Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Back from LA with Honorverse move news

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Back from LA with Honorverse move news
Post by clancy688   » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Well, Elysium is rated R after all (in the US). It's actually rated FSK16 in Germany. ;)

Which, I think, should be totally adequate. If they're targeting an audience younger than 17, they are doing something wrong anyway (and I don't even want to think about what it would mean for the movie when they're creating it with kids in mind)
Post by 61Cygni   » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm

61Cygni
Commander

Unfortunately, here in the US, action movies have been largely neutered due to the studios' mania for a PG-13 rating. They want that big opening weekend gross, and fear that an "R" will scare away much of the audience, so movie after movie now is forced into a PG-13, even when a movie truly needs an "R" (remember Live Free Or Die Hard? A PG-13 Die Hard movie?!). Last year's Prometheus from Ridley Scott was a rare thing now, an R-rated big studio production. It didn't set the box office on fire, but did just well enough that there will be a sequel.

On the other hand, there's a remake of Paul Verhoeven's Robocop coming, and it will be...yup, PG-13! It's some kind of sick joke.
Post by NeverendingWar   » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:51 pm

NeverendingWar
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:

It may be many things, but “low-budget, no-name cheapie gets dumped into the January-February period, the traditional ‘garbage dumpster’ for Hollywood” it won’t be. The movie may or may not be a success; if it isn’t, it won’t be because it wasn’t properly budgeted for and didn’t use the best talent — behind and in front of the camera — available. Obviously, there are a whole lot of unknowns in any cinematic project, and even those which start out with high hopes and a significant budget don’t always succeed. One need only look at the numbers of big-budget, big-name pictures that bomb at the box office to be aware of that. The people involved with this particular project were aware of the need to go out and get the expertise they didn’t already have (which they have done, so far, quite well, in my opinion), however, and they are allocating a significant production budget. In short, they have no interest in producing an under-funded bomb, and I’m not sure exactly why you have the feeling that it will be one.

I don´t even know if Hollywood knows how to do things cheap. What book would be the inspiration? I would think the budget would greatly depend on that one. Basilisk for one can be quite reasonable with most of the action going on in space and on the open non tightly colonized wilderness (Plus one of the best ground combat scenes in the books yet imo)

But doing scenes from the haven system purges and rebellions could get expensive (not saying out of budget). The 5th. Element had some amazing scenes for a modern City. Or blade runner for that matter. Does anyone know of Legend of Galactic Heroes? It´s old anime, but some great fleet action going on.

I´m excited to find out how the Studio would handle the Actor part. Sure is a challenge for them to act 30/40/50 when they look like 15. Smiling even now as I think about one. I do believe it´s a very important part of the books to show that new Social structure. May even give people a glimpse of what is really about to head our way if we increase life expectancy and how it plays out in the careers. Good stuff :twisted:

Oh and Oblivion not Elysium was very good, those drones need anger management classes!
Last edited by NeverendingWar on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

rdt wrote:As I recall, there are four "space" battles in HotQ:
the forlorn hope battle in which Courvoisier is killed;
the exchange between McKeon and the enemy LAC;
the short battle in which Theisman disables Truman's ship;
and the ultimate battle in which Honor destroys the Haven/Masadan battle cruiser.

Unless you want to count the various raids against Grayson mining outposts (used to lure them out to the forlorn hope battle you mentioned).

Those may not need to appear onscreen, but I have to admit I would like seeing the (first?) one that bagged a Masadan ship when their units were allowed too close.
Post by clancy688   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:56 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

61Cygni wrote:On the other hand, there's a remake of Paul Verhoeven's Robocop coming, and it will be...yup, PG-13! It's some kind of sick joke.

A PG-13 Robocop would be like Formula 1 with 100 mph speed limit... oO

The violence was part of what made Robocop so successful.

Oh and Elysium was very good, those drones need anger management classes!

If you take the plotholes away... yes, it's good.
Post by The E   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:26 am

The E
Admiral

NeverendingWar wrote:I don´t even know if Hollywood knows how to do things cheap. What book would be the inspiration? I would think the budget would greatly depend on that one. Basilisk for one can be quite reasonable with most of the action going on in space and on the open non tightly colonized wilderness (Plus one of the best ground combat scenes in the books yet imo)

The cheapest one would probably be Short Victorious War. Very little on-location shooting, lots of sets that are somewhat permanent, very little heavy effects scenes (Yes, there are quite a few space battles. These are easier to do than Stilty ground assaults), a somewhat reduced cast...
Post by NeverendingWar   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 am

NeverendingWar
Lieutenant Commander

The E wrote:
The cheapest one would probably be Short Victorious War. Very little on-location shooting, lots of sets that are somewhat permanent, very little heavy effects scenes (Yes, there are quite a few space battles. These are easier to do than Stilty ground assaults), a somewhat reduced cast...

I agree, but would it also be the best one to introduce Honor to Hollywood? Basilisk does seem a good choice imo, Alistair McKeon get´s introduced as Honor shapes the whole crew into form and really shows what she is all about...before becoming the Peeps boogeyman :twisted:

Lot´s of Action and Drama going on. We are spoiled because we know Honors History but the audience doesn´t So Basilisk could give them the best opportunity to fall in love with the universe imo. You still could save a little bit by cutting technical details and borrow from other books maybe.

Or Honor could already be a big distinguished Hero Admiral "Salamander" and go from there with her history being played back when she or her crew remembers things. Can´t really make a Movie for every book (too many) so borrowing from others could be the best option, instead on only focusing on one.

clancy688 wrote:If you take the plotholes away... yes, it's good.

Still was a good movie, most movies have Plot holes. But the visuals and music was quite good (especially visuals) and the story better than the Hollywood standard imo.

Oh and yay just finished my snotty cruise! Now back to the Advanced Tactical Course :evil:
Post by 61Cygni   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 am

61Cygni
Commander

clancy688 wrote:
61Cygni wrote:On the other hand, there's a remake of Paul Verhoeven's Robocop coming, and it will be...yup, PG-13! It's some kind of sick joke.

A PG-13 Robocop would be like Formula 1 with 100 mph speed limit... oO

The violence was part of what made Robocop so successful.

See this: Robocopy :D
Post by rdt   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:19 pm

rdt
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
rdt wrote:As I recall, there are four "space" battles in HotQ:
the forlorn hope battle in which Courvoisier is killed;
the exchange between McKeon and the enemy LAC;
the short battle in which Theisman disables Truman's ship;
and the ultimate battle in which Honor destroys the Haven/Masadan battle cruiser.

Unless you want to count the various raids against Grayson mining outposts (used to lure them out to the forlorn hope battle you mentioned).

Those may not need to appear onscreen, but I have to admit I would like seeing the (first?) one that bagged a Masadan ship when their units were allowed too close.

Right! Forgot about that one. I agree. Thanks.
Post by rdt   » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 pm

rdt
Commodore

The E wrote:
NeverendingWar wrote:I don´t even know if Hollywood knows how to do things cheap. What book would be the inspiration? I would think the budget would greatly depend on that one. Basilisk for one can be quite reasonable with most of the action going on in space and on the open non tightly colonized wilderness (Plus one of the best ground combat scenes in the books yet imo)

Again, I refer to Europa Report for a low budget but very well done SF film.

Return to Honorverse