Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests

Treecat Jobs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat Jobs
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I think one of the most useful and successful treecat jobs would be to join the Honorverse version of eHarmony. A successful eHarmony commercial...

"We'll match you with a winner every time. You want to know if he loves you? Or if he just lusts you? Let our resident treecat untangle the emotions for you. After all, 'cats have eight lives to waste. You don't."

As delivered by a now adult and sexy version of Caroline who is bonded to a 'cat. https://youtu.be/ghOL7iwZANE

She improvises.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:
saber964 wrote:I've been thinking about this for awhile. And I was wondering what kind of civilian type jobs treecats can preform with little or no training.

Here is a possible list

Backcountry tour guide
Tour guide
Naturalist cataloging flora and fauna with help from humans
Search and Rescue
Law enforcement
Child Care

I have thought about this also and, with out reading all the other posts... I think that tree cats need to develop or learn some sort of hieroglyphics so they can use computers or cook up a meal while living in a closer relationship to two footers.
A picture is worth a thousand words and cannot be misspelled ;)

They like to fly (hang glide anyway) so maybe they could learn to pilot highly stealthed scout ships to assist with anti piracy patrols or to spread out the defense network...
A cruiser enters a system and dumps several TC Scoutships to move out ahead like whiskers and/or behind it.
Maybe they stay in the system to be picked up by the next cruiser in.
Honor and Black Bird Yards should be able to design ships. This is a variation of your search and rescue and law enforcement ideas. I think that they would be able to sneak up on one of the ships that Manpower used to attack Mantacore and Greyson or a pirate laying dogo as well and knock it off if it shows hostile intent as heavily as they sneak up on a chipmunk.
Thinking of the ship that was exploring the worm hole out of Erwhin/Torch system. Mantacore has to re-enter that system or at least keep as close a covert watch over their end of the wormhole.

The crew of such a ship might need a human or three to tend to engineering needs and astro-gation but I bet the tree cats could fire weapons well enough.

I think that Samantha or one of her kittens might suggest that Skydomes should cover some of the clans ranges so that the cats can begin to grow their own crops and/or livestock back on Sphinx and I think that a colony would be heading towards Haven and Torch as well and they would likely want some of the foods they like as well as some the meet their needs for minerals and vitamins.
In Treecats War, the result of the fire season left one clan without adequate food for the coming winter and now that some have seen the results of domed areas... I don't know, maybe Honor will cover a valley in her Duchie and they see the difference between the snow covered 'natural' area and the climate controlled one that might be found at her residence and office complex, why would people chose to live with the deep snow if they didn't have to when a short flight takes you to the ski slopes for the afternoon. Also David Weber has hinted that kittens seem to be thinking more flexibly/creatively as a result of spending all their lives with two footed people.

I don't know... I have been wrong before.

The problem is with building domes on Sphinx is they're not needed. Grayson is a inhabited natural toxic waste dump and need the domes to alleviate the ongoing expense of continuously decontaminating farmland. As for treecats on Sphinx they already are regularly visited by rangers and veterinarians and are assisted by the rangers when times are very tough. For example look at Trees Enfolding clan vs Swaying Fronds clan, Trees Enfolding would've suffered a "hard winter" while Swaying Fronds would've probably been wiped out by starvation. The SFS rangers offer assistance and try not to foster dependency.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

The problem is with building domes on Sphinx is they're not needed. Grayson is a inhabited natural toxic waste dump and need the domes to alleviate the ongoing expense of continuously decontaminating farmland. As for treecats on Sphinx they already are regularly visited by rangers and veterinarians and are assisted by the rangers when times are very tough. For example look at Trees Enfolding clan vs Swaying Fronds clan, Trees Enfolding would've suffered a "hard winter" while Swaying Fronds would've probably been wiped out by starvation. The SFS rangers offer assistance and try not to foster dependency.[i]

Perhaps... but don't forget that one entire clan has been wiped out in the sneak attack that Manpower launched, the treecats had already come to a decision that they should consider moving some of them to other planets and had done that with the first colony movement to Grayson and things could begin to pick up momentum now. In my earlier post,I suggested that people would likely opt for favorable climate over living in the snow (given the choice) and a moderate sized dome over some transplanted picketwood trees could serve as the embassy on any planet that they move out to while giving them a touch of home... Beowulf, Haven, Torch etc and, the story that was told in Treecat Wars, took place after SFS was established but before 'cats started to learn to sign. Things will be much different in the relationship with 'cats and people.
Perhaps some of the delegates from Haven will be adopted now that there is a mutual defense treaty

Just some of my guessing... we have to wait to see what DW decides won't we? ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sun May 08, 2016 12:01 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Star Knight wrote:Why would they want to work in the first place?

I am stunned that this much time has passed since Star Knight posted this!!!

I have been rereading the series in anticipation of the next book and found that the Tree cats stated that they want to help in one of the later books. I did not make specific not of which one so I cannot back this with text-evidence and you can either take my word for it or read them your self.

I also found myself wondering if/how much the 'cats influenced Honor as she planed her "mouse trap" for the SLN. When I reread, I noticed that there was generally at least one present while she was making her plans and, they are natural hunters.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon May 09, 2016 11:06 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:...
I also found myself wondering if/how much the 'cats influenced Honor as she planed her "mouse trap" for the SLN. When I reread, I noticed that there was generally at least one present while she was making her plans and, they are natural hunters.

Any military commander of any real skill can also be considered a "natural hunter".
And treecats doesn´t really have the understanding needed to set largescale spacenavy traps. HH does.
Post by Somtaaw   » Mon May 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:I also found myself wondering if/how much the 'cats influenced Honor as she planed her "mouse trap" for the SLN. When I reread, I noticed that there was generally at least one present while she was making her plans and, they are natural hunters.

Well treecats 'hunt' dangerous prey, such as hexapumas, as an entire clan action. They swarm the beast under with that pack mentality, and whenever the hexapuma is looking one way they attack from the other...

Which Honor already does, and has been doing everywhere from First Hancock, to Fourth Yeltsin, to Cerberus and Sidemore. Sucker punches, and misdirection games, that only Bellefeuille has shown an artform of using. Oversteegen is another rather sneaky flag officer, but not quite upto either HH or Bellefeuille's levels.

Return to Honorverse