Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

Honerveres vs Trekies

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honerveres vs Trekies
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Picard, "Lock onto the Commodores, Captains and Admirals of those fleets and beam them aboard. Make it so."

"They are aboard Captain."

"Open hailing frequencies ... This is the USS Enterprise. We have your command structure onboard. Kill your engines. Our technology is superior. Let's have a few drinks. Besides, we are not your enemy. We are being tailed by the Borg. Save your missiles, you're going to need them. Oh, without our help. Resistance, is futile. Picard out."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:01 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Picard, "Lock onto the Commodores, Captains and Admirals of those fleets and beam them aboard. Make it so."

"Open hailing frequencies ... This is the USS Enterprise. We have your command structure onboard. Kill your engines. Our technology is superior. Let's have a few drinks. Besides, we are not your enemy. We are being tailed by the Borg. Save your missiles, you're going to need them. Oh, without our help. Resistance, is futile. Picard out."

And what evidence do we have that you can beam through a wedge? :mrgreen:
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:
Picard, "Lock onto the Commodores, Captains and Admirals of those fleets and beam them aboard. Make it so."

And what evidence do we have that you can beam through a wedge? :mrgreen:

:lol:
Don't you dare tangle with a Trekkie, bucko! I anticipated your response ...

It's the Enterprise. A ship full of Shannons and Sonjas and Harknesses. And a Betazoid, and a Data, and a Laforge.

Besides, have you forgotten that transporters only need a small window to beam through?

And if it's one of those occasions that that bothersome Q is aboard, then what chance has the Honorverse? Heck, Q is likely to place the entire Honorverse in a bottle. :lol:

Besides, the Treks have been there and done that. They've boldly gone where no Manty has gone before. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Picard, "Lock onto the Commodores, Captains and Admirals of those fleets and beam them aboard. Make it so."

fallsfromtrees wrote:And what evidence do we have that you can beam through a wedge? :mrgreen:
cthia wrote:
:lol:
Don't you dare tangle with a Trekkie, bucko! I anticipated your response ...

It's the Enterprise. A ship full of Shannons and Sonjas and Harknesses. And a Betazoid, and a Data.

Besides, have you forgotten that transporters only need a small window to beam through?

And if it's one of those occasions that that bothersome Q is aboard, then what chance has the Honorverse? Heck, Q is likely to place the entire Honorverse in a bottle. :lol:

Besides, the Treks have been there and done that. They've boldly gone where no Manty has gone before. :D

Well, unless you have a Burroughs shifter, the question will remain moot.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What I'd like to know, is how Honorverse battle armor will match up to the Borg.

Post by GofyTomcat1   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:56 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

Completely theoretical scenario:

Instead of the alternate reality, the Enterprise is pulled into the Honorverse.

How would Kirk's crew react, and how would Honor keep Nimitz under control when she sees Kirk?
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:Completely theoretical scenario:

How would Kirk's crew react, and how would Honor keep Nimitz under control when she sees Kirk?

Montgomery Scott would want to have a go at the engines, Kirk would want to drive, Uhura would be communicating with the cats, Sulu would spend his time in a pinnace. Honor would eat herself to death in ten-forward, and Nimitz would put the replicators in a full-time celery producing coma.

Oh my, what a thought. Can you imagine Spock and a treecat bonding. Spock with his mind meld?

Post by GofyTomcat1   » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm

GofyTomcat1
Commander

cthia wrote:
GofyTomcat1 wrote:Completely theoretical scenario:

Montgomery Scott would want to have a go at the engines, Kirk would want to drive, Uhura would be communicating with the cats, Sulu would spend his time in a pinnace. Honor would eat herself to death in ten-forward, and Nimitz would put the replicators in a full-time celery producing coma.

Oh my, what a thought. Can you imagine Spock and a treecat bonding. Spock with his mind meld?

Ten forward is on the Enterprise-D, not Kirk's. Still, you'd be right that Honor would be busy gorging herself.

I think the result of an attempted Kirk x Honor relationship would be similar to a Young x Honor one. (lots of pain and an upset 'cat.)

And Spock bonded with a Cat would render McCoy's arguments invalid, most likely.
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:06 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote: *Snip*

I think the result of an attempted Kirk x Honor relationship would be similar to a Young x Honor one. (lots of pain and an upset 'cat.)

I am reminded of a verse from the filk song "LAdies Night in Argo" regarding this meeting...

Our Captain went a'walking with a lady from Grayson;
He should have had known better than to mess with Harrington.
He wouldn't take her polite "no", so she pulled a little coup,
And left him face first in the street, with a dozen redshirts too.

:P :twisted: :D
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Belial666 wrote:Speed:
Fairly advanced Star Trek ships can move at roughly 1000 times the speed of light under warp drive. Higher speeds are possible but very rare for non-Borg humanoid civilizations. Non-hyperspace speed is limited to less than 0.5 c.
Honorverse ships can reach 3000 times the speed of light in hyper. Higher speeds are possible but very rare. Non-hyperspace speed is limited to 0.8 c.
Adv: Honorverse

Just to point out that Trekkie shuttles can accelerate at 1000+G they may have a slower terminal velocity but they can also turn on a dime even at warp speed somehow.

Firepower:
Typical Star Trek capital ships (i.e. Galaxy and Sovereign class for the Federation) have a dozen or so phaser arrays and can fire 3-4 quantum torpedoes at a time, at ranges up to 50-60 thousand kilometers for both systems. Energy levels per hit are on par with multimegaton warheads, consistent with ships less than half a kilometer in length.
Typical Honorverse capital ships have many dozens of energy mounts, with ranges of up to a million kilometers and can fire dozens to hundreds of missiles at a time at ranges up to millions of kilometers.

Defenses:
Star Trek ships use shaped energy shields that absorb energy and kinetic attacks. The shield is impenetrable for as long as it lasts - but each hit drops the shield's integrity until the shield collapses. Repeated energy weapon use burns through the shield and impacts at c-fractional velocities are a bad idea.
Star Trek ships only occasionally use point-defense due to energy combat being their primary method of fighting and their hulls are only a few hundred meters long at most, fairly thin and are studded with windows.
Honorverse ships use shaped gravity bands to form wedges and sidewalls. Wedges are impenetrable and very destructive to anything they touch. Sidewalls are impenetrable to physical attacks but sufficiently powerful energy weapons can penetrate them and deal damage beyond.
Honorverse ships use loads and loads of point-defense and massive armor - many are more than a kilometer long.

Communication:
Star Trek ships and civilizations in general are capable of FTL communication across entire clusters and capable of FTL sensors beyond just gravitic within the same star system.
Honorverse ships have very limited (in comparison) FTL ability and only their gravitic sensors are FTL.
Adv: Star Trek

Stealth:
Star Trek ships are capable of holograms, emission cloaking, visual cloaking and similar techniques.
Honorverse ships are capable of emission cloaking.

Numbers:
A dozen ships are a powerful force in Star Trek, a big deal. A major star nation can be expected to have only a few dozen to maybe a hundred capital ships in total. Also, they are expected to control dozens of systems but to have significant population centers and industry only in a few of them.
Honorverse armadas are made up of hundreds of ships. A major star nation can be expected to have thousands of ships in total, several hundred of which are capital ships. They are expected to control dozens of systems with populations in the billions, many of which are going to have significant industrial capacity.

During the battles with the Dominion there were frequently 1000's of ships taking part in the battles.

Shenanigans:
Star Trek has teleportation, time-travel, reality bending, gravity alteration and many other phenomena that occur in a semi-frequent basis but are not (and due to randomness and/or drawbacks and limitations generally can't be) part of their standard tactics and force availability. However, they still offer a way out - Star Trek conflicts are more often resolved via such des ex machina than military capabilities.
Honorverse has the gravity lance. And that's it - there usually isn't any sort of shenanigans weaker forces can happen upon or otherwise produce to win over more powerful opponents.

Return to Honorverse