Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I was a bit surprised by how much the story drew attention to the empathic talent in both characters. I was further surprised at the fact that Allison appeared to have some smidgeon of ability in this area as well. In some ways it came off as a bit forced like it was being shoe-horned in there as retroactive justification for Honor's own empathic abilities. Now, we don't see much of Alfred in the main series but we do get a good dose of Allison. Her character to me was already established and there wasn't any mention of empathic capabilities.

I don't mind there being a genetic basis for Honor's empathy (especially since there are hints in the YA books that the Harringtons may possess this ability or manifest it in the future) I just wish it had been done a little more gradually.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:I was a bit surprised by how much the story drew attention to the empathic talent in both characters. I was further surprised at the fact that Allison appeared to have some smidgeon of ability in this area as well. In some ways it came off as a bit forced like it was being shoe-horned in there as retroactive justification for Honor's own empathic abilities. Now, we don't see much of Alfred in the main series but we do get a good dose of Allison. Her character to me was already established and there wasn't any mention of empathic capabilities.

I don't mind there being a genetic basis for Honor's empathy (especially since there are hints in the YA books that the Harringtons may possess this ability or manifest it in the future) I just wish it had been done a little more gradually.

Was there abnormal empathy in Alison prior to her encounter with Alfred on that day when he nearly bowled her over and reached out and grabbed her shoulder to prevent her from falling? The way I read the story, the bonding happened at that point and probably had to do with abilities or characteristics in Alfred, not Alison.

I would like to see both characters developed further. Alison because she is a delight; Alfred because we have seen so little of him.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dca   » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Dca
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think there's any textev prior to B&B, the story illustrates the opportunity to flesh them out more. Allison's family history, or Alfred's SOF duty. Hmmm...

Return to Honorverse