Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

namelessfly

I suspect that the Alfred-Allison pair bond was further enhanced by the after action shower scene.

As for the height differential, wait until Abby Hearnes pair bonds with Mateo.

runsforcelery wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

On the one hand, the 'trauma bonding' is an Honorverse trope that can only show up so many times, I think.

On the other hand, there was a lot of trauma going around after Oyster Bay.

And while I admit that if we're going to see another treecat bonding I really want it to be Tom Theisman or Eloise Pritchart, I would love to see what happens if Sorrow Singer and Alfred Harrington turn up in the same room... perhaps, perhaps, perhaps?

Actually, "trauma bonding's" rather the exception than the rule. Samantha didn't bond with Harold Shu (or Hamish Alexander) traumatically. Survivor didn't bond traumatically with Karl Zivonik; Ariel didn't bond traumatically with Elizabeth; Murdock didn't bond traumatically with King Roger (although he did later with Justin Zyr); and, in fact, none of the monarch-treecat bonds has been traumatic (even the one between Princess Airenne and Seeker of Dreams had already bonded before the assassination attempt). Neither Farragut's bond with Miranda LaFollet nor Hipper's bond with Rachel were traumatic, etc., etc. For that matter, I'd argue that Honor's bond with Nimitz wasn't really "traumatic," in that it occurred only in the aftermath of the trauma. And the very first bonding of all --- Stephanie and Climbs Quickly --- had actually taken place long before the fight with the hexapuma. The bond was what brought CQ to fight the hexapuma. not the other way around.

Now, it's entirely fair to say that extreme emotion certainly helps to create bonds between humans and 'cats. And the 'cats are often drawn to humans who are dealing with grief or trauma because of the way in which those situations enhance the mind-glow. But the vast majority of bondings are definitely not "trauma based."

As for Alfred and Allison, the people who have observed that they had already bonded before she was kidnapped are perfectly correct. Without that, Alfred couldn't have tracked her. Now, did the trauma of her torture, his rescue of her, and their fight to survive strengthen their bond? Oh, my, yes! And while I hate to discourage rampant speculation, the strength of their bond is the real reason neither of them was ever adopted by a treecat. They've each already filled the "bonding slot" (for want of a better term) in the other's mind-glow. In every way that counts, the two of them are a bonded pair of treecats who just got shortchanged on the number of legs they were issued.

And, finally, for people who have observed that Alfred is 19" taller than Allison --- a point which has been, ah . . . alluded to in the books more than once --- I would simply point out that I am roughly 15.5" taller than Sharon, and Peter Mayhew (who's a foot taller than I am) is married to a really wonderful lady named Angie Luker who's about the same height Sharon is.

Just sayin' . . . .
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:17 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I suspect that the Alfred-Allison pair bond was further enhanced by the after action shower scene.

*spit take* You and the shower scenes, Fly! ;)

As for Miss Owens, I have my own theories on her future romantic partner... but I suppose time will tell! :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm

namelessfly

roseandheather wrote:
namelessfly wrote:I suspect that the Alfred-Allison pair bond was further enhanced by the after action shower scene.

*spit take* You and the shower scenes, Fly! ;)

As for Miss Owens, I have my own theories on her future romantic partner... but I suppose time will tell! :D

Given the size differential combined with the physiological adaptations necessary for San Martinos to mate in a high gravity environment, the sheer mechanics of it are mind boggling!
Post by drothgery   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm

drothgery
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
roseandheather wrote:As for Miss Owens, I have my own theories on her future romantic partner... but I suppose time will tell! :D

Given the size differential combined with the physiological adaptations necessary for San Martinos to mate in a high gravity environment, the sheer mechanics of it are mind boggling!
My loony theory for 'shipping her is still Carson Clinksakes (sp?) (who has never met her on-screen, but given their social strata on Grayson, they almost certainly have off-screen). Admittedly still quite a bit taller than her, but at least he's a Grayson ...
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:33 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
roseandheather wrote:*spit take* You and the shower scenes, Fly! ;)

And you're just happy as a clam to let your mind boggle them on a regular basis, aren't you? ;)

But no, my suspected romantic partner for Ms. Hearns is somebody else... someone perhaps a bit more spindly. :D
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm

namelessfly

I think you are Abby confused with Helen Zilwicky

As for Miss Owens, I have my own theories on her future romantic partner... but I suppose time will tell! :D[/quote]

Given the size differential combined with the physiological adaptations necessary for San Martinos to mate in a high gravity environment, the sheer mechanics of it are mind boggling![/quote]

And you're just happy as a clam to let your mind boggle them on a regular basis, aren't you? ;)

But no, my suspected romantic partner for Ms. Hearns is somebody else... someone perhaps a bit more spindly. :D[/quote]
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:14 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

namelessfly wrote:I think you are Abby confused with Helen Zilwicky

roseandheather wrote:As for Miss Owens, I have my own theories on her future romantic partner... but I suppose time will tell! :D

namelessfly wrote:Given the size differential combined with the physiological adaptations necessary for San Martinos to mate in a high gravity environment, the sheer mechanics of it are mind boggling!

But no, my suspected romantic partner for Ms. Hearns is somebody else... someone perhaps a bit more spindly. :D

Haaaaaaa, trust me, I don't. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by ncwolf   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:22 am

ncwolf
Commander

(snip)
And, finally, for people who have observed that Alfred is 19" taller than Allison --- a point which has been, ah . . . alluded to in the books more than once --- I would simply point out that I am roughly 15.5" taller than Sharon, and Peter Mayhew (who's a foot taller than I am) is married to a really wonderful lady named Angie Luker who's about the same height Sharon is.

Just sayin' . . . .

Which makes me think of Chuck Nevitt and his wife; he's 7 ft, 5 inches (2.26 m). I recall her roommate at NC State saying that Mrs. Nevitt was 5 ft 10 inches (1.78 m). I asked if the Nevitts made an odd couple at their wedding, and the roommate didn't think so. The roommate's boyfriend and I lived on the same hall in an adjacent doom prior to Mr. Nevitt's becoming one of the tallest men to play in the NBA.
Post by saber964   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:13 pm

saber964
Admiral

ncwolf wrote:
(snip)

Just sayin' . . . .

Which makes me think of Chuck Nevitt and his wife; he's 7 ft, 5 inches (2.26 m). I recall her roommate at NC State saying that Mrs. Nevitt was 5 ft 10 inches (1.78 m). I asked if the Nevitts made an odd couple at their wedding, and the roommate didn't think so. The roommate's boyfriend and I lived on the same hall in an adjacent doom prior to Mr. Nevitt's becoming one of the tallest men to play in the NBA.

Try my brother and his wife. He stands 6'7" she stands 5'2"
Post by smr   » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

If you think that Honor's Dad and Allison look funny due to a height difference, try Shawn Bradley and his wife. He's 7'6" and she is just above 5 feet!

Return to Honorverse