Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 40 guests

Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What would an offspring of a Cachat/Palane union be like? A daughter who takes after her mother and father who has been taught to be an independent and assertive young woman?

Walking into the parlor and confronting mom and dad on turning 13...

Now listen up you two. It's high time we get it straight about who's really the boss around here!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What is the most famous riddle known throughout the Honorverse?

When Harrington riddled Young with bullets, of course!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:What is the most famous riddle known throughout the Honorverse?

Funny

But IIRC Honor only hit him twice in the heart Lt. Castalano blew his head off, when he hit with his pulser.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote:What is the most famous riddle known throughout the Honorverse?

Funny

But IIRC Honor only hit him twice in the heart Lt. Castalano blew his head off, when he hit with his pulser.

You're probably right saber, and Denver Summervale would have been a more accurate butt of that joke err riddle.

Actually, I thought the same thing as you, but I was thrown off by textev. Can you believe that? Textev itself led me a-stray (no pun planned) on this one. From the Highlands...

"But don't think the Peep propagandists didn't make hay while the sun was shining, Cathy. At least until Cordelia Ransom decided that there was more propaganda value in having Harrington 'executed.' " Anton scowled. "That whole stinking Pavel Young affair was plastered all over every media outlet in the Havenite empire, for weeks on end. Hell, they didn't even have to make anything up! The truth was stinking bad enough. A vile and cowardly aristocrat used his wealth and position to ruin an excellent officer's career. Even paying for the murder of her lover—and getting away with it until Harrington finally cornered him into a personal duel. And then, when she shot him in self-defense after he violated the dueling code, the Lords blamed her? Because she shot him too many times?"

Bold mine. -- cthia

At any rate, I meant to do some investigative rereading but never got around to it. Although, the dueling protocol the two were under may have only allowed one shot -- can't remember and forgot to check.

I'll change the butt if I ever use it again. ;)

Post by robert132   » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

[quote="cthia] ...

"But don't think the Peep propagandists didn't make hay while the sun was shining, Cathy. At least until Cordelia Ransom decided that there was more propaganda value in having Harrington 'executed.' " Anton scowled. "That whole stinking Pavel Young affair was plastered all over every media outlet in the Havenite empire, for weeks on end. Hell, they didn't even have to make anything up! The truth was stinking bad enough. A vile and cowardly aristocrat used his wealth and position to ruin an excellent officer's career. Even paying for the murder of her lover—and getting away with it until Harrington finally cornered him into a personal duel. And then, when she shot him in self-defense after he violated the dueling code, the Lords blamed her? Because she shot him too many times?"

...[/quote]Bold mine. -- cthia

At any rate, I meant to do some investigative rereading but never got around to it. Although, the dueling protocol the two were under may have only allowed one shot -- can't remember and forgot to check.

I'll change the butt if I ever use it again. ;)[/quote]

IIRC the kerfluffle in the Lords was the claim that she had "shot an UNARMED man." His magazine was empty before she got her first round away, hence "unarmed."

North Hollow was a dead man anyway because the Master of the Field also shot to kill with that buzzsaw pulser.

Both North Hollow and Harrington had full magazines but the rule North Hollow's Second insisted on was one shot only, then a check to see if both wanted a 2nd shot and so on IIRC.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by saber964   » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm

saber964
Admiral

robert132 wrote:[quote="cthia] ...

...[/quote]Bold mine. -- cthia

I'll change the butt if I ever use it again. ;)[/quote]

IIRC the kerfluffle in the Lords was the claim that she had "shot an UNARMED man." His magazine was empty before she got her first round away, hence "unarmed."

North Hollow was a dead man anyway because the Master of the Field also shot to kill with that buzzsaw pulser.

Both North Hollow and Harrington had full magazines but the rule North Hollow's Second insisted on was one shot only, then a check to see if both wanted a 2nd shot and so on IIRC.[/quote]

I always liked the Honor did in Summerville. Four shots to the abdomen and a final round blowing his brains out the back of his head.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:I always liked the Honor did in Summerville. Four shots to the abdomen and a final round blowing his brains out the back of his head.

That makes two of us saber, though I don't anticipate any disagreement from the audience.

Every time I think of that entire confrontation of Honor going up against Summervale, I cannot stop my mind from transposing the scene in "Tombstone" when Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) went up against the famously fast Johnny Ringo...

But first, to set it up.

"Come on Denver! Come on! Come on! Poor soul. He was just too high-strung."

Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Young's fatal error was in misidentifying the type of horse.

She wasn't a gawking horse. She was a Trojan horse.

Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some of the very early freighters were not lost due to navigational errors or anything of the kind...

Freighters carrying 5000 ppl? 5000 toilets flushing at the same time? Or enough to handle the figures given that would accommodate such an output (LOL), if freighters had enough toilets to accommodate 5000 people, the simultaneous flushing would cause an internal vacuum of pressure that would make the ship go boom.

And that's only considering normal use projections. If a stomach virus, food poisoning or anything related got loose and ran rampant causing an acute domino effect of epic diarrheic proportions would hit the turbine and clog it! Get us to a junction --- NOW!

"Captain, we have an emergency SOS squawking from that ship just emerging from the junction. And she's streaming atmosphere!"

"OMG, what's that smell! That ain't atmosphere she's streaming sir!"

Talk about being up schit's creek without a paddle. LOL

Reminds me of the deafening roar of the toilets at a stadium!

Post by robert132   » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Young's fatal error was in misidentifying the type of horse.

She wasn't a gawking horse. She was a Trojan horse.

Definitely NOT a gawking horse, more like a spirited Warhorse. A very pissed off spirited Warhorse with blood in her eye.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Honorverse