Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 107 guests

What Became of the [Former] Silesian Confederacy worlds?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What Became of the [Former] Silesian Confederacy worlds?
Post by Chev   » Mon May 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Chev
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I would like to read about Sarnow's & Bachfisch's adventures in Silesia. 3 books sounds about right.
Post by kzt   » Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Renegade13 wrote:it won't take much of RFC's time to make sure that they are acceptable and fit with his plans for the Honorverse in general.

The general rule for collaborations is that it takes twice the work for half the money. So I have my doubts.
Post by Renegade13   » Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 am

Renegade13
Commander

kzt wrote:
Renegade13 wrote:it won't take much of RFC's time to make sure that they are acceptable and fit with his plans for the Honorverse in general.

The general rule for collaborations is that it takes twice the work for half the money. So I have my doubts.

Well, I think it would be less of a collaboration as some trusted authors dabbling in areas that RFC allows them to, and with RFC having final approval of both basic story concept and the finished product. Of course, I could be completely wrong - it has happened before (once or twice.... LOL).
Post by Psyten   » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 am

Psyten
Midshipman

Well, there is already a perfectly good plot point that doesn't require a falling out with the Andermani.

The Solarian League has decided that the best course of action is to raid the Grand Alliance's infrastructure and commerce. Talbott and the Silesia Territories (for want of a better name) are new acquisitions. Seeing as how Manticore has already proven it can handle it's home system, despite the Yawata Strike and, while the Talbott Cluster is closest to the League, it also has a large percentage of Next-Gen (from the Sollies perspective) warships, Silesia must seem pretty tempting. Manticore can't being to have the number of hulls needed to protect all of the Silesia Territories AND the Talbott Cluster, so a quick force should be able to pop in, blow up all the orbital infrastructure, and get out before a significant Manty force can counter them, especially if they operate their battlecruisers in squadron strength or more.

Sure, one or two Saganami-C's might be able to hold off a squadron of BCs for a time, but eventually, if the Sollies push hard enough and don't turn tail and run, the Manties will be forced to run instead, if for nothing else than lack of missiles. That is, of course, so long as I am not seriously underestimating the Saganami-C's, at which point, the League is screwed no matter what is does.

But a more likely senario is that the Sollies will be up against Reliants more often then Nikes. Still, the Reliants should be on equal enough footing with the Indefatigables and Nevadas that battles of 1:1 proportions should be able to go either way depending on commander. Not to mention how much I'd like the see the Grayson's vindicated for their choice of energy weapons on the Raoul Courvosier- and Jason Alverez-Class ships.

Action in Silesia could have all those ships that were left behind by Manticore's technological growing pains, like the Saganami-A's and -B's, and even the Benjamin the Greats. I don't the the Benjamins got broken down for scrap, but I could be wrong, and I won't mind seeing them in action, even if they would never be PoV.
Post by Garth 2   » Tue May 08, 2012 4:36 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

A series of short stories would be cool, seen from an ONI/SIS (or possibile the SKM Imperial police) perspective dealing with the correption, Mesa sales/handlers, pirates etc. Don't forget the libration of what was it called, the Planet where the 'pleasure resorts' was held. (It was lnked to the desruction of the RMN cruiser by the Andies in War of Honor?)
Post by eron12   » Tue May 08, 2012 5:26 am

eron12
Midshipman

One thing to remember is that the partition only took place a few years before the current time. Systems don't magically change overnight. Look at how little the Talbot Cluster has changed, and the anexation process began prior to the partition of Silesia.
Post by Duckk   » Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 am

Duckk
Site Admin

The Talbott Quadrant has been getting LAC wings ever since the annexation was approved. It'd take a pretty hefty Frontier Fleet force to break through even a single wing of LACs, and that's not counting any system defense pods or mobile units which might also be available.

Psyten wrote:Well, there is already a perfectly good plot point that doesn't require a falling out with the Andermani.

The Solarian League has decided that the best course of action is to raid the Grand Alliance's infrastructure and commerce. Talbott and the Silesia Territories (for want of a better name) are new acquisitions. Seeing as how Manticore has already proven it can handle it's home system, despite the Yawata Strike and, while the Talbott Cluster is closest to the League, it also has a large percentage of Next-Gen (from the Sollies perspective) warships, Silesia must seem pretty tempting. Manticore can't being to have the number of hulls needed to protect all of the Silesia Territories AND the Talbott Cluster, so a quick force should be able to pop in, blow up all the orbital infrastructure, and get out before a significant Manty force can counter them, especially if they operate their battlecruisers in squadron strength or more.

Sure, one or two Saganami-C's might be able to hold off a squadron of BCs for a time, but eventually, if the Sollies push hard enough and don't turn tail and run, the Manties will be forced to run instead, if for nothing else than lack of missiles. That is, of course, so long as I am not seriously underestimating the Saganami-C's, at which point, the League is screwed no matter what is does.

But a more likely senario is that the Sollies will be up against Reliants more often then Nikes. Still, the Reliants should be on equal enough footing with the Indefatigables and Nevadas that battles of 1:1 proportions should be able to go either way depending on commander. Not to mention how much I'd like the see the Grayson's vindicated for their choice of energy weapons on the Raoul Courvosier- and Jason Alverez-Class ships.

Action in Silesia could have all those ships that were left behind by Manticore's technological growing pains, like the Saganami-A's and -B's, and even the Benjamin the Greats. I don't the the Benjamins got broken down for scrap, but I could be wrong, and I won't mind seeing them in action, even if they would never be PoV.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Emo Otaku   » Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

Psyten wrote:Well, there is already a perfectly good plot point that doesn't require a falling out with the Andermani.

I think that the biggest problem the SLN (FF or BF) would have with operations in Silesia is that they do not have the organisation to operate in force for extened times that far away from support, they are designed around an extensive network of support bases (even in the Verge) and despite Crandall's "exercise" I don't believe that they could operate effectively that far from home.

The idea behind sending the fleet out Commerce raiding is probably a sound one, but I doubt the SLN would be able to carry it out (it will possibly be humorous when an entire SLN BC squadron has to surrender to a single LAC because they run out of Fuel 2 days after they arrive at their target).
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane
Post by fleadermouse   » Tue May 08, 2012 11:30 am

fleadermouse
Lieutenant Commander

You do not need a “major” conflict in these newly acquired territories just a good cast of characters and a few bad guys trying to do bad things on the local level. The commerce raiding / proxy wars funded by the SL would also ratchet things up nicely.

I have always enjoyed the smaller stories as they give you the chance for much deeper character development.
Post by darrell   » Tue May 08, 2012 11:42 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

Duckk wrote:The Talbott Quadrant has been getting LAC wings ever since the annexation was approved. It'd take a pretty hefty Frontier Fleet force to break through even a single wing of LACs, and that's not counting any system defense pods or mobile units which might also be available.

Any attack against Silesia is likely to be successfull only for the short term. (a year or so) I can see a small LAC base in each silesian planet with a couple squadrons (16) of LAC's to take care of pirates. (presumes that Haven will build LAC's for Mantiecore.) Incorporated into each planets orbital infrastructure would be a FTL control station for say three Mycroft platforms. Move 10% of Manticores apollo pods to silesia (250,000) and if Manticore took over 100 silesian worlds than that would be 2,500 each world, more than enough to take out a couple Manti SD's, (2.5 times an invectus pod load) a couple squadrons of Haven SD's (938 shipkillers each, 6 per pod) 50 League wallers. (300 shipkillers each) or 200 BC's. (75 shipkillers each)
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.

Return to Honorverse