Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 144 guests

After Rising Thunder

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: After Rising Thunder
Post by Theswerd   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Theswerd
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

HerrDerSchatten wrote:Runsforcelery, I am not concerned about the issue regarding the exact mode of splitting. I am concerend about two problems:

1. Does the next book advance the story? The last books suffered from a "80% percent of the time the story did not advance at all, than all interesting thinks happened in a hurry and finished in a cliffhanger"-feeling. I refuse to buy a book which does not expand the story at all.

2. Di you ameliorate the meeting room feeling? The last books felt like reading the protocols of our staff meeting. Necessary, but booring as hell. To be fair: I like politics and politic maneuvring - but you concentrated to far on "what if" strategy discussions and not enough on showing.
I knew critic is always hard to swallow but I criticize you because I really like your work and often think of the late books of unpolished gems. The safehold books (except #2) have way better story progression and therefore I read them more, and that is sad, because the honorverse is much more interesting.

Wait... these were problems? Part of what I enjoy so much from Weber is the wondering that end up leading nowhere. I mean, really, our hero is going to only thing about the concerns that will actually happen? Of course not, they will wonder and worry and plan against all KINDS of possible enemy actions (political, military, or otherwise), and still get surprised. Most authors seem to just cut out the boring ones and only deal with contingencies for what will actually happen. MWW has stretched my mind in how I view the world, in most every aspect, because everything *must* be considered for even simple actions.

Does politics get a little long in the tooth, or sometimes make for dry reading? Meh, somewhat, but only because the readers of the genre tend towards wanting action scenes. Readers of political fiction would be at home, and wonder why MWW insists on blowing things up in a perfectly good political novel!

Critique his grammar, sure. Spelling, yeah. Maybe note inconsistencies in his math. *cough* But the content is purely his choice, and I am firmly of the camp that if you don't like it, that's your problem, not the authors.

Ahem. I'll step down off my soap box now and wait eagerly for my next Harrington fix.
Post by Buckfan328   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Buckfan328
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Theswerd wrote:
HerrDerSchatten wrote:Runsforcelery, I am not concerned about the issue regarding the exact mode of splitting. I am concerend about two problems:

1. Does the next book advance the story? The last books suffered from a "80% percent of the time the story did not advance at all, than all interesting thinks happened in a hurry and finished in a cliffhanger"-feeling. I refuse to buy a book which does not expand the story at all.

2. Di you ameliorate the meeting room feeling? The last books felt like reading the protocols of our staff meeting. Necessary, but booring as hell. To be fair: I like politics and politic maneuvring - but you concentrated to far on "what if" strategy discussions and not enough on showing.
I knew critic is always hard to swallow but I criticize you because I really like your work and often think of the late books of unpolished gems. The safehold books (except #2) have way better story progression and therefore I read them more, and that is sad, because the honorverse is much more interesting.

Wait... these were problems? Part of what I enjoy so much from Weber is the wondering that end up leading nowhere. I mean, really, our hero is going to only thing about the concerns that will actually happen? Of course not, they will wonder and worry and plan against all KINDS of possible enemy actions (political, military, or otherwise), and still get surprised. Most authors seem to just cut out the boring ones and only deal with contingencies for what will actually happen. MWW has stretched my mind in how I view the world, in most every aspect, because everything *must* be considered for even simple actions.

Does politics get a little long in the tooth, or sometimes make for dry reading? Meh, somewhat, but only because the readers of the genre tend towards wanting action scenes. Readers of political fiction would be at home, and wonder why MWW insists on blowing things up in a perfectly good political novel!

Critique his grammar, sure. Spelling, yeah. Maybe note inconsistencies in his math. *cough* But the content is purely his choice, and I am firmly of the camp that if you don't like it, that's your problem, not the authors.

Ahem. I'll step down off my soap box now and wait eagerly for my next Harrington fix.

I agree that the boss has the right to split, plot, and otherwise design his work in any way he so desires. If how he wrote was too affected by what people thought of it, then it would lose the essence of what makes it the work we all know and love.

That being said, I think its fair for HerrDerSchatten to express his...reservations. Perhaps a little more boldly than I might to the man himself.

I will honestly admit that A Rising Thunder was one of the...less satisfying Honorverse books I have read (perhaps even the least to be perfectly frank). I haven't been able to fully put my finger on why but I'll give it a shot.

As one who is fond of analogies, I'll start out by saying that ART sort of felt like...like getting served course after course of dainty appetizers at a fancy dinner only to be informed at the end of it all that unfortunately there was a technical problem in the kitchen and the entree would not be coming for some time (that metaphorically being the moment when I clicked "next page" on my kindle only to be smacked upside the head by my arch-nemesis named "Cast of Characters" bu...buuuttt its only 94%! but I digress...). It seemed to me that perhaps a bit too much of the book was spent setting up something much bigger and beyond the scope of the book, and not enough to the actual plot to be concluded in the book itself. Don't get me wrong, I am a big big fan of HUGE plot arcs, which is one of the reasons I like his work. But I still need, you know, a modest entree.

To be fair, he really doesn't have to take my critique too seriously since I will beyond any doubt be buying everything he produces (and asking for the signed hard covers I can't really afford for Christmas presents :) until one of us becomes incapacitated.

On a more introspective note, I suspect that my perspective on ART might be a little biased by the way I came to the Honorverse. At All Costs was already in paperback by the time I picked up OBS for the first time. I discovered the honorverse while on one of my wikipedia binges (hyperlink...read...hyperlink), this one about speculative space technology. I ended up picking up OBS, then Honor of the Queen. Then...since I was laid up from surgery, I got a rather large box from Amazon which I proceeded to read in about 3 weeks. Looking back I can identify several books which might have been equally as frustrating as ART had I not been able to reach down into my handy-dandy amazon box and keep going (the one that comes immediately to mind is the 2-3 books that compose the Hell story arc).

Given that I've now read through the entire series 3 times since then, I have no problem taking the man's word when he says its all going to be worth it in the end. He hasn't let me down before :)

On a personal note, thanks to RFC for turning that narcotic fogged, external fixator clad leg perpetually elevated on a couple of pillows period of my life into a fair approximation of...bliss :)
Post by Alistair   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

I love DW but with the story getting so big and involving so many people he will have his work cut out keeping things moving and us finding out what happens with the minor characters.

I sometimes feel that DW can't win

I want to know what is happening to Dresden's economy and the relationship between Gwen and whats her name for example.

But I also want a single book to move the plot along and give me that satisfied feeling.

Given the depth of the series and all that is going on I think DW is doing amazingly well
Post by Gustav   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 am

Gustav
Commander

Buckfan328 wrote:I will honestly admit that A Rising Thunder was one of the...less satisfying Honorverse books I have read (perhaps even the least to be perfectly frank). I haven't been able to fully put my finger on why but I'll give it a shot.

I have already read the "A rising thunder" E-Arc at least 5 or 6 times
It was a great read, but I am of course very interested in politics, strategy, risk analysis and economy.
Post by blackjack217   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 pm

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

Main weakness of ART was a lack of suspense. Was any reader really in doubt about whether Manticore could beat back Operation Raging Justice?
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

blackjack217 wrote:Main weakness of ART was a lack of suspense. Was any reader really in doubt about whether Manticore could beat back Operation Raging Justice?

About as much doubt as to the outcome as I had reading May's "Strange Victory: Hitlers Conquest of France".

"Up next, a fight to the death between Cub Scout Pack 1157 and the 234th Guards Airborne Regiment. I can't wait to see how this will end..."

I exaggerate, but the firepower differences are so absurd now that it seems kind of pointless. 8th fleet alone could kill all of Battle Fleet in an afternoon, taking no losses, if BF could be conveniently gathered into one place.
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

kzt wrote:
blackjack217 wrote:Main weakness of ART was a lack of suspense. Was any reader really in doubt about whether Manticore could beat back Operation Raging Justice?

About as much doubt as to the outcome as I had reading May's "Strange Victory: Hitlers Conquest of France".

"Up next, a fight to the death between Cub Scout Pack 1157 and the 234th Guards Airborne Regiment. I can't wait to see how this will end..."

I exaggerate, but the firepower differences are so absurd now that it seems kind of pointless. 8th fleet alone could kill all of Battle Fleet in an afternoon, taking no losses, if BF could be conveniently gathered into one place.

Hopefully we can get the Detweiler-class into service soon - I'd really like to see the engagement between Eighth Fleet and a squadron of Lenny-Detts. That's really the next step, and it's a shame it's taking a while for us to reach it.
Post by Northstar   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:

Too true and I have no interest in 'fair fights' with the SLN or OFS, when have they ever given a rat's fanny about being fair to anyone?

There is also the strategy of peeling systems off from OFS control one way or another, vaguely like the island hopping WWII in the Pacific... sort of. :-)... vaguely. How to do this.

And how do you egg BF into coming out to fight? Such that either they do and get reamed or don't and look an ineffectual coward to the entire settled galaxy.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Northstar wrote:And how do you egg BF into coming out to fight? Such that either they do and get reamed or don't and look an ineffectual coward to the entire settled galaxy.

RMN sends a message: 'On the 15th of March, at 21:00 hours we will initiate an operation to arrest the criminal leadership of the SLN and destroy the following list of sites on or around earth or Mars ... unless you do the following .... Otherwise consider this a 90 day warning to evacuate all non-combatants an area 5 km from the edge of the sites listed that are located on the surface of Earth or Mars and from 1000 km from any orbital site. Any attempt to interfere with our operation will be met with deadly force.'

Think the SLN will allow it's HQ to be destroyed and the leadership arrested without a fight? Or will flee like bunnies?

Now there are good reasons not to do this, but I think you could force the SLN to fight.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Northstar wrote:And how do you egg BF into coming out to fight? Such that either they do and get reamed or don't and look an ineffectual coward to the entire settled galaxy.

RMN sends a message: 'On the 15th of March, at 21:00 hours we will initiate an operation to arrest the criminal leadership of the SLN and destroy the following list of sites on or around earth or Mars ... unless you do the following .... Otherwise consider this a 90 day warning to evacuate all non-combatants an area 5 km from the edge of the sites listed that are located on the surface of Earth or Mars and from 1000 km from any orbital site. Any attempt to interfere with our operation will be met with deadly force.'

Think the SLN will allow it's HQ to be destroyed and the leadership arrested without a fight? Or will flee like bunnies?

Now there are good reasons not to do this, but I think you could force the SLN to fight.

Now if the SEM did do this it would be fun!

Return to Honorverse