Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC
Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

The following started a bunch of error reports on Baen's Bar http://bar.baen.com/index.php?t=msg&th=94600&start=0&

Sawa wrote:I know that you say that you don't want typos reported but there is an inconsistency repeated since MtH that reares its head again. It's to do with Gryphon, MtH puts it down as Manticore B IV, but all the mainstream books and Jane reviev give Manticore B V. In the companion introduction to SKM (http://www.baenebooks.com/10.1125/Baen/ ... 52__26.htm) you have IV again, and only a chapter later in the SKM astrography section (http://www.baenebooks.com/10.1125/Baen/ ... 52__27.htm) it's V again.

It is reasonable to start a thread for you fact checkers here too as some of you may not be on Baen's Bar.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: Spoilers and possible Errors in House of Steel eARC
Post by Duckk   » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Deadline was yesterday. No more changes are accepted for correcting the text, and will have to be listed as errata somewhere else.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Of interest to treecat fans the Grayson section notes two more sets of 'cat went to Garyson now has treecat population of 42. Note data is pre Oyster bay so that number includes Farragut. House of Steel e-ARC page 483 of 591 Note MS word pagination starts with cover as page 1

Just for fun one of the FAQs:

David Weber wrote:What kind of beer is Old Tilman’s?

Old Tilman doesn’t actually have a precise terrestrial analog. The best way to think of it would be as a hoppy oatmeal stout with a touch of honey added for sweetness. What gives it its distinctive flavor, and the reason there isn’t a precise terrestrial analog, is that it is brewed exclusively on Sphinx using both oats and hops which have mutated/been genetically altered to suit their new environment. As a consequence, the oat-based malt has a fuller, sweeter flavor with a hint of almond and the hops are milder, not quite so bitter flavored. It’s really quite good, but I’m afraid I’m not prepared to share my personal stock of it with anyone else at this time. Sorry. [e-ARC House of Steel page 577]

Cheers David,

Poker

Post by TheMonster   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:Deadline was yesterday. No more changes are accepted for correcting the text, and will have to be listed as errata somewhere else.

Well, that's an awfully short window between releasing the eARC and shutting down corrections. It sort of defeats the purpose.
Post by pokermind   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:24 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
Duckk wrote:Deadline was yesterday. No more changes are accepted for correcting the text, and will have to be listed as errata somewhere else.

Well, that's an awfully short window between releasing the eARC and shutting down corrections. It sort of defeats the purpose.

Just because it might be too late to effect the final printing an added erata page(s) is possible as the Duckk suggest so if you find errors post them.

Poker

Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Is it just me, or is this set at a very odd period in time? It seems between the battle at Monica and BoM1.
Post by templehawk   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm

templehawk
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:Is it just me, or is this set at a very odd period in time? It seems between the battle at Monica and BoM1.

I agree but I am thinking maybe the idea started this as he was writing about that time period. I guess Weber figured he did not want throw too much at BuNine and risk the delay of the book further. He just choose a stopping point and stuck to it.

However, I must say he filled a lot of character and background holes. Some a lot more obvious than others now.

But I am a little skeptic of how one specific person and a VIP at that could came up with the origins of the current tech.
Post by tpope   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm

tpope
Ninth Space Lord

TheMonster wrote:

The final decision was up to Baen, but the eARC wasn't originally meant to solicit errata, at least not formally. In fact, I was under the impression that Baen usually asks that folks reading the eARCs do not send in corrections.

In this particular case, the comments that came in on Baen's Bar were quite helpful and caught a few errors we missed. Bur that was completely separate from the review process we started internally two weeks ago.
Post by Duckk   » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

kzt wrote:Is it just me, or is this set at a very odd period in time? It seems between the battle at Monica and BoM1.

As was explained on the Bar, the cutoff date was just prior to the Battle of Manticore. It was selected because events up to then are pretty much set, whereas anything after gives room for David to tinker with the details.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Garth 2   » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

so i'm just wondering how much does the jeune ecole school of though owe to Princess Roger?

Return to Honorverse