Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.
Post by Vince   » Sat May 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote:Dicey is one biiiig pussy. Methinks Dicey's eating the dog's food and the dog is too much of a pussy itself to do anything. Much blame him? That cat's in the RMN!

The treecat's missing link.

Dicey is one big kitty, IIRC he's 114 cm long plus IMHO he's a gray tabby also.

Dicey is a Maine Coon:
Storm From the Shadows, Chapter 9 wrote:Michelle accepted her beret from Master Steward Billingsley and started to turn towards the door and the waiting Admiralty air car when she paused suddenly.
"And what, Master Steward, might that be?" she asked.
"I beg the Admiral's pardon?" Billingsley said innocently. "What 'that' would the Admiral be referring to?"
"The Admiral would be referring to that 'that,' " Michelle replied, one forefinger indicating the broad, prick-eared head which had just poked itself exploringly around the corner of a door.
"Oh, that 'that'!"
"Precisely," Michelle said, folding her arms and regarding him ominously.
"That's a cat, Ma'am," Billingsley told her. "Not a treecat, a cat—an Old Earth cat. It's called a 'Maine Coon.' "
"I'm well aware of what an Old Earth cat looks like, Chris," Michelle said repressively, never unfolding her arms. "I don't believe I've ever seen one quite that large, but I do know what they are. What I don't know is what it's doing in my mother's townhouse."
Actually, the townhouse and its landscaped grounds belonged to Michelle now, not to her mother, but it was Caitrin Winton-Henke's home, even if Michelle did have most of a wing reserved for her private use whenever she was on Manticore.
"Well, actually, Ma'am, he's mine," Billingsley said with the air of someone making a clean breast of it.
"And just when did this monumental change in your status as a parent take place?" Michelle inquired just a bit acidly as the rest of the impressively large feline ambled into the foyer.
"Day before yesterday," Billingsley said. "I . . . found him wandering around over near the Master Chiefs' Club. He looked like he needed a home, and he walked right up to me, and I couldn't just leave him there, Ma'am!"
"I see," Michelle said, looking into his guilelessly wide and innocent eyes. "And would it happen that this hulking menace to all mice, hamsters, chipmunks, and unwary small children has a name?"
"Yes, Ma'am. I call him 'Dicey.' "
" 'Dicey,' " Michelle replied with long-suffering resignation. "Of course."
Billingsley continued to look as if butter would not melt in his mouth, but the name was a dead giveaway of how his new pet had really come into his possession, Michelle thought, looking at the enormous cat. It was the first terrestrial cat she'd ever seen who looked like he probably came close to matching Nimitz's mass. Not only that, but 'Dicey' was a good twenty centimeters shorter overall than Nimitz, and although he was definitely a long hair, he was nowhere near as fluffy as a treecat, which made him substantially bulkier. One ear had a notch that looked like someone else had taken a bite out of it, and a scar across the back of his burly neck left a visible furrow in his fur. There were a couple of more of those on the left side of his face, as well, she noticed. Obviously, he'd been to the wars, yet there was something about him that reminded her irresistibly of Billingsley himself, now that she thought about it. A certain endearing disreputability, perhaps.
She glanced at her new flag lieutenant, who was observing the entire scene with a laudably professional and serene expression. There was, however, a certain almost subliminal twinkle in Lieutenant Archer's green eyes. One that boded ill, she decided. Clearly "Gwen" was already succumbing to Billingsley's incorrigible charm.
Much like a certain admiral you know, perhaps? she reflected.
"You do realize how many regulations there are against having a pet on board one of her Majesty's starships?" she inquired out loud after a moment.
"Regulations, Ma'am?" Billingsley repeated blankly, as if he'd never heard the word before.
Michelle started to open her mouth again, then gave up. A wise woman knew when to cut her losses, and she didn't begin to have the time it would take to make a dent in Billingsley's bland innocence. Besides, she didn't have the heart for it.
"As long as you understand that I'm not going to put any pressure on anyone to allow you to bring that beast along on our next deployment," she said, trying womanfully to sound firm.
"Oh, yes, Ma'am. I understand that," Billingsley assured her without a trace of triumph.
Italics are the author's.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some things you really shouldn't read while eating. Email from my niece...

"Give all of the captured Solly ships to the Stilthies, they can get high in them. It worked for the Sollies."

Which led to bantering back and forth with her. A funny, quick witted little princess...

"That really is hilarious honey, the Stilthies were getting soooo high."

"Not only that Uncle. They were getting so high they were hallucinating. Same as the Sollies."

" :lol: "

My niece...

How do you increase Solly SD compensator efficiency?

Retard retardation.

How many Solly SDs does it take to return home from a mission?

Several hundred to be destroyed. Several hundred to be captured and one smart enough to have feigned sadness from engine problems before completing the trip.

"Aww, I'm sorry, but it seems we can't continue on with this mission."

She's on a roll. I try to jump in...

"The problem with their Scientist class is that their scientists never actually attended any class. So maybe that's a sure way to increase compensator efficiency. Fire the scientists."

She fires back...

"I doubt that they really wanted to increase efficiency. Why be in a hurry to meet your doom?"

I am ROTF.

Last edited by cthia on Sat May 27, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

THE MANTICORE TIMES

No one wants to capture Solly ships anymore. There's no prize payout; they are simply not prizes.

In fact, the Exchequr is threatening to actually charge anyone else responsible for capturing any of them. The Exchequr is so upset that they are trying to make it retroactive so they can relieve Honor of some of her fortune.

Greenspace, a subsidiary of Greenpeace, is concentrating its recent efforts into their Lobbying-Against-Littering initiative in protest of capturing worthless Solly junk.

When suggested to them that the cost of the much needed missiles to destroy them would have been significantly higher they refused to swallow. Citing the enormous, endless time and resources wasted in trying to figure out what to do with them.

Greenspace is trying to subpoena certain financial records but the government is trumping the request. They are presumed to be delaying compliance until piles of records that show that 50 % of the current military budget is wasted on "The Solly Junk Conundrum." We have it from a trusted and verified source that those files are being destroyed. A time consuming effort in itself. A mountainous pile of evidence has to be sifted sorted and destroyed.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 23, 2017 11:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Now my niece has "done gone and gotten" me all fired up.

Capturing Solly junk is like capturing an unknown sea creature...

"Hey, look at this. We've captured ourselves a... a... a... :? "

Post by cthia   » Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Now my niece has "done gone and gotten" me all fired up.

Capturing Solly junk is like capturing an unknown sea creature...

"Hey, look at this. We've captured ourselves a... a... a... :? "

"Crime against nature."

Post by ncwolf   » Tue May 23, 2017 8:57 pm

ncwolf
Commander

As anyone else heard of Encyclopedia Brown or has my memory played a trick on me?
Post by saber964   » Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 pm

saber964
Admiral

ncwolf wrote:As anyone else heard of Encyclopedia Brown or has my memory played a trick on me?

Yep, used to read the stories as a kid. You can still find them in book stores. Also loved Alfred Hitchcock's The Three investigators series.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue May 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ncwolf wrote:As anyone else heard of Encyclopedia Brown or has my memory played a trick on me?

Wrong thread, wrong forum. But...

There are 28 books in the Encyckopedia Brown series; the latest is from Sep 2013
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ncwolf   » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 pm

ncwolf
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:

Wrong thread, wrong forum. But...

There are 28 books in the Encyckopedia Brown series; the latest is from Sep 2013

If the court will allow a short recess, I believe that I can demonstrate the relavence.

(Well, if I had Paul Drake to track down my E. Brown collection, I would razz y'all for not recognizing my "even more so powder" reference---assuming that is an Encyclopedia Brown reference.)
Post by cthia   » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One day at the Breakers.

"Why has that acquisition of captured SLN ships been sitting there so long?"

"We don't know what to do with them sir?"

"What do you mean? Break them!"

"Well, that's just it sir. They're already broken! All of them!"

Return to Honorverse