Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joat42 and 39 guests

Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

In Beginnings EARC

I think Honor's Dad has a bit of hradani in him (with a touch of tree-cat). :lol:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Re: Spoiler Warning for BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Post by Henry Brown   » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

DrakBibliophile wrote:In Beginnings EARC

I think Honor's Dad has a bit of hradani in him (with a touch of tree-cat). :lol:

Agreed. According to the text there is a half meter height difference between him and Allison. A half meter converts to 19.6 inches. They must truly be an odd looking couple standing side by side!
Post by fester   » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:40 am

fester
Captain of the List

Henry Brown wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:In Beginnings EARC

Agreed. According to the text there is a half meter height difference between him and Allison. A half meter converts to 19.6 inches. They must truly be an odd looking couple standing side by side!

I actually was getting an Alicia McVey vibe rather than a hradani vibe from Lt. Harrington.

And BTW -- there is quite a bit of trauma bonding in the series... just an observation neither good nor bad.
Post by mantis   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 pm

mantis
Midshipman

fester wrote:I actually was getting an Alicia McVey vibe rather than a hradani vibe from Lt. Harrington.

And BTW -- there is quite a bit of trauma bonding in the series... just an observation neither good nor bad.

In "Beauty and the Beast," though, the bonding preceded the trauma -- Alfred apparently has some of the same empathic potential that Honor does. In her case, it was strengthened by her bond with Nimitz, and especially by the stress placed on that bond during the assassination attempt on Grayson in The Honor of the Queen; Nimitz using the full strength of his mind-voice to scream a warning at her woke up her latent empathic ability to perceive other humans' mind-glows. Alfred had a touch of that ability already, though nowhere near as strong as Honor's post-THotQ, and Allison's mind-glow clicked with his in a fashion analogous to a human-treecat bond. I do wonder if the adrenaline rush from nearly bowling her over and catching her to keep her from falling had something to do with the initial connection, though.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

No longer a spoiler thread, but I will speculate based on the story:

Given Alfred Harrington's rage factor + the destruction of his family and near-death of his wife and grandchild, do you think once his sorrow and grief are assuaged he might be just a bit....upset with the people who did it?

And what might a very unhappy Doctor Harrington do? :o :shock: :twisted:

Me, I love to imagine a scene where one of the MAlign heavies (Asimovia (sic) will do) is captured and her questioners are Alfred Harrington and Sorrow Singer....never will happen, of course, but I do love imaginining it....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:14 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:No longer a spoiler thread, but I will speculate based on the story:

Given Alfred Harrington's rage factor + the destruction of his family and near-death of his wife and grandchild, do you think once his sorrow and grief are assuaged he might be just a bit....upset with the people who did it?

Me, I love to imagine a scene where one of the MAlign heavies (Asimovia (sic) will do) is captured and her questioners are Alfred Harrington and Sorrow Singer....never will happen, of course, but I do love imaginining it....

Thanks to you, I will be having sweet, sweet dreams tonight. Oh my goodness, yes I will. :lol: :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Let's see now.....Sorrow Singer not bonded and in deep grief. Alfred Harrington not bonded and in deep grief. Nimitz mentioned that Alfred's mind glow was attractive when Alfred was younger. Sorrow Singer is no longer needed as her Clan's Memory Singer.

If they meet, they will likely bond.

roseandheather wrote:
Hutch wrote:No longer a spoiler thread, but I will speculate based on the story:

Thanks to you, I will be having sweet, sweet dreams tonight. Oh my goodness, yes I will. :lol: :D
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Let's see now.....Sorrow Singer not bonded and in deep grief. Alfred Harrington not bonded and in deep grief. Nimitz mentioned that Alfred's mind glow was attractive when Alfred was younger. Sorrow Singer is no longer needed as her Clan's Memory Singer.

If they meet, they will likely bond.

On the one hand, the 'trauma bonding' is an Honorverse trope that can only show up so many times, I think.

On the other hand, there was a lot of trauma going around after Oyster Bay.

And while I admit that if we're going to see another treecat bonding I really want it to be Tom Theisman or Eloise Pritchart, I would love to see what happens if Sorrow Singer and Alfred Harrington turn up in the same room... perhaps, perhaps, perhaps?
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by pokermind   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:35 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Sorrow Singer of the Black Water Clan a daughter clan of the Bright Water Clan, thus she should be comfortable with the Bright Water Clan. However her only living relative, her brother, is a member of Moon Light Dancing Clan. So it's possible that she may bond with Alfred Harrington. Misery loves company they say.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

pokermind wrote:Sorrow Singer of the Black Water Clan a daughter clan of the Bright Water Clan, thus she should be comfortable with the Bright Water Clan. However her only living relative, her brother, is a member of Moon Light Dancing Clan. So it's possible that she may bond with Alfred Harrington. Misery loves company they say.

Poker

Uhhh...it's the Black Rock Clan. Black Water Clan would be, what, one that lives in a sewer? No. Just.....no.
-----------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

Return to Honorverse