Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 pm

saber964
Admiral

Taurus2 wrote:
wholf359 wrote:On casting I feel its important not to "White wash" the cast. Keeping the Queen, Ramirez, Mike Henke in the future, and others as close as possible to how there described in the books. I know changes are going to happen, always do no matter what book you turn into a movie, but a big feel for me in the Honor universe is how all different types of people mix easily is a big part of my enjoyment. Removing that mix would weaken it for me, and make possible later movies weaker if we get to dealing with the Alignment.

I have to second this post in its entirety. Science fiction in general and film in general are very white- and male-dominated media, and the fact that the Honorverse bucks both these trends is part of what makes it so awesome. In its day, Star Trek TOS was progressive just for having Nichelle Nichols as a bridge officer; for a 21st century film... well, I'll just quote WEB du Havel from Crown of Slaves: "Today's universe assigns [Henke] to command navies, and doesn't even think about it."

On the topic of Mike Henke, perhaps she and Alice Truman could be combined for the films?

Try James H. Cobb's, Amanda Garret siries.

Choosers of the Slain
Target Lock
Storm Dragon
Seafighters
Post by jthoma8318   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:29 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

MaxxQ wrote:Regarding 3D movies:

Two words - they suck.

More precisely, the movies themselves are decent, but the 3D effect sucks. I have yet to see one that actually looks like more than a pop-up book, not to mention, everything is still constrained inside the borders of the screen, making for quite a bit of artificiality in the alleged 3D effect.

Oh, and let's not forget the requisite throwing/shooting/crashing-something-directly-at-the-camera scene(s) :roll: . This is probably the most cliche and stupid thing in 3D movies. You'd think after 60-odd years of off and on 3D movies that *some* studio or director would get past that cheesey "thrill".

I won't go as far as to say that I'll refuse to watch it if it's available *only* in 3D, but it'll be a tough decision.

I pretty much agree with you. The stupid glasses screw with my REAL glasses. Be nice if the just made the damn thing the size of those old people sunglasses that they sold on TV that fit over glasses. Not like you're going for the suave look wearing the damn things anyway.
Post by jthoma8318   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

rdt wrote:
Taurus2 wrote:
... well, I'll just quote WEB du Havel from Crown of Slaves: "Today's universe assigns [Henke] to command navies, and doesn't even think about it."

On the topic of Mike Henke, perhaps she and Alice Truman could be combined for the films?

Yes, a very dark skinned blond would do the trick there. (kidding)

If you are going to show, as rfc does in the Honorverse, that all humans are the same no matter their skin or any other physical attribute, then we need to see Henke, if we ever do see her (she is not in HoQ), as rfc has conceived her.

Truman is really a necessary character--go through the cast of characters in one of the more recent books and cross out all the names that do not appear in HoQ. Commander Truman is a vital character in HoQ and and a continuing presence in the series.

I don't think you can combine those two. Both are too important to the story arc.
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:Try James H. Cobb's, Amanda Garret siries.

Choosers of the Slain
Target Lock
Storm Dragon
Seafighters

Good series. Pity that the ship's namesake made the ship's name entirely impossible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Cunningham
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

wholf359 wrote:On casting I feel its important not to "White wash" the cast. Keeping the Queen, Ramirez, Mike Henke in the future, and others as close as possible to how there described in the books. I know changes are going to happen, always do no matter what book you turn into a movie, but a big feel for me in the Honor universe is how all different types of people mix easily is a big part of my enjoyment. Removing that mix would weaken it for me, and make possible later movies weaker if we get to dealing with the Alignment.

Evergreen plans to maintain the character mix of the books. Queen Elizabeth and Mike Henke will be black, Fritz Montoya will be Hispanic or Iberian, etc. This is part of the texture of the books and the Honorverse's societies that they very much want to maintain.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Scuffles   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Scuffles
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Prolong is going to be a problem and — at present — Evergreen is definitely planning on keeping it. Finding an actress in her 20s with the gravitas to play a starship captain in her mid-40s is going to be a nontrivial challenge. And it will also be a nontrivial challenge to do the number of movies they're hoping for without the aging of the characters becoming a factor. Like a lot of things in life, the best you can do is the best you can do, and that's what Evergreen intends to do. The very best they can.

Prolong was one of the other things I was wondering about for sure. It seems that you're going to have to find at least a handful of fairly young actors / actresses to get across the point of just how young some prolong recipients can look at times.

And then get them to stay young looking. Actually it might be easiest just to actually invent prolong. That'd be good, you should get right on that please! :D

Also, if you DO need a ridiculously young-looking Ensign or something hire me, I'd fit the part great! (Don't hire me, I almost failed drama, I'd be awful).
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:46 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

clancy688 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:It will be in 3-D and it will be a cinematic release, not made-for-TV.

[...]

Ninety minutes is the target for the first screenplay, because they always grow. I'm anticipating that the final movie will actually be in the 2-hour range.

Wow! That's great news. :)

Thank you for this information. (And I certainly hope for some "real" 3D-camera action instead of upconverting - but apparently, Evergreen Films has some connections to James Cameron, therefore... one can hope :D )

To the best of my knowledge, Evergreen has no connection with Cameron. Nor --- having seen samples of their work --- does Evergreen need the connection to do some incredible work.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Launian   » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 am

Launian
Ensign

I literally can't describe how excited I am! Even if all those games and GN and whatnot are going to make me a very poor man (what with all the new games that are coming at the end of this year and the next one) :D

I know there'll be things that piss me off when the movie finally comes out, but for now, the only thing I want to say is that it's such a great pleasure to see an author so mindfull of its fanbase that would actually give us a personal briefing on such early development talks. And then you come to the forums and actually awnser to all the dumb and not-so-dumb questions we have... It's just priceless. That, and the fact that you didn't pull a Foraker on us and just said "Oops, forgot to mention we might change some things" at premiere day. Knowing the kind of challenge the movie will be facing, it is not an easy thing to run the risk of allienating your fanbase by telling us that things as crucial as Honor and Nimitz' physical relationship will change. Seriously, thank you for being so forthcoming.

Now, I guess it's time to start thinking about who would be perfect to fill the roles of everyone involved in HotQ. And in that note, I'd ask you to choose someone people really hate for Alistair's role, or there'll be hell to pay when we get to AAC.

Again, thank you for the update. Will be waiting the interview :)
Post by Spacekiwi   » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

If they film in HFR, and 3d, I cant wait to see how cool it looks! :)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 am

namelessfly

I would suggest barrowing a very brief scene from Service of the Sword

Have a very young, Abigail Hearnes standing on the balcony of her house with her dater. They are watching as a Manticoran CA cammanded by a woman fights a BC twice her mass. The numerous, staccato fusion explosions visible to them (actually would not be given the range but I will eagerly concede Weber poetic license on this to convey the sense of imminent threat) inspire Abby to tell her Steadholder father that she wants to be a Naval Captain someday.

Return to Honorverse