Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!
Post by Jeffrywith1e   » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am

Jeffrywith1e
Midshipman

Looks like the Evergreen Films description from HonorCon says summer of 2016.

http://www.honorcon.org/contact-us/10-guests
Post by templehawk   » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 pm

templehawk
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Its appears Weber himself has comfirmed the possibility:

David Weber ‏@davidweber1 Conversation with Evergreen today went well, and the release date for the Honor Harrington Movie is set for 2016, if all goes well.
Post by Solly   » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Solly
Commander

Hopefully it will get good advertisement. They don't have many adult themed books in the movies as of late. By that I mean a film that isn't geared towards the tween crowd.

I wonder how will they give the opening sequence. They can't just jump into the meeting or Honor right away. Maybe a quick history of all the nations, very brief over view since a lot of new comers who never read the books will be expecting aliens. I hope it takes off.

That being said here's how I'd open up the film.

Show the galatic map (which you can find here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_H ... iverse.png

highlight each nation as to what year it was founded, and stick to the terran calander. I think having to use the Manticorian calander at this stage would probably confuse people. Highlight the solarian leauge and have a voice over of what it is and when it was founded. highlight the year and then spread out to the systems as mankind goes from system to system. Next highlight Andermani Empire, along with the Confederacy. Then zoom in on the Haven and Manticore border highlight both at the same time with their systems each. Then someone gives a voice over of when they were founded etc. Then give a overview of the current situtation between the two Star Nations. As far as what the voice over actually says I don't know. Have an amazing classical musical introduction that is awe inspiring.

Then cut to the rest of the film. That's my opening, which was inspired by the long forgotten Wing Commander film.

How would you introduce the universe?
Post by Daryl   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:04 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Sounds good but in 3D to emphasize the space environment, and keep it short to just give an overview. Then show the penultimate scene of Saganami to illustrate the history, ethos and weaponry at that time. From this a heading of 4351AD (or whatever) and a spectacularly explosive start to OBS introducing Honor.
After that initial 20 minutes keep it moving.
Post by KNick   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:21 am

KNick
Admiral

The only thing I would say is "Don't make it a copy of the Star Wars initial lead in".
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by savadrin   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 am

savadrin
Lieutenant Commander

Solly wrote:
I wonder how will they give the opening sequence. They can't just jump into the meeting or Honor right away. Maybe a quick history of all the nations, very brief over view since a lot of new comers who never read the books will be expecting aliens. I hope it takes off.

That being said here's how I'd open up the film.

Show the galatic map (which you can find here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_H ... iverse.png

highlight each nation as to what year it was founded, and stick to the terran calander. I think having to use the Manticorian calander at this stage would probably confuse people. Highlight the solarian leauge and have a voice over of what it is and when it was founded. highlight the year and then spread out to the systems as mankind goes from system to system. Next highlight Andermani Empire, along with the Confederacy. Then zoom in on the Haven and Manticore border highlight both at the same time with their systems each. Then someone gives a voice over of when they were founded etc. Then give a overview of the current situtation between the two Star Nations. As far as what the voice over actually says I don't know. Have an amazing classical musical introduction that is awe inspiring.

Then cut to the rest of the film. That's my opening, which was inspired by the long forgotten Wing Commander film.

How would you introduce the universe?

i'd do it exactly opposite. i absolutely loathe narrated introductions in movies. i'd make the intro part of the movie a tag-along as Honor walks through the space station on the way to take command at the beginning of on basilisk station. abstract shots that don't show her face, but highlight specifics of the uniform while showcasing the space station itself.

i'd have her pass through some open areas bustling with personnel, with holo-screens giving news-bytes in order to drop info on the audience like politics and important names and events. maybe she walks close to some groups of lower ranked navy personnel, close enough to overhear snippets of conversation about assignments, or some new youthful middies excitedly discussing ships and what kind of ship they hope to be assigned to.

narration is unnecessary and off-putting. let the story tell itself, don't give me a history lesson.
Post by yannosh   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:37 am

yannosh
Commander

I have to say that, on the whole, I'd go for middle of the two approaches.
I'd start with brisk narration following earth, than have a rocket liftoff, and follow rocket into space, while it morphs in quick succession into spaceships, and finally settles into basic starship in open space, wedges and all, than we get zoomed out to show color-codded map of the known space, only for it to resolve to be a view-screen on Hephaestus, and a tall uniformed figure briskly passing it by, and the camera follows it from legs up from the back, and then climbs, showing first the fluffy, ringed tail swishing idly down the back, and climbing up to finally show the back of Nimitz riding Honor's shoulder as she steps into office to receive her orders.
fade to Title showcase, and then immediately cut to her boarding Fearless.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.
Post by filbert   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 am

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

For an intro, I don't know how you could beat the attempted rape scene in the Academy shower. You get your titillating nudity, your setting up of the Honor-Pavel hatred, and your introduction to Honor as a kick-ass-and-take-names character.

Follow that with Honor being questioned by the Commandant and refusing to prefer charges against Young, and you set up your inner character conflict, and introduce Honor's friend Mike.

By then, if you'd done it right, you've enticed non-science-fiction fans into the human story.

Then you go build the universe around the human conflict.
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

filbert wrote:For an intro, I don't know how you could beat the attempted rape scene in the Academy shower. You get your titillating nudity, your setting up of the Honor-Pavel hatred, and your introduction to Honor as a kick-ass-and-take-names character.

Follow that with Honor being questioned by the Commandant and refusing to prefer charges against Young, and you set up your inner character conflict, and introduce Honor's friend Mike.

By then, if you'd done it right, you've enticed non-science-fiction fans into the human story.

Then you go build the universe around the human conflict.

Nameless fly would have loved it ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Daryl wrote:After that initial 20 minutes keep it moving.

20 minutes? :shock: Everyone would be asleep after that. Bad, nay dreadfully terrible idea of doom.

It´s a movie, most likely focused on action, not a documentary.
An extremely extended presentation of the "universe background" is a severe mismatch with the type of movie.

Return to Honorverse