Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 156 guests

After Rising Thunder

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: After Rising Thunder
Post by CaptCaveman   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 pm

CaptCaveman
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:
Northstar wrote:And how do you egg BF into coming out to fight? Such that either they do and get reamed or don't and look an ineffectual coward to the entire settled galaxy.

RMN sends a message: 'On the 15th of March, at 21:00 hours we will initiate an operation to arrest the criminal leadership of the SLN and destroy the following list of sites on or around earth or Mars ... unless you do the following .... Otherwise consider this a 90 day warning to evacuate all non-combatants an area 5 km from the edge of the sites listed that are located on the surface of Earth or Mars and from 1000 km from any orbital site. Any attempt to interfere with our operation will be met with deadly force.'

Think the SLN will allow it's HQ to be destroyed and the leadership arrested without a fight? Or will flee like bunnies?

Now there are good reasons not to do this, but I think you could force the SLN to fight.

I've thought about this somewhat and if I remember right Mars is a major construction base with a large part of the mothball fleet nearby. Somebody like Alice Truman shows up and makes an all channels announcement in the clear that in 24 hours she will move in and wipe it all out. A major portion of BF is still in-system and outnumbers her heavily. Will they fight and die or run away in front of everybody and their dog?
Post by TheMonster   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:RMN sends a message: 'On the 15th of March, at 21:00 hours we will initiate an operation to arrest the criminal leadership of the SLN and destroy the following list of sites on or around earth or Mars ...
But the Manticoran leadership knows better than to press an attack against the Solar System, because that is likely to unify the Sollies, when the plan is to fracture them into successor states too small to threaten Manticore. The SLN has a lot of bases besides Hyperion One. Once the Beowulf production lines for Apollo pods and Keyhole II platforms get cranked up, and the Mycroft systems are installed there, Spindle, and any other likely targets, Grand Fleet is freed up to engage in offensive operations. That means hitting every other SLN base and yard, unless the local government secedes and agrees to a mutual non-aggression treaty with the GA members before Grand Fleet gets to them.

I won't be surprised to read of a GF operation where as soon as they notify the locals they're going to take out the SLN facilities, they get the response "can we just surrender to you instead, and you can protect us from OFS?" Instead of destroying those SLN bases/yards, they'll become GA advance bases, making for improved resupply and repair. Obviously they won't want to disclose the Apollo tech to these new friends, but they can easily follow the model for cooperation with Haven: Let the former SLN yards build SD(P)s to GA specifications, with empty magazines and Keyhole bays, to be filled with units shipped from Beowulf. They can also build the modules to be assembled into fortresses, starting with the ones for their own defenses, so that these new yards will be roughly as well defended as the new MBS yards. And of course they can build smaller ships, such as the LACs that will be needed to defend the seceding systems from pirates and commerce raiders....
Post by rdt   » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm

rdt
Commodore

Theswerd wrote:
HerrDerSchatten wrote:Runsforcelery, I am not concerned about the issue regarding the exact mode of splitting. I am concerend about two problems:

1. Does the next book advance the story? The last books suffered from a "80% percent of the time the story did not advance at all, than all interesting thinks happened in a hurry and finished in a cliffhanger"-feeling. I refuse to buy a book which does not expand the story at all.

2. Di you ameliorate the meeting room feeling? The last books felt like reading the protocols of our staff meeting. Necessary, but booring as hell. To be fair: I like politics and politic maneuvring - but you concentrated to far on "what if" strategy discussions and not enough on showing.
I knew critic is always hard to swallow but I criticize you because I really like your work and often think of the late books of unpolished gems. The safehold books (except #2) have way better story progression and therefore I read them more, and that is sad, because the honorverse is much more interesting.

Wait... these were problems? Part of what I enjoy so much from Weber is the wondering that end up leading nowhere. I mean, really, our hero is going to only thing about the concerns that will actually happen? Of course not, they will wonder and worry and plan against all KINDS of possible enemy actions (political, military, or otherwise), and still get surprised. Most authors seem to just cut out the boring ones and only deal with contingencies for what will actually happen. MWW has stretched my mind in how I view the world, in most every aspect, because everything *must* be considered for even simple actions.

Does politics get a little long in the tooth, or sometimes make for dry reading? Meh, somewhat, but only because the readers of the genre tend towards wanting action scenes. Readers of political fiction would be at home, and wonder why MWW insists on blowing things up in a perfectly good political novel!

Critique his grammar, sure. Spelling, yeah. Maybe note inconsistencies in his math. *cough* But the content is purely his choice, and I am firmly of the camp that if you don't like it, that's your problem, not the authors.

Ahem. I'll step down off my soap box now and wait eagerly for my next Harrington fix.

So there. I agree with Theswerd.
As the French say "shack to his own goo." I am sorry about the mangled French, of which I have none...obviously.
Post by Jehal   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:27 am

Jehal
Midshipman

Hi guys,

After 3 years, how is the situation about the futur book of honor adventures ?
Post by SWM   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:15 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jehal wrote:Hi guys,

The word as of July 10 is that David is working on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom. All "Honor Harrington" era novels will be in a single sequence going forward; there will not be any more titles designated as Torch or Saganami subseries.

There is also reportedly work progressing on the next Honorverse Companion, House of Lies.

There is no word on whether or when there might be another anthology.

The Young Adult series (Star Kingdom series) is over; the author had to deal with other things.

The Manticore Ascendant series (Travis Long era) continues; the next book (A Call To Arms) is about to be released and I think the next book has been started; can anyone confirm?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Erls   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:

The word as of July 10 is that David is working on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom. All "Honor Harrington" era novels will be in a single sequence going forward; there will not be any more titles designated as Torch or Saganami subseries.

There is also reportedly work progressing on the next Honorverse Companion, House of Lies.

The Young Adult series (Star Kingdom series) is over; the author had to deal with other things.

The Manticore Ascendant series (Travis Long era) continues; the next book (A Call To Arms) is about to be released and I think the next book has been started; can anyone confirm?

I believe A Call To Arms is being released either late this fall or early winter 2016. I know the E-ARC is up at Baen's (Already purchased and read), so it is definitely pretty close to completion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 3rd book is already underway as the editors take their turns at ACTA.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:40 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

SWM wrote:The word as of July 10 is that David is working on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom. All "Honor Harrington" era novels will be in a single sequence going forward; there will not be any more titles designated as Torch or Saganami subseries.

Erls wrote:I believe A Call To Arms is being released either late this fall or early winter 2016. I know the E-ARC is up at Baen's (Already purchased and read), so it is definitely pretty close to completion. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 3rd book is already underway as the editors take their turns at ACTA.

A Call to Arms is scheduled for October.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:44 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
kzt wrote:RMN sends a message: 'On the 15th of March, at 21:00 hours we will initiate an operation to arrest the criminal leadership of the SLN and destroy the following list of sites on or around earth or Mars ...

But the Manticoran leadership knows better than to press an attack against the Solar System, because that is likely to unify the Sollies, when the plan is to fracture them into successor states too small to threaten Manticore.

An attack on the Mars base isn't the same as an attack on Old Earth. Going beyond Hyperion to actually attack Earth isn't a good idea, partly for the reasons suggested.
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:20 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

JohnRoth wrote:
TheMonster wrote:But the Manticoran leadership knows better than to press an attack against the Solar System, because that is likely to unify the Sollies, when the plan is to fracture them into successor states too small to threaten Manticore.

An attack on the Mars base isn't the same as an attack on Old Earth. Going beyond Hyperion to actually attack Earth isn't a good idea, partly for the reasons suggested.

You know the saying "In for a penny - in for a pound"? If the Sollies are clever, they could try to spin the story, so that any attack against installations in the Solar System is regarded the same as an attack against Old Earth itself ...

That's why it is an option, to attack installations in the Solar System - yes - but only after long, meticulous considerations and analyses, because it is a heavy public relations-risk, too. Even an attack on the Mars could trigger unintended consequences, which could bring down the GA in the (very) long run. Especially the Malign would have a field day and declare itself as the "Solarian League Reborne", with all the plusses of the Old League and none of its warts ...
Post by kzt   » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:49 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think that was part of my plan to attempt to destroy the entire SLN in an afternoon. You want to give them plenty of time to prepare and mass forces....

Return to Honorverse