Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 147 guests

What's the chance of a Streek Drive Super Dreadnought?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What's the chance of a Streek Drive Super Dreadnought?
Post by pokermind   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Hi All

Could Streak Drive be used on the Honorverse's largest military ships the SDPs? Or is there a size limit.

A fleet of such ships could sucessfuly attack an enemy held wormhole terminus. But I seem to remember a size limit on Streak Drive ships somewhere. Help!

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: What's the chance of a Streak Drive Super Dreadnought?
Post by Werrf   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

Actually, I don't recall any discussion of a limit to the size of ship that a streak drive could be fitted to - the only size limit was the size of the installation itself. So I'd say there's an excellent chance of a streak drive SD showing up some time (unless I'm mis-remembering).
Post by Castenea   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Werrf wrote:Actually, I don't recall any discussion of a limit to the size of ship that a streak drive could be fitted to - the only size limit was the size of the installation itself. So I'd say there's an excellent chance of a streak drive SD showing up some time (unless I'm mis-remembering).

Since my recollection agrees with yours, I think all new military vessels will have it after the new flavor is designed and tested at bolthole. Probably take a minimum of 6 mo. to test the new hyper generator, and a year to design how to fit into war ships.
Re: What's the chance of a Streek Drive Super Dreadnought?
Post by Bernd   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Bernd
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I think the main reason not to use a streek drive ship is the higher you go in Hyperspace the higher your chances of a drive failure. I expect to see DDs, LCs, CAs, and maybe BC based ships. It all depends on how often your Streek drive has a catastrophic failure and how much risk you are willing to take with ship and crew.
Post by psy9o   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:54 pm

psy9o
Lieutenant Commander

I seem to remember also that the streak drive is almost twice as big as a normal drive. In a courier ship this doesn't matter because it's basically the smallest ship you can cram the fastest engine in and it has no armor or weapons. However in warships the extra space required for the streak drive could be deemed to high to make it worth it, since the steak drive has no effect on combat both in n-space and h-space since it only allows transition to a higher band and not extra maneuverability in h-space.

this all depends on how much % of space a hyper drive occupies inside a ship. If it is the difference between 0.5% and 1% they would probably do it but if it is the difference between 10% and 20% that is a different situation.
Post by Bernd   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Bernd
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Castenea wrote:
Werrf wrote:Actually, I don't recall any discussion of a limit to the size of ship that a streak drive could be fitted to - the only size limit was the size of the installation itself. So I'd say there's an excellent chance of a streak drive SD showing up some time (unless I'm mis-remembering).

Since my recollection agrees with yours, I think all new military vessels will have it after the new flavor is designed and tested at bolthole. Probably take a minimum of 6 mo. to test the new hyper generator, and a year to design how to fit into war ships.

I have a question does anyone know if the GA got a complete tech specks for the Streek drive or only the mathematics behind the drive? I know they have the drives inventor but do they have a set of Blueprints or only the theory behind the drive. If they only have the math then I expect at least a year for a prototype drive and then a year of testing to make sure the bugs are out. Then you start by building courier ships followed by a Roland B or C class ship for fast scouting missions and more field testing. I say we are 3-5 years from BC and above class ships having a Streek drive ship.
Post by blackjack217   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 pm

blackjack217
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bernd wrote:
Castenea wrote:

I have a question does anyone know if the GA got a complete tech specks for the Streek drive or only the mathematics behind the drive? I know they have the drives inventor but do they have a set of Blueprints or only the theory behind the drive. If they only have the math then I expect at least a year for a prototype drive and then a year of testing to make sure the bugs are out. Then you start by building courier ships followed by a Roland B or C class ship for fast scouting missions and more field testing. I say we are 3-5 years from BC and above class ships having a Streek drive ship.

I don't think they have the V2 scematics but they do have Werner Von Braun. "Our Germans are better than their Germans"
Post by savadrin   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:27 pm

savadrin
Lieutenant Commander

they didn't get complete spec's, just the guy behind the theory. the science and number crunching guy. leave the rest up to the engineers like lewis and forraker.

i expect streak drives will be more suitable to super dreadnoughts, though we'll probably see them on a wide range of ships. seeing as they are larger, it will be less of a sacrifice to put them on larger ships
Post by Castenea   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Bernd wrote:I have a question does anyone know if the GA got a complete tech specks for the Streek drive or only the mathematics behind the drive? I know they have the drives inventor but do they have a set of Blueprints or only the theory behind the drive. If they only have the math then I expect at least a year for a prototype drive and then a year of testing to make sure the bugs are out. Then you start by building courier ships followed by a Roland B or C class ship for fast scouting missions and more field testing. I say we are 3-5 years from BC and above class ships having a Streek drive ship.

I think you are pessimistic about how quickly the Streak drive can be used, due mostly to the wartime reduction in testing. Radar basically went from lab bench test systems in ~1938 to large inplace coastal systems by 1940, to ship board and air craft systems in general deployment in 1945. Several ASW systems went from a bright idea to general deployment in less than a year.

But given that I doubt that Simoes has blueprints for the drive memorized, even if he does have the theory behind the generator. I doubt that even with the war rush, the new version of the generator can be built and installed in a test ship in under 3 mo. Also can you see our favorite tech witches not trying to improve on any toys they get their hands on?
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

psy9o wrote:I seem to remember also that the streak drive is almost twice as big as a normal drive. In a courier ship this doesn't matter because it's basically the smallest ship you can cram the fastest engine in and it has no armor or weapons. However in warships the extra space required for the streak drive could be deemed to high to make it worth it, since the steak drive has no effect on combat both in n-space and h-space since it only allows transition to a higher band and not extra maneuverability in h-space.

this all depends on how much % of space a hyper drive occupies inside a ship. If it is the difference between 0.5% and 1% they would probably do it but if it is the difference between 10% and 20% that is a different situation.

Agreed.
Otherwise you end up with an FFL sized vessel with the speed of a 300 ton PGG but underarmed compared to that same PGG [E.G. LCS].

My read is that most Honorverse ships are ~20 percent engineering already...
"Who Dares Wins"

Return to Honorverse