Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S, Theemile and 26 guests

Spoiler Solarian idiots Spoiler

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoiler Solarian idiots Spoiler
Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

KNick wrote:
waddles for desert wrote:Info on occupied Masada is limited.

I would like a novel by Linkskold on the subject; maybe several.

To me, that would more likely be a John Ringo story.

Please, no Ringo on Masada. Please. :P

Jane wrote a couple very good short stories dealing with Masadan women etc, thus I join the wish for more of her writing on Masada. But she's got her own projects plus the Stephanie Harrington books so... not holding my breath.

The Masadans have to be strictly controlled for the foreseeable future. The fanatics would happily send a ballistic nuke or fifty into Grayson - or Manticore now - if given even half a chance to do so, and ballistic items are darn hard to see in the Honorverse, let alone stop.
Post by waddles for desert   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

I say Linkskold for continuity and because I like what she has done with Masada so far.

I like Ringo. I think that Ringo could do Silesia and the Andies.
Post by biochem   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Europeans were masters at destroying native cultures most places they planted their flag. The updated versions - sex, drugs and rock and roll - can work with the drugs limited to beer. Give every preteen and teenager a TV and run all SKM programming. Better yet, maybe, all Erewhonese programing. Best yet, all Beowulf programing.

Soviet and Chinese style - the occupation authority appoints and supervises all clergy.

American liberal style - mandatory gender sensitivity training.

They could always step further back in history and try the Assyrian method. Basically it was to scatter conquered people around the empire in non-critical locations (not the core areas). It worked very well as it divided up the opposition and kept them below critical strength. In Masada's case it would work well with follower types of personalities, about 60-70% of the population based on the Milgram shock experiments. Take the followers out of Masada's environment, place them in a different environment and they will change to the new values. But if they are left on Masada instead under the influence of the fanatics, they will made great cannon fodder for the terrorists to use in anti-Manticore attacks. Note that none of Bin Laden's sons were on the 911 aircraft.
Post by packhunter   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm

packhunter
Lieutenant Commander

Or Grayson could let any Masadan woman who wants emigrate to them. For that mater so could the Manties. It'd be kinda funny when within a generation there are no women left on Masada, and the male fanatics are forced to turn to artificial forms of procreation. Could totally happen :D

biochem wrote:
Europeans were masters at destroying native cultures most places they planted their flag. The updated versions - sex, drugs and rock and roll - can work with the drugs limited to beer. Give every preteen and teenager a TV and run all SKM programming. Better yet, maybe, all Erewhonese programing. Best yet, all Beowulf programing.

Soviet and Chinese style - the occupation authority appoints and supervises all clergy.

American liberal style - mandatory gender sensitivity training.

They could always step further back in history and try the Assyrian method. Basically it was to scatter conquered people around the empire in non-critical locations (not the core areas). It worked very well as it divided up the opposition and kept them below critical strength. In Masada's case it would work well with follower types of personalities, about 60-70% of the population based on the Milgram shock experiments. Take the followers out of Masada's environment, place them in a different environment and they will change to the new values. But if they are left on Masada instead under the influence of the fanatics, they will made great cannon fodder for the terrorists to use in anti-Manticore attacks. Note that none of Bin Laden's sons were on the 911 aircraft.
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

packhunter wrote:Or Grayson could let any Masadan woman who wants emigrate to them. For that mater so could the Manties. It'd be kinda funny when within a generation there are no women left on Masada, and the male fanatics are forced to turn to artificial forms of procreation. Could totally happen :D

I adore this idea. It is both delicious and completely appropriate. :-)
Post by waddles for desert   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

There is already a colony on Manticore.

And, Grayson would look like a big step up for a woman from Masada.
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:There is already a colony on Manticore.

And, Grayson would look like a big step up for a woman from Masada.

Yes. A big step up, but not such a scary one as moving to Manticore may be to many of them. Grayson is sort of a halfway house between the insanity on Masada and the entirely different world of Manticore.

And, who knows? Masadan women migrating to Grayson may be going on and just has not been mentioned due to not figuring in any of the stories told so far. :-)
Post by TheMonster   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Northstar wrote:And, who knows? Masadan women migrating to Grayson may be going on and just has not been mentioned due to not figuring in any of the stories told so far. :-)
You mean like how not a word was mentioned in HotQ about Prince Michael's Excellent Endicott Adventure, nor the subsequent events that gave Queen Elizabeth's only brother Masadan refugees as wife and adopted daughter?

Something tells me it was cooked up after HotQ was written, to make CoS possible.
Post by SWM   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
Northstar wrote:And, who knows? Masadan women migrating to Grayson may be going on and just has not been mentioned due to not figuring in any of the stories told so far. :-)
You mean like how not a word was mentioned in HotQ about Prince Michael's Excellent Endicott Adventure, nor the subsequent events that gave Queen Elizabeth's only brother Masadan refugees as wife and adopted daughter?

Something tells me it was cooked up after HotQ was written, to make CoS possible.

That storyline was almost certainly invented after HoTQ, but I doubt it was done just to make CoS possible. Rather, I would guess that CoS took advantage of characters that David knew he would not be directly dealing with again himself. In any case, it does not change the fact that thousands of things are going on in the background that we simply don't hear about because they don't impinge directly on the stories being presented. So we cannot assume that something has not happened just because we haven't heard about it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

We are only getting background our current build out (such as the failed revolution on one of the OFS supported planets) to support the story line.
If there were some sort of presence on Masada of Grayson’s offering an alternative for any of the Masada population with a move to Grayson, it would likely be an on-going flashpoint with at least the more fanatical Masadans. Ok, lets say the more orthodox fanatical Masadans...big smile.
You could foresee all sorts of challenges for both Manticore and "missionaries" from Grayson who set up shelters for battered women or variations on that theme within the general Masadan population. Not that it would get far against the Manticore Peacekeeping Force. Would there be people- probably mostly women with their children- looking for protection and emigration to Grayson? Sure. In any population of multiple millions there will always be someone. It’s just that there has been no need to bring up anything about that so far. I recall someone in the Forums asking about the possibility that Dr. Harrington’s fix for the genetic problem causing the death of so many male embryos (that was self-inflicted on the Grayson population in trying to address the heavy metal and other environmental problems for the early colony) being passed along to Masada. This becomes somewhat of a problem for Manticore and Grayson because they are going to run into the challenge of at least the Church leadership on Masada objecting on all sorts of civil rights and religious issues. I admit there aren’t a lot of “civil rights” as we know them on Masada as far as the local leadership and Masadan branch of the Church is concerned. In any event, forcing the Masada population to undergo that fix would be as bad as what the Alignment is doing in so many of its projects. The fix could be offered to any Masadan who wanted it but that would be about as far as I would expect either Manticore or Grayson to go.
Interesting questions but not (yet) germane to the greater plot line.

Return to Honorverse