Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Seawolf509 wrote:So you get rid of the OBS conclusion

So it's like Star Wars without the Death Star?
Post by Mythmaker   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Mythmaker
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

rdt wrote:Remember that after the Prologue there is a relatively long war games sequence which sets the motivation for being sent to Basilisk and for many crew members' discontent. And that setup just won't play well on-screen. Weber is usually pretty careful about making sure we understand why what is happening is happening. I do not know what the script (is there a shooting script?) says, but, as was already pointed out, there is only about 90 to 120 minutes to get the story told. My guess is that On Basilisk Station, the novel, will, at best, be the "based on" label for the movie. Do not expect it to be the movie. Alas...

That sequence could actually be made to work, perhaps, if it started in one of those sequences. It'd set up the crew discontentment immediately after, as well as establish the mechanics of combat in-universe.
Post by Hallofaman   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Hallofaman
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Ok I think I got this! The way I would set it up is before the opening credits I would have a short version of the Havenite stratgy meeting. Then cut to the war games and Honor's sneak attack w/opening credits.... don't do a thing with Young until she is on station and hears his name then we do a quick 3sec day dream like flash back, and another as she is on her way over to his ship and another when she see's his face for the face to face....

thus we get an action packed opener, we get the personal villent memories, and all the reasons why the war is about to begin....
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

When the Lord of the Rings finally got made- in three long movies which did justice to the books- I was greatly impressed. At the end of last year my wife and I watched all three extended versions of the in the final collection package and then watched all the bonus disks from that set. That took a long time.
Now they are making the Hobbit and it initially looked like it was going to be interesting but there was just so much in that little book that I thought they would take a chainsaw to it. I have seen the Part 1 and we have two more to go. Sometimes Hollywood- or the Directors- get it right.
Post by Northstar   » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:When the Lord of the Rings finally got made- in three long movies which did justice to the books- I was greatly impressed. At the end of last year my wife and I watched all three extended versions of the in the final collection package and then watched all the bonus disks from that set. That took a long time.
Now they are making the Hobbit and it initially looked like it was going to be interesting but there was just so much in that little book that I thought they would take a chainsaw to it. I have seen the Part 1 and we have two more to go. Sometimes Hollywood- or the Directors- get it right.

Indeed, but they had to do some severe cutting to fit in the space they had. Things not told, as Philippa Boyens puts it. The whole Tom Bombadil thing. Elrond's sons. On and on. Making Frodo 18-ish rather than 50-ish... and I agree with that one completely. He acts a lot more 18 than 50. :-). In the books, IIRC, 17 years pass between Gandalf leaving the ring with Frodo and Gandalf's return... kinda takes the whole urgency thing out eh? Sure, which is why the movie script collapsed it into a year from beginning of the story to the end of the story.

Getting the Medusans right is going to be crucial. Ditto Nimitz. They have to look like they really could exist, have to make some sort of anatomical sense. Going to be a challenge for the computer animation folks. Mess them up and the whole story becomes a sniggering farce, and we sure do not want that.

For example the horse things in Avatar were... awful. Terran horses with two more legs sort of just stuck on, no changes to the spine etc to rationalize their anatomy. I am praying that sort of thing does not happen on this film.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Any reasonable person has to accept that there will be adaptations to the written story to adapt it to the screen. One aspect that should appeal to both the fan and the novice is spectacular special effects. Not being artistically creative myself I'd love to see wedges, Warshawski sails, laser head detonations, SD fusion failures, gene modified humans, tree cats, and such being faithfully rendered in colorful 3D.
Imagine the audience in suspense wondering if Honor will get through in time, when the whole theatre suddenly appears to be full of a Warshawski Sail exiting a terminus, followed by Hexapuma launching missiles?
Post by Seawolf509   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 am

Seawolf509
Captain of the List

Brigade XO wrote:When the Lord of the Rings finally got made- in three long movies which did justice to the books- I was greatly impressed. At the end of last year my wife and I watched all three extended versions of the in the final collection package and then watched all the bonus disks from that set. That took a long time.

Yes when they have enough MONEY!! I used to do the accounting for Paramount studios, most people have no idea how big a risk it was to film all three movies before the first one was released. And we talking what I think it was 300 million dollars invested.

So yes they can do it right but it seems there is a corrolation between, the right subject, Tolkin was detailed to a fault, the right production company, money, and time to shoot.
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The most common criticism I've seen of the hobbit movie is that they have stuffed it full of time wasting scenes so they can inflate a 310 page book into the same movie format used for a 1200+ page series.
Post by Timeonit   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Timeonit
Ensign

Hey everybody,

I know it's still a long way till 2016...but it can't come soon enough.
I actually also hope that they don't put the most expensive actors into the movie. I think it's more important to focus on the design of the spaceships and their interior instead of having several famous faces for the movie (even though it probably wouldn't do the movie any harm either).

I thought about how I would introduce the Universe and their people and I would also start of with the meeting of the havenites in the prologue of the book. They would be sitting around some kind of table and talk about the current state of things in the universe and the basic relationships between the several factions...while coming to the conclussion, that they have to invade Basilisk Station. All that would be accompanied by a virtual map of the universe situated in the middle of the table.

During this scene all the basic movie informations that are normally shown at the beginning of a movie will be also displayed.
Then after the Havenites make the final decission to invade Basilisk Station, I would make a cut and show the movie title.
The next scene would start out of the perspective of Honor, before she boards the Fearless for the first time.
She would walk through a space station on the way to her docking bay, around her would be other navy personel (saluting and such), there would be news couverage on panels on the wall (like mentioned by another user here) and I would probably make her look out of a window (do they have those on space stations?) onto her new ship.
Then let her enter the new ship and when McKeon speaks her name I would show her face for the first time.

How do you guys like it?
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Timeonit wrote:Hey everybody,

I know it's still a long way till 2016...but it can't come soon enough.
I actually also hope that they don't put the most expensive actors into the movie. I think it's more important to focus on the design of the spaceships and their interior instead of having several famous faces for the movie (even though it probably wouldn't do the movie any harm either).

I thought about how I would introduce the Universe and their people and I would also start of with the meeting of the Havenites in the prologue of the book. They would be sitting around some kind of table and talk about the current state of things in the universe and the basic relationships between the several factions...while coming to the conclusion, that they have to invade Basilisk Station. All that would be accompanied by a virtual map of the universe situated in the middle of the table.

During this scene all the basic movie information that are normally shown at the beginning of a movie will be also displayed.
Then after the Havenites make the final decision to invade Basilisk Station, I would make a cut and show the movie title.
The next scene would start out of the perspective of Honor, before she boards the Fearless for the first time.
She would walk through a space station on the way to her docking bay, around her would be other navy personnel (saluting and such), there would be news coverage on panels on the wall (like mentioned by another user here) and I would probably make her look out of a window (do they have those on space stations?) onto her new ship.
Then let her enter the new ship and when McKeon speaks her name I would show her face for the first time.

How do you guys like it?

Welcome to the forums, Timeonit. :-)

Actually, I do like it, except I would do a bit of set up first, to make the audience care about the Havenite meeting and understand the jeopardy it represents.

Cue E.S. Posthumus Unearthed cd 1st cut, Antissa. (this cd is my personal Honorverse music track) Hubble type awesomeness of the Manticore binary system, sweeping in, seeing The Junction with all its traffic, seeing Gryphon orbiting Manticore B then swing to sight on Manticore A and in past its outer planets, moving in toward Manticore A, past Sphinx, coming onto Manticore, coming in past Hephaestus station and down into Landing as the music changes tempo. Sweep Landing, sweep to Saganami and back to Honor getting aboard a shuttle to the Station.

Then into the meeting and onward. Thus the audience now have a mental picture of what is being threatened by the Havenites' plotting.

Return to Honorverse