Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor Harrington Movie looks like a GO!
Post by Timeonit   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Timeonit
Ensign

I had the problem too, that the audience had no real reason to see the Havenites as the bad guys in the meeting, but I like your idea.
And the transition could be after Honor enters her Shuttle, that the camera zooms out to show the whole system. And then you could combine the "real" view of the system with the electronic version of it, that is shown at the meeting.
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Timeonit wrote:I had the problem too, that the audience had no real reason to see the Havenites as the bad guys in the meeting, but I like your idea.
And the transition could be after Honor enters her Shuttle, that the camera zooms out to show the whole system. And then you could combine the "real" view of the system with the electronic version of it, that is shown at the meeting.

I like that :-)

On listening to the cd cut with this scenario in mind, there is actually time to do all I did and get Honor onto the shuttle, then onto the Station, then to look at Fearless out a view port, swim the boarding tube -cool shot :-) - and read herself in as Captain of the Fearless. Then, as you say, zoom out to the outside of Fearless, out to the system, and to your electronic version in the Havenite meeting. Which gets a lot done in 4 minutes or so. And would both orient and wow an audience with the views of the various things, including the flashing blue on blue of sails in the distance at The Junction. Ooh, what is that? :-)

And then the meeting takes on ominous meaning for the audience, which it needs to make it interesting. Otherwise... meeting... who cares?
Post by Timeonit   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Timeonit
Ensign

Yes.
Also, that way you can (kind of) leave out the combat training in the beginning where Honor gets her ass kicked. (Perhaps let the crew talk about it when they come to Basilisk station, and they say it's all the captains fault, sth like that).
as a result you would gain time to use on other subjects (for example a flashback, when she meets Pavel Young)
Post by Northstar   » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Timeonit wrote:Yes.
Also, that way you can (kind of) leave out the combat training in the beginning where Honor gets her ass kicked. (Perhaps let the crew talk about it when they come to Basilisk station, and they say it's all the captains fault, sth like that).
as a result you would gain time to use on other subjects (for example a flashback, when she meets Pavel Young)

Talk talk rather than show show doesn't work so well. If they're going to keep the crew resentment thing they'll have to find the time to show the why of it, not just talk about it. OTOH they may decide, for time constraints and simplicity reasons, to limit the resentment stuff to Alistair, who has attitude about being passed over, quite apart from the war games stuff.

Frankly, that is what I'd do if I were writing the script. IIRC the main trouble with attitude is his, anyway. The rest is not so crucial to the story development and probably could be skipped, focusing the chip on the shoulder thing just between him and her... which would make his eventual coming around all the more prominent.

The crew also know him and have some loyalty to him, IIRC, but do not know her previously, so there is a space for some 'back him up' attitude or crew hinkiness as they pick up on his resentment of her without going into the war games stuff. It was fun in the book , but is there really time for it in the movie?

Decisions have to be made adapting a book to a movie. Someone else mentioned the old minute per page rule of thumb on movie scripts.. and a script has a lot less writing on it per page than does a book. Ever see a script in a school play or whatever? Lots of white space. Dialog, stage direction etc. Probably less than 80 pages of book wordage in a movie script, even for a 3 hour long movie. That means a lot of snip snip and reworking things for the needs of the different medium. Each scene, each shot, has to earn its film, so to speak. Preferably by filling multiple functions in moving the story along.
Post by rdt   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 pm

rdt
Commodore

Re: the Alistair stuff.
The problem with just showing McK's resentment rather than the resentment of the crew in general, is that the hard work etc. that the crew is forced to do after Young flees helps to mesh them together and helps ameliorate their resentment. Especially as the hard work starts to pay (with $) off with confiscation of contraband items. Further, I thought (did anyone else?) that much of McK's eventual recant was sorta corny. It was better just leaving it at "skipper" and helping Honor put down Hauptmann. They can be friends without the mushy apology. Sometimes rfc moves you to tears and sometimes he is so corny.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

rdt wrote:Re: the Alistair stuff.
The problem with just showing McK's resentment rather than the resentment of the crew in general, is that the hard work etc. that the crew is forced to do after Young flees helps to mesh them together and helps ameliorate their resentment. Especially as the hard work starts to pay (with $) off with confiscation of contraband items. Further, I thought (did anyone else?) that much of McK's eventual recant was sorta corny. It was better just leaving it at "skipper" and helping Honor put down Hauptmann. They can be friends without the mushy apology. Sometimes rfc moves you to tears and sometimes he is so corny.

give him a break, it was near the start of his career... :D

but yeah, i think that the internal hostility might need to be removed in this movie to keep it a practical length and allow it to be produced in time. Books can afford to flesh out lots of characters. movies cant flesh out as many of the secondary characters.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Northstar   » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:
rdt wrote:Re: the Alistair stuff.

but yeah, i think that the internal hostility might need to be removed in this movie to keep it a practical length and allow it to be produced in time. Books can afford to flesh out lots of characters. movies cant flesh out as many of the secondary characters.

I think both of you make excellent points. But we all know how enamored Hollywood is with endless personal conflicts. Here a conflict, there a conflict, everywhere another bleepin' conflict. argh. I personally find it annoying and boring, simultaneously. :-) So let'a hope the real screenwriters for this flick do something fresh and new and drop the extraneous guff....hey, I can dream :D

It's not like there aren't plenty of other, far more important and interesting, conflicts going on in this story; Medusans, Havenites. Klaus Hauptmann, dear Pavel....
Post by yannosh   » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 am

yannosh
Commander

Just as a thought exercise, anyone want to play "One thing I would keep and one thing I would cut out"? Infodumps do not count.
=-.--.--.*.--.--.-=

Ceterum censeo Foedam solariam delendam esse.

Even the best in the world cannot measure up to a dozen highly motivated good-enoughs.
Post by Jeroswen   » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am

Jeroswen
Lieutenant Commander

Spacekiwi wrote:
rdt wrote:

I think both of you make excellent points. But we all know how enamored Hollywood is with endless personal conflicts. Here a conflict, there a conflict, everywhere another bleepin' conflict. argh. I personally find it annoying and boring, simultaneously. :-) So let'a hope the real screenwriters for this flick do something fresh and new and drop the extraneous guff....hey, I can dream :D

It's not like there aren't plenty of other, far more important and interesting, conflicts going on in this story; Medusans, Havenites. Klaus Hauptmann, dear Pavel....

I always thought that I would have tweaked McKeon's problem to mesh more in with Honor's problem with Pavel. All you would have to do is make it known that McKeon has resentment because he works his tail off but has had no "sponsorship" like other officers and as such hasn't advanced as fast. Honor's young look emphasizes this and causes the problems. Eventually the events with Hauptman and Pavel Young help him to realize he was wrong about Honor and helps mend the relationship. I think seeing this type of growth would be a nice change of pace from many movies and bring in many more people that otherwise would pay it much attention.

My main concern is the 100 min timeline. I hope they get sufficient funding to make at least 2 hours or 2.5 would be even better. Its a great story and it could all too easily break down to "wow just another starship fight" if cut too short.
Post by Timeonit   » Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 am

Timeonit
Ensign

Hey everybody,

I know it's been some time since anyone posted here, but I wanted to check something.

On which book will the movie be based?
At the beginning I thought it would be book 1, then I heard it'll be book two and now I read the plot on ImdbPro, which is for book one again.
http://kryptonradio.com/2013/07/29/news ... e-forward/
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/title/tt19778 ... v_addlinfo
Anyone know something definite?

Return to Honorverse