Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 59 guests

Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Humor or lack thereof.
Post by pokermind   » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Chief,I've been posting stuff from Facebook lately, saw this from a Frenchman on Taylor Anderson's site:
By the way in French “face” is pronounced “fesse” with some unfortunate consequences as it means “ass”. “book” sounds like “bouc” which is “male goat”). So facebook is “goat’s ass”.

Mange, <So when you ask about Facebook in France you might get funny looks.>

Poker & Mange
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The Torch Navy would have a hard time convincing anyone of its having any modicum of attachment to reality if it were to name any of its ships the TNS Torch.

It'd be like painting a bullseye on its back. It would garner more paranoia than walking under a ladder. Crew would fear it more than the old wet days of pirate ships with a female berth.

Even if it didn't render the good fight, if it burned like hell after being hit with an attack, you'd almost have to praise and reuse its designation, for living up to its namesake.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The Torch Navy would have a hard time convincing anyone of its having any modicum of attachment to reality if it were to name any of its ships the TNS Torch.

It'd be like painting a bullseye on its back. It would garner more paranoia than walking under a ladder. Crew would fear it more than the old wet days of pirate ships with a female berth.

Even if it didn't render the good fight, if it burned like hell after being hit with an attack, you'd almost have to praise and reuse its designation, for living up to its namesake.

Apparently I spoke too soon. In Shadow of Saganami a freighter is named Plasma Stream? :o

"Captain, we hit her real good! RMMS Plasma Stream is streaming atmosphere and... it looks like... plasma, sir."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:The Torch Navy would have a hard time convincing anyone of its having any modicum of attachment to reality if it were to name any of its ships the TNS Torch.

Apparently I spoke too soon. In Shadow of Saganami a freighter is named Plasma Stream? :o

"Captain, we hit her real good! RMMS Plasma Stream is streaming atmosphere and... it looks like... plasma, sir."

Well it's probably better than the British Navy during WWII. Can you imagine the sniggering that went on in NYC and Philly when the captains of RN Flower class corvettes were piped on and off there ships or when several were piped aboard at the same time. Daffodil ... arriving, Daisy ... arriving, Lilly ... arriving, Rose ... arriving, Marigold ... arriving, Iris .. arriving.
Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Chief, "An interesting cartoon from Facebook on why the Navy does not allow fraternization between officers and enlisted."

Mange, <Misur the goat's ass strikes again."

Poker & Mange
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

saber964 wrote:Well it's probably better than the British Navy during WWII. Can you imagine the sniggering that went on in NYC and Philly when the captains of RN Flower class corvettes were piped on and off there ships or when several were piped aboard at the same time. Daffodil ... arriving, Daisy ... arriving, Lilly ... arriving, Rose ... arriving, Marigold ... arriving, Iris .. arriving.

:lol:

Hilarious. I wasn't aware there was a Flower class. What's funny are all of the budding jokes I'm choking back. I ain't even gonna go there! :lol:

Thanks, a buncha flowers, for the info.

Post by Louis R   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I'm afraid that that particular practice is an American aberration. The RN - and the RCN, etc. - didn't waste people's time with useless announcements.

Nor would Karl Doenitz and his lads share your amusement.

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:Well it's probably better than the British Navy during WWII. Can you imagine the sniggering that went on in NYC and Philly when the captains of RN Flower class corvettes were piped on and off there ships or when several were piped aboard at the same time. Daffodil ... arriving, Daisy ... arriving, Lilly ... arriving, Rose ... arriving, Marigold ... arriving, Iris .. arriving.

Hilarious. I wasn't aware there was a Flower class. What's funny are all of the budding jokes I'm choking back. I ain't even gonna go there! :lol:

Post by saber964   » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:27 pm

saber964
Admiral

Louis R wrote:I'm afraid that that particular practice is an American aberration. The RN - and the RCN, etc. - didn't waste people's time with useless announcements.

Nor would Karl Doenitz and his lads share your amusement.

cthia"
[quote="saber964 wrote:
Well it's probably better than the British Navy during WWII. Can you imagine the sniggering that went on in NYC and Philly when the captains of RN Flower class corvettes were piped on and off there ships or when several were piped aboard at the same time. Daffodil ... arriving, Daisy ... arriving, Lilly ... arriving, Rose ... arriving, Marigold ... arriving, Iris .. arriving.

[/quote]
The USN got the practice from the RN. It is SOP honorific to pipe or bong CO's on and off the ship. I have personally seen it done by the JMSDF, RAN, RNZN and RN. The practice dates all the way back to the age of sail.
Post by stewart   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:55 am

stewart
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:quote="Louis R"]
[/quote]
The USN got the practice from the RN. It is SOP honorific to pipe or bong CO's on and off the ship. I have personally seen it done by the JMSDF, RAN, RNZN and RN. The practice dates all the way back to the age of sail.[/quote]

------------

Side note --

In Bremerton NSY, when the CO of CGN9 came aboard CVN65, a southerner was the Boson's Mate of the Watch.
What we heard sounded like "Long Bi*ch, Arriving"

-- Stewart
Post by saber964   » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

stewart wrote:
saber964 wrote:quote="Louis R"]

The USN got the practice from the RN. It is SOP honorific to pipe or bong CO's on and off the ship. I have personally seen it done by the JMSDF, RAN, RNZN and RN. The practice dates all the way back to the age of sail.[/quote]

------------

Side note --

In Bremerton NSY, when the CO of CGN9 came aboard CVN65, a southerner was the Boson's Mate of the Watch.
What we heard sounded like "Long Bi*ch, Arriving"

-- Stewart[/quote]
Try the HMNS Zunderkis

Return to Honorverse