Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 120 guests

The Honor of the Queen - 2nd Edition

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
The Honor of the Queen - 2nd Edition
Post by Vince   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:08 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

I was looking around the BaenEbooks site and came across the Second Editions section. I hadn't noticed it before so I examined it. I noticed The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition so I checked out the ebook's page.

The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition by David Weber

The page lists the publish date as February 5 2013 and says Now with new content! (New content as opposed to just a new author's afterword.) The cover has a band running across the bottom that states 2nd Edition - Includes All New Content.

Has anyone read this edition and is it worth purchasing it (instead of the first edition on the CD's and in the Baen Free Library? (The 2nd edition is priced at $6.99 US dollars.) Amazon estimates the page count as 401 pages as opposed to the estimated 393 pages of the first edition (Kindle editions). Amazon does not list the 2nd edition book as being available in any dead-tree format.

The second edition is not listed on Baen's publishing schedule (Current Releases). Nor is it listed on davidweber.net under Upcoming Releases or Bibliography.

I searched the Honorverse forums for the 2nd edition and found no posts mentioning it. Does anybody have any information on it?
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Re: The Honor of the Queen - 2nd Edition
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:20 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

In a deal with Amazon the Baen's free library was gutted. Now the same e-book cannot be sold and be in the free library, hence the extra content books adding just a little or, a new author's comments, maps, glossary of terms. This deal was also the spark for the price increase and, the limited time bundles. These are being made fast and dirty to rebuild the free library as to being worth buying, I don't plan on trying one, and so cannot say. I read the prolog of 1632 was changed in the added content edition over on Baen's Bar to better conform with the spinoff time spike novels. So with these you pays your money and, you takes your chance as to rather the extra content is worth $7 :twisted:

Poker

Vince wrote:I was looking around the BaenEbooks site and came across the Second Editions section. I hadn't noticed it before so I examined it. I noticed The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition so I checked out the ebook's page.

The page lists the publish date as February 5 2013 and says Now with new content! (New content as opposed to just a new author's afterword.) The cover has a band running across the bottom that states 2nd Edition - Includes All New Content.

Has anyone read this edition and is it worth purchasing it (instead of the first edition on the CD's and in the Baen Free Library? (The 2nd edition is priced at $6.99 US dollars.) Amazon estimates the page count as 401 pages as opposed to the estimated 393 pages of the first edition (Kindle editions). Amazon does not list the 2nd edition book as being available in any dead-tree format.

The second edition is not listed on Baen's publishing schedule (Current Releases). Nor is it listed on davidweber.net under Upcoming Releases or Bibliography.

I searched the Honorverse forums for the 2nd edition and found no posts mentioning it. Does anybody have any information on it?
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Vince   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

I understand the deal with Amazon, however IIRC the first edition (electronic formats only) of The Honor of the Queen has been available for free almost from the beginning of the Baen Free Library when Jim Baen and Eric Flint came up with the idea. And it is still available for free in the Baen Free Library and is available on Amazon for free as well. The second edition of THotQ, available in electronic format(s) only is $6.99 (US dollars) on both BaenEbooks and Amazon. So it would seem that the deal with Amazon wouldn't be the issue.

Anybody have any information on The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition? Duckk?

pokermind wrote:In a deal with Amazon the Baen's free library was gutted. Now the same e-book cannot be sold and be in the free library, hence the extra content books adding just a little or, a new author's comments, maps, glossary of terms. This deal was also the spark for the price increase and, the limited time bundles. These are being made fast and dirty to rebuild the free library as to being worth buying, I don't plan on trying one, and so cannot say. I read the prolog of 1632 was changed in the added content edition over on Baen's Bar to better conform with the spinoff time spike novels. So with these you pays your money and, you takes your chance as to rather the extra content is worth $7 :twisted:

Poker

Vince wrote:I was looking around the BaenEbooks site and came across the Second Editions section. I hadn't noticed it before so I examined it. I noticed The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition so I checked out the ebook's page.

Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Fro what it is worth, this is not listed on amazon itself. Just looked.
Post by Vince   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Northstar wrote:

Fro what it is worth, this is not listed on amazon itself. Just looked.

Try this link in Kindle format only (not available in any dead-tree format):

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-Second-Edit ... in_title_1

You can get to it by bringing up the Kindle format of the first edition of The Honor of the Queen,

http://www.amazon.com/The-Honor-Queen-H ... in_title_0

then clicking plus sign next to Kindle Edition in the Formats box. The link that says Kindle Edition, February 4, 2013 with a price of $6.99 will lead to the webpage for the second edition.

Alternately type into the search box with All Departments:

The Honor of the Queen, Second Edition (Honor Harrington) by David Weber

It will lead to this page that shows both Kindle editions (1st and 2nd) with the 1st priced at $0.00 and the 2nd priced at $6.99, with the other formats shown off to the side. Note that examining all of the other formats only shows the first edition.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... avid+Weber
Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Thank you, Vince. Your first link did it. I sprang for it. Now to read the two versions and see what is different. :-)
Post by SWM   » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:32 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:I understand the deal with Amazon, however IIRC the first edition (electronic formats only) of The Honor of the Queen has been available for free almost from the beginning of the Baen Free Library when Jim Baen and Eric Flint came up with the idea. And it is still available for free in the Baen Free Library and is available on Amazon for free as well. The second edition of THotQ, available in electronic format(s) only is $6.99 (US dollars) on both BaenEbooks and Amazon. So it would seem that the deal with Amazon wouldn't be the issue.

I would say that the deal with Amazon is the issue. Baen wants to sell books on Amazon, and also wants to keep as many of the books formerly on the Baen Free Library there as possible. And the deal with Amazon means that Baen could not keep in the Free Library the same edition that it was trying to sell on Amazon. Therefore, Baen made a new edition which it could sell, and still keep the old edition in the Free Library.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:I would say that the deal with Amazon is the issue. Baen wants to sell books on Amazon, and also wants to keep as many of the books formerly on the Baen Free Library there as possible. And the deal with Amazon means that Baen could not keep in the Free Library the same edition that it was trying to sell on Amazon. Therefore, Baen made a new edition which it could sell, and still keep the old edition in the Free Library.
That makes sense. I wonder if the 2nd edition e-books are based off the 1st edition ones with some specific additions, or if they're actually based off the current paperback edition.

I seem to recall the later paperback printings of On Basilisk Station got an expanded description of the junction and it's resonance zone (when Fearless is heading out to Basilisk). (And probably some other things, that's just the one that stuck out to me)

Having an ebook copy with all those updates that snuck into the later hardcopy versions would be nice.
Post by Vince   » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
SWM wrote:I would say that the deal with Amazon is the issue. Baen wants to sell books on Amazon, and also wants to keep as many of the books formerly on the Baen Free Library there as possible. And the deal with Amazon means that Baen could not keep in the Free Library the same edition that it was trying to sell on Amazon. Therefore, Baen made a new edition which it could sell, and still keep the old edition in the Free Library.
That makes sense. I wonder if the 2nd edition e-books are based off the 1st edition ones with some specific additions, or if they're actually based off the current paperback edition.

I seem to recall the later paperback printings of On Basilisk Station got an expanded description of the junction and it's resonance zone (when Fearless is heading out to Basilisk). (And probably some other things, that's just the one that stuck out to me)

Having an ebook copy with all those updates that snuck into the later hardcopy versions would be nice.

I don't know about the later paperback printings being updated, but I can tell you for sure that the electronic formats have been updated with additional bits of information. I actually came across a few points in OBS in the electronic editions that weren't in the paperback copy that I had. See my post for details:

Re: possible new destroyer design
Post by Vince » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2677&p=55588&hilit=resonance+zone+junction#p55588
Post by SWM   » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:I don't know about the later paperback printings being updated, but I can tell you for sure that the electronic formats have been updated with additional bits of information. I actually came across a few points in OBS in the electronic editions that weren't in the paperback copy that I had. See my post for details:

Re: possible new destroyer design
Post by Vince » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2677&p=55588&hilit=resonance+zone+junction#p55588

That is only true of the very early Honor books, because there were no such things as Baen e-books when the print versions came out. When Baen started doing e-books, they retroactively converted the earlier books to e-book format, based on the editions that existed at that point. So the e-book of OBS, HOTQ, and possibly a couple others were later versions than the original print editions.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine

Return to Honorverse