Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dafmeister, Google [Bot], illinoisboy, Reader Bob, TheMonster and 6 guests

Timothy Zahn to do books with David Weber in the Honorverse!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Timothy Zahn to do books with David Weber in the Honorverse!
Post by haque   » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:54 pm

haque
Ensign

Taken from Timothy Zahn's FB feed earlier today:

On another front entirely...

I'm finally able to officially announce a new project that's been in the works for the past few months: I'm going to collaborate with David Weber on three new novels in his famed Honor Harrington series.

These books will be set in the early days of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, 300-400 years before Honor herself, an era that's been mentioned in some of David's other books but only now beginning to be explored (in A Beautiful Friendship and his new series of YA books with Jane Lindskold).

Our first book (tentative title: A Travesty of Hope) is now up and running, with a projected pub date of early 2014.

As an extra bonus/teaser, I'll have a novella in David's next anthology (story title: "A Call To Arms"; anthology tentative title: Beginnings) that will introduce the main character of these books, Travis Uriah Long. That anthology should be out in late 2013.

For those of you who are Honorverse fans, these books should be a fun and interesting read. I know I'm looking forward to working with David to flesh out that part of Manticore's history.

If you have not read Zahn's Icarus Hunt or Cobra trilogy or Conqueror's trilogy, do it NAO.

The man is an amazing sci-fi writer and the sheer level of awesome of him writing the Honorverse with Weber is gonna make my brain melt from absolute joy as a reader.

Now if you'll excuse, I'm gonna go squeal like a little girl for a bit until I get the nerdgasm out of my system. XD
Re: Timothy Zahn to do books with David Weber in the Honorve
Post by kzt   » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:10 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Zahn has written really good stuff. Has. Past tense. Years ago. I threw the last book of the Conqueror's trilogy against a wall. I found the recent Cobra book to be barely passable and will not buy any others.

He's like Turtledove, but without the lightly rewritten history to hang his "plot" on.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Jonathan_S
Admiral

kzt wrote:Zahn has written really good stuff. Has. Past tense. Years ago. I threw the last book of the Conqueror's trilogy against a wall. I found the recent Cobra book to be barely passable and will not buy any others.
He's already done a couple of short stories in the Honorverse Anthologies - The Charles stories

"With One Stone" in The Service of the Sword and "An Act of War" in In Fire Forged. Not horrible, but not my favorite bits of those anthologies.
(Also I have real issues with how he handled Hemphill's "revelation" that grav sources could be used to for FTL signalling)

Still, more Honorverse is never a bad thing [G]
Post by KNick   » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm

KNick
Admiral

I agree that Zahn did write some good stuff years ago. I did not particularily like what he wrote for the anthologies. I would give him at best a "C". I will check the books to see if they are worthwhile, but I expect most of the writing to be done or at least approved by MWW.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Abaddon   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Abaddon
Commander

Color me officially excited, I think Zahn can do excellent work and I am hopeful that a collaboration with Mr Weber will produce something at least decent. (As in at or above the level of the YA series so far).
Post by kzt   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:42 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

He CAN. His original Cobra and Blackcollar books were great, he's written some great original short fiction, his SW books were great. After that, not so much.
Post by Rod   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Rod
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kzt wrote:Zahn has written really good stuff. Has. Past tense. Years ago. I threw the last book of the Conqueror's trilogy against a wall. I found the recent Cobra book to be barely passable and will not buy any others.

He's like Turtledove, but without the lightly rewritten history to hang his "plot" on.

I have to agree. And I never buy any of his latest books.
Post by Relax   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Relax
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:Zahn has...I threw the last book of the Conqueror's trilogy against a wall.

Not that I don't agree with you... I do, but man, your wall either:

A) Has a LOT of holes in it
B) Be seriously BUFF and TOUGH

Because

C) Not many books have a worth while plot

=)

Relax
Post by npadln   » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 pm

npadln
Commander

To me this seems like a distraction. Personally I would prefer that all creative attention be reserved for the completion of Honor Harrington's story. AFTER THAT I would have no problem revisiting the Honorverse. I fear neither him or me shall ever live to see this story's conclusion.
Post by bhasseler   » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am

bhasseler
Ensign

I was really pleased to hear this, too.

The first Zahn books I read were his Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. He dropped those into the Star Wars universe in such a way that I was convinced that characters like Thrawn and Karrde had always been right there, just off-stage. And I thought "With One Stone" did the same thing in the Honorverse. Plus his recent Quad Rail series is quite good.

haque wrote:Taken from Timothy Zahn's FB feed earlier today:

On another front entirely...

I'm finally able to officially announce a new project that's been in the works for the past few months: I'm going to collaborate with David Weber on three new novels in his famed Honor Harrington series.

These books will be set in the early days of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, 300-400 years before Honor herself, an era that's been mentioned in some of David's other books but only now beginning to be explored (in A Beautiful Friendship and his new series of YA books with Jane Lindskold).

Our first book (tentative title: A Travesty of Hope) is now up and running, with a projected pub date of early 2014.

As an extra bonus/teaser, I'll have a novella in David's next anthology (story title: "A Call To Arms"; anthology tentative title: Beginnings) that will introduce the main character of these books, Travis Uriah Long. That anthology should be out in late 2013.

For those of you who are Honorverse fans, these books should be a fun and interesting read. I know I'm looking forward to working with David to flesh out that part of Manticore's history.

If you have not read Zahn's Icarus Hunt or Cobra trilogy or Conqueror's trilogy, do it NAO.

The man is an amazing sci-fi writer and the sheer level of awesome of him writing the Honorverse with Weber is gonna make my brain melt from absolute joy as a reader.

Now if you'll excuse, I'm gonna go squeal like a little girl for a bit until I get the nerdgasm out of my system. XD

Return to Honorverse