Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

After Rising Thunder

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
After Rising Thunder
Post by Jehal   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:06 am

Jehal
Midshipman

Hi everybody,

I m a french guys who fall in love about Weber's Book, i read Thunder rising and i have a question !

when the next book after Rising thunder comming ?

Thanks
Re: After Rising Thunder
Post by Werrf   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:31 am

Werrf
Vice Admiral

The next book is Shadow of Freedom, set in the Talbott Quadrant. You can get information here, or you could try using Google.
Post by drothgery   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 am

drothgery
Admiral

Actually, that's something of a tricky question, although Werf gave the book you're probably looking for (it's scheduled to hit print in March 2013).

David Weber's next book, going by what hits print next in the US, is Midst of Trial and Tribulation which is part of the Safehold series (completely different universe). That's coming out in September.

The next Honorverse book due out is Weber & Jane Lindskold's Fire Season in October, but that's a sequel to the young adult novel A Beautiful Friendship and set centuries before the main plot line.

Shadow of Freedom is the next main timeline Honorverse book, but at least technically it's the sequel to Storm from the Shadows, not A Rising Thunder and Weber has indicated that the events in the book mostly take place parallel to the events of A Rising Thunder rather than after them. Admittedly, the 'shadows' books and the main Honor books got very intertwined with Storm from the Shadows and Mission of Honor, but I think Weber tried to disentangle them more for Shadow of Freedom and A Rising Thunder.

As to the next main line Honor book, I'm not aware of even any vague hints as to when that will be out. I'd guess some time in 2014 based on no information at all. Though in 2013 we will also get an Honorverse Compendium (House of Steel, May) with a short story (relatively speaking) featuring young King Roger, and probably get another 'spies' book in Cauldron of Ghosts (with Eric Flint; squel to Torch of Freedom).
Post by JohnRoth   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:21 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

drothgery wrote:Actually, that's something of a tricky question, although Werf gave the book you're probably looking for (it's scheduled to hit print in March 2013).

David Weber's next book, going by what hits print next in the US, is Midst of Trial and Tribulation which is part of the Safehold series (completely different universe). That's coming out in September.

The next Honorverse book due out is Weber & Jane Lindskold's Fire Season in October, but that's a sequel to the young adult novel A Beautiful Friendship and set centuries before the main plot line.

Shadow of Freedom is the next main timeline Honorverse book, but at least technically it's the sequel to Storm from the Shadows, not A Rising Thunder and Weber has indicated that the events in the book mostly take place parallel to the events of A Rising Thunder rather than after them. Admittedly, the 'shadows' books and the main Honor books got very intertwined with Storm from the Shadows and Mission of Honor, but I think Weber tried to disentangle them more for Shadow of Freedom and A Rising Thunder.

As to the next main line Honor book, I'm not aware of even any vague hints as to when that will be out. I'd guess some time in 2014 based on no information at all. Though in 2013 we will also get an Honorverse Compendium (House of Steel, May) with a short story (relatively speaking) featuring young King Roger, and probably get another 'spies' book in Cauldron of Ghosts (with Eric Flint; squel to Torch of Freedom).

That's about what I understand, although I've got one minor correction: after a fair number of reader complaints, DW seems to be trying to unify the mainline and Talbott Sector activity. He did in Mission of Honor (it actually begins after Storm from the Shadows finishes) and he said that he had planned for a single book covering both the mainline and Talbott Sector activity, but he realized partway through writing the first draft that it would be just too big, as well as having other issues.

Since Baen is planning for the next year to have a lot of Honorverse activity (it's the 20th anniversary of On Basilisk Station) I wouldn't be surprised if there are other Honorverse books planned in 2013 besides the special edition of OBS (early April), the third Star Kingdom novel and the third Torch novel. Intriguingly, the hardcover of the Honorverse Companion, House of Steel (May) is marked as volume 1.
Post by Lunan   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

the next eric flint book (companion of ghosts i think is the working title) should be coming out. and i would be very shocked if we don't see another full honor book in the october/dec time frame
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

JohnRoth wrote:
drothgery wrote:Actually, that's something of a tricky question, although Werf gave the book you're probably looking for (it's scheduled to hit print in March 2013).

That's about what I understand, although I've got one minor correction: after a fair number of reader complaints, DW seems to be trying to unify the mainline and Talbott Sector activity. He did in Mission of Honor (it actually begins after Storm from the Shadows finishes) and he said that he had planned for a single book covering both the mainline and Talbott Sector activity, but he realized partway through writing the first draft that it would be just too big, as well as having other issues.

Since Baen is planning for the next year to have a lot of Honorverse activity (it's the 20th anniversary of On Basilisk Station) I wouldn't be surprised if there are other Honorverse books planned in 2013 besides the special edition of OBS (early April), the third Star Kingdom novel and the third Torch novel. Intriguingly, the hardcover of the Honorverse Companion, House of Steel (May) is marked as volume 1.

That's not quite correct. I see no reason to unify those story lines because I never separated them, and I have no intention of writing additional 350,000-word novels just so I can put all the details in every area of the universe into a single volume. Reader complaints may be informative, but I don't allow them to dictate the way in which I think the story needs to be told. The notion that I decided half way through writing ART that I was going to regretfully give up and split things off isn't really accurate. I was well into the project with some story elements which could have gone in either the Talbott Quadrant portion of the story or the Home Front portion of the story and the book was growing longer than the word count to which I am attenmpting to hold them. I therefore decided that those elements would be pulled out of ART and moved over to SoF. The story lines will merge where they merge and be told separately where that seems best to me. The real problem, I think, is that people persist in thinking of them as separate series when they are nothing of the sort at this point. The TQ books are just as "main stem" as the Home Front books, at least as far as the guy telling the story is concerned.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kzt   » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:The TQ books are just as "main stem" as the Home Front books, at least as far as the guy telling the story is concerned.

But what does he know compared to us? :)
Post by HerrDerSchatten   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:09 am

HerrDerSchatten
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Runsforcelery, I am not concerned about the issue regarding the exact mode of splitting. I am concerend about two problems:

1. Does the next book advance the story? The last books suffered from a "80% percent of the time the story did not advance at all, than all interesting thinks happened in a hurry and finished in a cliffhanger"-feeling. I refuse to buy a book which does not expand the story at all.

2. Di you ameliorate the meeting room feeling? The last books felt like reading the protocols of our staff meeting. Necessary, but booring as hell. To be fair: I like politics and politic maneuvring - but you concentrated to far on "what if" strategy discussions and not enough on showing.
I knew critic is always hard to swallow but I criticize you because I really like your work and often think of the late books of unpolished gems. The safehold books (except #2) have way better story progression and therefore I read them more, and that is sad, because the honorverse is much more interesting.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:09 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Jehal wrote:Hi everybody,

I m a french guys who fall in love about Weber's Book, i read Thunder rising and i have a question !

when the next book after Rising thunder comming ?

Thanks

Bonjour Jehal,Bienvenue sur les forums. J'espère que vous amusez-vous ici. N'hésitez pas à prod, piquez, et tout remettre en question.

sorry if my french isn't too good.

for those non french speakers:
Hello Jehal, welcome to the forums. I hope you have fun here. Feel free to prod, poke, and question everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its not paranoia if it's justified....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

HerrDerSchatten wrote:Runsforcelery, I am not concerned about the issue regarding the exact mode of splitting. I am concerend about two problems:

1. Does the next book advance the story? The last books suffered from a "80% percent of the time the story did not advance at all, than all interesting thinks happened in a hurry and finished in a cliffhanger"-feeling. I refuse to buy a book which does not expand the story at all.

2. Di you ameliorate the meeting room feeling? The last books felt like reading the protocols of our staff meeting. Necessary, but booring as hell. To be fair: I like politics and politic maneuvring - but you concentrated to far on "what if" strategy discussions and not enough on showing.
I knew critic is always hard to swallow but I criticize you because I really like your work and often think of the late books of unpolished gems. The safehold books (except #2) have way better story progression and therefore I read them more, and that is sad, because the honorverse is much more interesting.

I guess you'll just have to read them to find out. Or not. [G]

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse