Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 179 guests

Questions About Stars, etc. in Hyper

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Questions About Stars, etc. in Hyper
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:There is nothing detectable in hyperspace except for grav waves. You cannot see things like stars in hyperspace. The whole reason for the hyper log is because there is nothing in hyperspace that can provide navigational fixes.

That's not quite correct according to http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/125/1

I suspect that the apparent paradox is that while stars and wormholes are detectable, they are detectible only at short range and only in the Alpha band of Hyperspace -- i.e. useful only to the slowest of bulk freighters traveling in the Alpha Band.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:22 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Duckk wrote:There is nothing detectable in hyperspace except for grav waves. You cannot see things like stars in hyperspace. The whole reason for the hyper log is because there is nothing in hyperspace that can provide navigational fixes.

That's not quite correct according to http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/125/1

I suspect that the apparent paradox is that while stars and wormholes are detectable, they are detectible only at short range and only in the Alpha band of Hyperspace -- i.e. useful only to the slowest of bulk freighters traveling in the Alpha Band.

That infodump only says that there is turbulence in the vicinity of a star or a wormhole. But there are other sources of turbulence in hyperspace. The existence of turbulence does not tell you that there is a star or a wormhole nearby in normal space, and the star or wormhole itself is not detectable from hyperspace, not even in the alpha band.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by The E   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 am

The E
Admiral

In any case, those things aren't useful for long-range navigation.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 am

BobfromSydney
Commander

My first reaction to the idea of stars and things in hyperspace was to think that it was... creepy.

Then I started feeling excited.

Now that the idea has been shot down I feel relieved. It would be too much of a genre-changer if it existed.

Return to Honorverse