Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Will the Star Empire of Manticore eventually annex Mesa?"

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.

Will the Star Empire of Manticore annex Mesa?

Yes
14%
No
84%
Maybe
3%

Total votes : 37

Re: Will the Star Empire of Manticore eventually annex Mesa?
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

Daryl wrote:I'm not sure that Manticore would have much interest in a radioactive asteroid belt which may well be Mesa's future.

That would defy RMN General Order #103: Do not destroy real estate that can be take over and sold at auction unless absolutely necessary, and then, only destroy as much as is needed per tactical circumstances.

Prize money is not just ships...
Post by robert132   » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

I can't see Manticore annexing a cinder.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Charles83   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 am

Charles83
Rear Admiral

U remember the desciption of what Queen Elizabeth III wanted to do to the haven homeworld i think is pretty safe to say thats what Honor is going to do with mesa.
Post by richardinor   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:53 am

richardinor
Commander

SPOILER

At the book signing I attended last year, Mr. Weber stated that Manticore will occupy Mesa. He also described some of the interrogations of Mesans during the occupation. The occupation will not happen until at least 2 more books.
Post by savadrin   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:59 am

savadrin
Lieutenant Commander

richardinor wrote:SPOILER

At the book signing I attended last year, Mr. Weber stated that Manticore will occupy Mesa. He also described some of the interrogations of Mesans during the occupation. The occupation will not happen until at least 2 more books.

based on what we know from current books, i could easily see manticore occupying mesa for an interim period while they attempt to vivisect the solarian league. as for the original poster's idea, i can't see them annexing it permanently, unless a lot of other things happen first to give them easy wormhole junction access to the mesan system, like beowulf asking for acceptance into the empire, and torch going through a super boosted industrial revolution.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:33 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

With somebody like SEM in control of the orbital high ground around Mesa, and willing to take out major government nodes and military concentraions, it is quite possible that the slave and seccy population will turn the place into a bloodbath.

This is not Masada where the population is unified with it's religious convictions. With Masada SEM is primaily interested in not letting the population off planet to go kill Graysons. Mesa would resemble more France durring the Terror. Not a good place to try and be an occupying forign power.
Compaired to Mesa, Torch was a simple. The slaves killed dam near everybody who was not a slave and there was an acknowleged political leadership of sorts that the Torch slaves would listen too.
Post by waddles for desert   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:36 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

It is hard to imagine that a future former slave and seccie dominated Mesa would surrender its sovereignty even pro forma by offically subjugating itself to an empire.

Now, I do believe that they would accept membership in the commonwealth which the empire may eventually become if it gets written that way.

That could be another topic - Will DW preserve the empire in perpetuity to extoll the virtue of leadership by a family of enduring merit, or will it follow the meander of empires of the last few centuries?
Post by SYED   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

ALot will depend on the terminous systems.

Mesa likly arranged for the local systems to be unable to act as threat to them. How ever, the systems that mesa has influence on may be a long term issue, they may enjoy the status quo, so act to preserve it.

Visgoth is an independant system, with a long time history with mesa. it id in the league core, so possibly alot of pull. Also, there is likly to be alto of near by systems with some kind of military force.

Depending on the other terminouses, it will termine if it is valued enough/
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:With somebody like SEM in control of the orbital high ground around Mesa, and willing to take out major government nodes and military concentraions, it is quite possible that the slave and seccy population will turn the place into a bloodbath.

Manticore will have to import a LOT of cleaning bots...because that WILL leave a stain on EVERYTHING.
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

waddles for desert wrote:It is hard to imagine that a future former slave and seccie dominated Mesa would surrender its sovereignty even pro forma by offically subjugating itself to an empire.

Quite frankly, I can easily see the slave/seccie population coming to a very nice agreement with Manticore ro Haven, living as a protectorate for a while till it's got the opportunity to get it's feet under itself and make it's own way.

Besides, I don't think it's going to get the opportunity to object.

When the RMN comes knocking, blows the MSN out of the sky without a how-do-you-do, then drops a F-Ton of weapons from the sky with a bunch of Marines sticking out their tounges saying

"Hi! Former slave, now Royal Marine. Nice to meet you. Say...You look like a big sort. Can you handle a plasma carbine? It's really simple, just hold it like this...er, no, like this...yeah, and be aware this thing will incinerate you if you screw up...not comfortable with that...OK. Tribarrel carbine? Good. Yes. Here is a bandoleer of ammo. On your way, and don't come back with ammo...I have MORE!!!"

Well, when it's all over except mopping up - and I mean with a mop - the new Mesan government is going to sit down, and say "Ya know, I'm not hating the idea of being part of the empire. I mean, we have to review this and talk about it...and we are going to want independance sooner or later, but for now...I'm not disgusted with the idea of protectorate status with the Manticorian Empire..."

Return to Honorverse