Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

Treecat Jobs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Treecat Jobs
Post by niethil   » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:25 am

niethil
Commander

The Tradecats : they can sense the mood of the financial markets.

Until Moody's disrupt their senses or they get jailed for insider trading, that is.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by jcochran   » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 pm

jcochran
Midshipman

dscott8 wrote:...
Position a treecat at the door of your retail establishment, and shoplifting will cease to be a problem.

Not really assuming that shoplifting still exists.
The first thing that comes to mind is to take something small and valuable, then drop it into the purse or pocket of some innocent. Wait for them walk outside the establishment, then take the item back via pick pocketing or some other sleight of hand.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:03 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

jcochran wrote:
Position a treecat at the door of your retail establishment, and shoplifting will cease to be a problem.

The first thing that comes to mind is to take something small and valuable, then drop it into the purse or pocket of some innocent. Wait for them walk outside the establishment, then take the item back via pick pocketing or some other sleight of hand.

But wouldn't the 'cat sense the nefarious intentions of the lag on his/her way into the establishment? Thus drawing the attention of the floor walkers to said lag.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by SWM   » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:54 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:But wouldn't the 'cat sense the nefarious intentions of the lag on his/her way into the establishment? Thus drawing the attention of the floor walkers to said lag.

Nefarious thoughts are hardly uncommon among shoppers.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Erls   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Ideal jobs for 'cats:

1- Police work. We are all used to the idea of K9 drug units.. Imagine how effective police could be when officers are paired with Treecats. Not every officer, certainly. But some. Especially the detectives and investigators who would be actively engaged in questioning people.

2- Child care. As said, 'cats absolutely love children. And, what kid wouldn't love a soft and fluffy animal that can throw a Frisbee, tear around a room like the Tasmanian devil, and play keep away with the best in the world?

3- Politics. Just imagine the turmoil in the House of Lords when Elizabeth takes the step of giving multiple 'cats "heredity" titles of lordship on Sphinx! By heredity, I mean the title would pass from 'cat to 'cat based upon that Clans choosing. Each clan gets its own lordship and full legal dominion over its range/territory. Talk about cleaning up politics in Manticore...

4- Diplomacy. Imagine being on the opposite side of the table from a RMN diplomat and a 'cat who can sense every thing you have. What Honor was able to due when she was talking with Haven, yup.

Just a few.

And yes, I would absolutely love to see a 'history' of the people as written by Golden Voice. On top of that, I would like to see Sphinxian schools view signing as a second language that all students must learn. Imagine as a high school having a class in arboreal studies taught by a 'cat via signs?
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:06 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Erls wrote:Ideal jobs for 'cats:

1- Police work. We are all used to the idea of K9 drug units.. Imagine how effective police could be when officers are paired with Treecats. Not every officer, certainly. But some. Especially the detectives and investigators who would be actively engaged in questioning people.

2- Child care. As said, 'cats absolutely love children. And, what kid wouldn't love a soft and fluffy animal that can throw a Frisbee, tear around a room like the Tasmanian devil, and play keep away with the best in the world?

3- Politics. Just imagine the turmoil in the House of Lords when Elizabeth takes the step of giving multiple 'cats "heredity" titles of lordship on Sphinx! By heredity, I mean the title would pass from 'cat to 'cat based upon that Clans choosing. Each clan gets its own lordship and full legal dominion over its range/territory. Talk about cleaning up politics in Manticore...

4- Diplomacy. Imagine being on the opposite side of the table from a RMN diplomat and a 'cat who can sense every thing you have. What Honor was able to due when she was talking with Haven, yup.

Just a few.

And yes, I would absolutely love to see a 'history' of the people as written by Golden Voice. On top of that, I would like to see Sphinxian schools view signing as a second language that all students must learn. Imagine as a high school having a class in arboreal studies taught by a 'cat via signs?

Wholeheartedly agree with that, and would extend it to Manticore & Gryphon seeing as there are 'cat colonies on those planets now.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

some excellent ideas there. the one about given the cat's mebership in the lords was brilliant.

also the idea of a cat teacher on things like forestry/agriculture is inspired.
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jcochran wrote:

Difficult to believe any form of shoplifting exists in a technologically advanced Honorverse.

Very cheap and undetectably small tracking devices are incorporated into the packaging that tracks packages throughout the store with visual cues and audible alarms if they near much less cross specified thresholds or boundaries and sounds an alarm if the seal is prematurely broken or attempted. Etc.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by niethil   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:59 pm

niethil
Commander

Law-enforcement jobs are banned for Treecats, I think. It would violate defence's rights.

The treeconsort could receive a title, when there is one. He might even be put to contribution now. Ariel's good life is over, he will be forced to sign speeches, and cut ribbons (treecats might turn out to be very good at that one), etc.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

petercharters wrote:
A translator is a pretty trivial piece of tech for the Honorverse, and the only reason RFC hasn't introduced one (I suspect) is for flavour...

I would suspect it´s more a matter of just "haven´t happened YET". There´s simply too little need for it up until just recently, so noone had enough reason to pay for creating one.

Though remember, "trivial" isn´t the right word for anything that involves translation. And treecats sign language is not yet a full out language but rather a cutdown "make it work" solution. That adds additional incentive to NOT create such a device, YET.

In-universe, i´m sure there will be something like it within a few decades for sure, but in the next 5 years? Hmmm...

Return to Honorverse