Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 141 guests

How old are Honorverse fans?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.

Your Age Group:

12 & under
No votes
Teens
4%
20s
18%
30s
22%
40s
21%
50s
19%
60s
13%
70s
4%
eighty and above
0%

Total votes : 273

Re: How old are Honorverse fans?
Post by FLHerne   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:56 pm

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:One of eight teens, that's 3% of those responding. Only ((262/3104) x 100)= 8.4% of registered users have responded.

Oops on the percentage/number thing, wasn't looking carefully enough. :oops:
If this place is anything like other forums I've been on for a while, the vast majority of users are likely bots, transient accounts etc.

[stops being lazy and actually checks]

Exactly 999 users (32%) have no posts at all.
1657 users (53%) have zero or one posts.
2881 users (93%) have less than 5 posts.

That leaves less users with 5 or more posts than voters on this thread, so almost all active users have probably voted by now.

Yay, numbers! :D
Also, my keyboard is working again.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:22 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

How many inactive or unused accounts though? what percentage of the total have visited in the last months say?

pokermind wrote:One of eight teens, that's 3% of those responding. Only ((262/3104) x 100)= 8.4% of registered users have responded.

Poker

FLHerne wrote:It seems I'm ne f three peple n the entire frum wh'se under 20. :? Seems a bit dd, since I knw several peple in RL wh als read and enjyed the series.

It seems my nt-quite-0 key is brken. :(
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by FLHerne   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:58 pm

FLHerne
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Spacekiwi wrote:How many inactive or unused accounts though? what percentage of the total have visited in the last months say?

My previous post has that looked at by post count.
The user-list doesn't show last-visited dates for some reason; I tried to write a script to scrape them off the individual user pages, but my login cookies (borrowed from firefox) keep expiring after a couple of pages. Don't know why, moving house tomorrow, might look at it again later in the week.
Post by KNick   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm

KNick
Admiral

I know there are at least a couple of dozen people who are registered who have never posted anything. I see them occasionally logged in, but they have 0 posts. They drop in a couple of times a month for a short while and then leave for a couple of weeks. We have also had a few long time members who had never posted anything join in discussions since the movie, con and game threads started.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:10 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Sorry about that. my thread didnt show your post when i wrote mine for some reason.

FLHerne wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:How many inactive or unused accounts though? what percentage of the total have visited in the last months say?

My previous post has that looked at by post count.
The user-list doesn't show last-visited dates for some reason; I tried to write a script to scrape them off the individual user pages, but my login cookies (borrowed from firefox) keep expiring after a couple of pages. Don't know why, moving house tomorrow, might look at it again later in the week.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Re: How old are Honerverse fans?
Post by KNick   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:56 am

KNick
Admiral

KNick wrote:It would be nice if those who were willing would go to

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Profile

and add their location to their sign in.

It would be nice also if the newcomers voted for either/or both of the series that they read.

Every time I bring this thread forward, a couple of middies add their location and vote in the poll. Then a couple of the old salts actually admit that they aren't homeless and put down their home location. So far, about 6% of the total number of registered users have voted, but it is a very high percentage of the regular posters.

I realize that there are those who don't want to give even their home country, but knowing where someone is from helps at least me avoid making assumptions about the poster I am responding to. This is especially true for the politics and free range forums, but knowing someone is from a different country (or continent) shapes how I respond on all the forums. It actually changes the language I use when responding and causes me to think more about what I am saying. So please, if you can see your way clear to doing so, country of origin at least, helps keep my language appropriate.

While I am interested in the age of the readers here, I am also interested in where everyone is from. So please, think about telling us where you are from. It sometime helps me avoid making an a** out of myself.
_

Re: How old are Honerverse fans?
Post by KNick   » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:35 pm

KNick
Admiral

KNick wrote:
KNick wrote:It would be nice if those who were willing would go to

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Profile

and add their location to their sign in.

It would be nice also if the newcomers voted for either/or both of the series that they read.

Every time I bring this thread forward, a couple of middies add their location and vote in the poll. Then a couple of the old salts actually admit that they aren't homeless and put down their home location. So far, about 6% of the total number of registered users have voted, but it is a very high percentage of the regular posters.

I realize that there are those who don't want to give even their home country, but knowing where someone is from helps at least me avoid making assumptions about the poster I am responding to. This is especially true for the politics and free range forums, but knowing someone is from a different country (or continent) shapes how I respond on all the forums. It actually changes the language I use when responding and causes me to think more about what I am saying. So please, if you can see your way clear to doing so, country of origin at least, helps keep my language appropriate.

While I am interested in the age of the readers here, I am also interested in where everyone is from. So please, think about telling us where you are from. It sometime helps me avoid making an a** out of myself.

Just bringing this forward for new members.
_

Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

OK - I've voted my age, and edited my profile to show location; hope that helps you all!

And while I may be mid 50s, my youngest son is also a keen fan - and he's just passed his 21st birthday; but I don't get two age votes and I don't think he is a member on here
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:25 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Since I turned 50 a couple weeks ago, I went ahead and switched my vote to the next category.

Return to Honorverse