Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests

You can never go home again?(the Warner Caslet thread)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
You can never go home again?(the Warner Caslet thread)
Post by Phalanx   » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Phalanx
Commander

Simple question.

Based on recent events, do you think Caslet has a chance to go back to Haven? Does he want to go back? If he went back, how would he be received?

My list of fave Haven characters goes like this:
1)Thomas Theisman
2)Warner Caslet
3)Lester Tourville
4)Victor Cachat
5)Kevin Usher

Now why is Caslet on the list? Not only because of his abilities as a commander, but also for his personality.

The scene in EoH where he is talking to his former commander-in-chief, a man who Warner thought was dead about the events that happened after the Harris assassination.Even though we knew what happened, the new perspective made it very intense to read.Especially when Caslet realized that he can never go home again.

But things have changed.

So can Warner go home?
_

Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

If I was him I'd want something in writing from the justice ministry/department before considering it. Even then, it would be not easy. You'll notice that most soviet defectors didn't move home again even after the collapse, I think many never even visited.
Re: You can never go home again?(the Warner Caslet thread)
Post by rafael   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 am

rafael
Captain of the List

From what I remember of EOH he knew that if he defected it would not matter who was in the gov. Having said that now that Grayson and Haven are allied that mite change.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

rafael wrote:From what I remember of EOH he knew that if he defected it would not matter who was in the gov. Having said that now that Grayson and Haven are allied that mite change.
Even if he can't (or even decides he doesn't want to) go back the situation has changed enough that I assume he could at least visit some of his old colleagues. You know, the minor insignificant people like Thomas Theisman or Shannon Foraker.
Post by Renegade13   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Renegade13
Commander

I'm sure that a part of him wants to go back, but I would be surprised if he went back for anything except to visit old friends and any family he has left.

He has made a new life, and I don't see him giving it up voluntarily. Just my opinion!
Post by john964   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 pm

john964
Commodore

kzt wrote:If I was him I'd want something in writing from the justice ministry/department before considering it. Even then, it would be not easy. You'll notice that most soviet defectors didn't move home again even after the collapse, I think many never even visited.

No, no communist defectors ever went back to there home countries to even visit. The only exception would be Germany because the DDR was compleatly replaced by the FDR. And most DDR defectors only went to the FDR. Even today there are still soviet defectors who are under death sentances.
Post by richardinor   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 pm

richardinor
Commander

A presidential pardon from Eloise Pritchart would take care of any legal problems. I think one is necessary for both Warner Caslet and Alfredo Yu. Otherwise it would be difficult for them to interact with RHN. It would be very difficult for them to attend meetings aboard Havenite ships if they were subject to arrest.
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

Warner Caslet would likely be delighted to go back an see the people he left behind in the Republic.

He's just not dumb enough to go without a Battlecruiser squadron.

Tourism and friendship are one thing.

Mucking about in the Republic without a flawless exit plan, quite another.
Post by TheMonster   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

richardinor wrote:A presidential pardon from Eloise Pritchart would take care of any legal problems. I think one is necessary for both Warner Caslet and Alfredo Yu. Otherwise it would be difficult for them to interact with RHN. It would be very difficult for them to attend meetings aboard Havenite ships if they were subject to arrest.
Although DW hasn't discussed it, I'm sure that, as well as vacating Honor's in absentia conviction for "war crimes", is part of the treaty approved by the Manticore Parliament and Haven Congress.

After all, Theisman would be considered guilty of treason against the Peep government. There have to be thousands of people who needed assurance that the restored Republic would not hold then to account for acts against the People's Republic government.
Post by Emo Otaku   » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:04 am

Emo Otaku
Captain of the List

The problem is Warner is a TRAITOR (even to the New government he defected to the enemy in time of war)

Evewn with a presidential Pardon promise of Immunity etc etc he will never be trusted in any position of authority in the Republic, the best he could hope for is to retire and write his memoirs.

However as a senior officer is the Protectors Own he has honour, prestige and what I thing would be most inportant to someone like Warner a useful role, where he can make a difference
~~~~~~

Sanity is merely the consensus of the Insane

Return to Honorverse