adapting it to film should be a capital offense. At least around here, I have a few allies - on another board I post on, only one other person besides myself hates that "film" (film of pond scum is more like it).
Post by namelessfly   » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 am

namelessfly

MaxxQ wrote:
DrMegaverse wrote:I'm going to commit a sci-fi sin here........I enjoyed Wing Commander. Sling your stones! Lol

No stones coming from me. I thought it wasn't *too* bad. It was mildly entertaining, if nothing else. 'Course, I never played the game(s), so wasn't as invested in the movie as others may have been.

OTOH, Starship Troopers is one of my top ten favorite SF books, and what Verhoeven did adapting it to film should be a capital offense. At least around here, I have a few allies - on another board I post on, only one other person besides myself hates that "film" (film of pond scum is more like it).

I did like the shower scene as well as the naked girl in the tent scene. Other than that, it was drivel. Doogy Howser MD's career still has not recovered.
Post by DrMegaverse   » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:02 am

DrMegaverse
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:

Starship Troopers, 2001, and Neuromacer are my "Holy Trinity" I try to introduce sci-fi newbies to before I slide OBS into their palms :-D
Post by waddles for desert   » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:54 am

waddles for desert
Admiral

Starships Troopers is a good book. AND, I liked the movie.

The tolerance of the peaceful division of public opinion, the pro-govenment media hype, the accountability and prompt relief of failed leaders and the critical role in innovation and victory of the élan of the gung ho grunt seemed true to Heinlein's 40 year old themes in a 21 first century package.

Return to Honorverse