Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 142 guests

Honerveres vs Trekies

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honerveres vs Trekies
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:53 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Emo Otaku wrote:
ST ships do have plenty of space on the brige for the transformation sequence (one of the laws of anime - A Magic Girls Power is proportional to the Number of Pirouettes in her transformation/attack)

OR if there are no Magic Girls available maybe the Federations can hire Lynn Minmay to sing the enemy into surrender

^_^
Post by dragonangel59   » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:29 am

dragonangel59
Midshipman

It's hard to determined who could be the winner of a conflict between Federation and Manties for some reasons.

1st, the low range of federation weapons with the best acceleration of this ship in impulsion. This acceleration nihilate to engage missile combat against their ships but they need to come very close of manties ship.

2nd, Federation use an FTL travel method that permit him to appear near of manties ship, but their weapon have short range and are very less powered than the manties. In close combat, federation ships would be exterminate in 1vs1 combat, only tricobalt missile or quantum torpedoes would be effective.

3rd, in compensation the Manties are unable to counter an offensive against infrastructure or world launch by federation.

Sorry if i make some mistake but i'm french and is not easy to find my faults myself ^^.
Post by pokermind   » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:17 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

dragonangel59 wrote:It's hard to determined who could be the winner of a conflict between Federation and Manties for some reasons.

1st, the low range of federation weapons with the best acceleration of this ship in impulsion. This acceleration nihilate to engage missile combat against their ships but they need to come very close of manties ship.

2nd, Federation use an FTL travel method that permit him to appear near of manties ship, but their weapon have short range and are very less powered than the manties. In close combat, federation ships would be exterminate in 1vs1 combat, only tricobalt missile or quantum torpedoes would be effective.

3rd, in compensation the Manties are unable to counter an offensive against infrastructure or world launch by federation.

Sorry if i make some mistake but i'm french and is not easy to find my faults myself ^^.

Bon Jur, Y'all,

If you remember the original Star Trek episode that introduced the Romulins, a takeoff of WW 2 submarine movie 'The Enemy Below,' the Enterprise could warp out of the way of their weapon, and thus the Federation could easily out run a Manticorian missile swarm with their 1967 tech. They would run circles around the Manties IMHO, but their weapons would have difficulty penetrating, and if they ran into a wedge, splat like a bug on a windshield.

Poker

PS I would murder the French language if I tried and, your English is much better than my French, mon ami.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:05 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

Okay... I hate to think about this...

Scotty, Shannon and Sonja in the same room...

Or worse... Honor and Kirk on the same Bridge!!

(this is why RFC doesn't like fanfic... which is why I won't post my version of "First Contact" with Manticore on this site.)

BTW, I think Shannon's "oops" could stop even the Borg. GO SHANNON!!!!!
Post by Hutch   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Just my two dirhams.

Something like this is really hard to argue, since:

1. The MWW does try to encompass physics in his books.

2. Star Trek acknowledges that physics exist, but then merrily ignores it in a cloud of babble-science.

3. Star Wars couldn't spell physics if you spotted them the 'p' and the 'h'.

So it's hard to compare universes when they don't play by the same rules.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

I agree, but Shannon would probably do it without any regard to physics whatsoever. If she did succeed, it would be an "oops!"
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:40 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

GofyTomcat1 wrote:Okay... I hate to think about this...

(this is why RFC doesn't like fanfic... which is why I won't post my version of "First Contact" with Manticore on this site.)

I imagine what would happen is Scotty would say something, Shannon and Sonja would look at him confused and one of them would say, "Did you EVER take a physics course?"

On the other hand, we did have a long discussion a while ago about who would win in a fight. It basically came down to whether or not a warp bubble was detectable by Honorverse FTL sensors. If yes, Honorverse by a long shot. If not, the Picard Maneuver would carry the day.
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:43 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

crewdude48 wrote:
GofyTomcat1 wrote:Okay... I hate to think about this...

I imagine what would happen is Scotty would say something, Shannon and Sonja would look at him confused and one of them would say, "Did you EVER take a physics course?"

On the other hand, we did have a long discussion a while ago about who would win in a fight. It basically came down to whether or not a warp bubble was detectable by Honorverse FTL sensors. If yes, Honorverse by a long shot. If not, the Picard Maneuver would carry the day.

I agree with all of this.
Post by GofyTomcat1   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:46 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

dragonangel59 wrote:It's hard to determined who could be the winner of a conflict between Federation and Manties for some reasons.

4th. HONOR FREAKING HARRINGTON!!
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:

OR, they would have marvellous fun while making miracles happen. :mrgreen:

crewdude48 wrote:On the other hand, we did have a long discussion a while ago about who would win in a fight. It basically came down to whether or not a warp bubble was detectable by Honorverse FTL sensors. If yes, Honorverse by a long shot. If not, the Picard Maneuver would carry the day.

Considering that a warp bubble IS by default and definition a very strong gravitic anomaly, i have to say that detection is 100% guaranteed.
In fact, part of the HH-verse stealth is very likely doing something close to the opposite of a warp bubble to reduce their gravitic signature. But a warp bubble will be like running around in a dark room using a flamethrower as a candle, even HH merchants with damaged sensors are going to see a ST ship under warp at a >100 AU.

Return to Honorverse