Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

OK, You are a Battle Fleet Admiral....

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OK, You are a Battle Fleet Admiral....
Post by seahorse1   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:22 pm

seahorse1
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:...and for the last 40 years it's been a great job.

I mean, you're highly respected, get to wear neat uniforms, live a great life (hot and cold running mistresses) and your connections back at headquarter keep the graft money plentiful.

Sure, you've only run two actual exercises in the past 5 years and if you really looked, you'd see your crews' efficiency is about 40% of 'book standard', but nobody is going to bother the Invincible Solarian League Navy.....

Then you hear about Byng, and dismiss it as the man was an idiot and it was only FF battlecruisers after all. Then you hear about Crandall, and while your opinion of her isn't much higher, the surrender of a Battle Fleet unit that size and the reports of Manticore "superweapons" has you more than a little nervous.

THEN you hear about Filareta and the sweat really starts; that was 25% of the active BF--gone just like that. And Manticore and those Haven folks seem to be sounding ever so aggressive....

Then you get orders to take your 128 SD's with supporting units to attack some place named Grayson. All you know is that they are some type of religious fanatics, that they have been allied with Manticore for a couple of decades, and Naval Intelligence says that their infrastructure has been destroyed and they don't have more than maybe 40-50 wallers.....which, if they are the equals of those that destroyed Filareta, gives you no great comfort.

So, Admiral, what do you do?

Resign and retire with my Swiss bank accounts full of graft money and start a new business. Something where I could steal some SDs from the SLN and setup shop as a feudal warlord, like what's his name Anderman.
Post by phillies   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:24 am

phillies
Rear Admiral

You carried out an attack on the specified location. You wiped out their Delta band facilities. Can you help it that the primitive Graysons have no base facilities in the delta band that you just raided?

Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:Wimps, I would execute a perfect attack on the planet Greyson and return victoriously. All without a single loss.

So.

You are going to lie, like me...
Post by solbergb   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 pm

solbergb
Admiral

I'm now imagining Masada blown to flinders with the SLN thinking it was Greyson (or PRETENDING to think it was Greyson) :)

Maybe even honestly.

I think there isn't anything bigger than BCs there, and probably not the MK16 or BC(P) style.

But if I'm wrong, that plan might backfire.
Post by Subaltern0   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Subaltern0
Lieutenant Commander

solbergb wrote:I'm now imagining Masada blown to flinders with the SLN thinking it was Greyson (or PRETENDING to think it was Greyson) :)

Maybe even honestly.

I think there isn't anything bigger than BCs there, and probably not the MK16 or BC(P) style.

But if I'm wrong, that plan might backfire.

Well on the bright side it could not back fire any worse than the last three SLN Brilliant Plans (Patent Pending)
\

I try and keep a reality stick handy, in case of emergency break glass and hit me with it**

**can also be used in case of boredom
Post by phillies   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:05 pm

phillies
Rear Admiral

On a more serious note, you start firing missiles at extreme range. They are targeted to get above the kilt, way away from the enemy, and detonate. Your pious hope is that you can damage enemy pods or make him waste antimissiles to stop you.
Post by npadln   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:42 pm

npadln
Commander

Cheopis wrote:First, I go on a real information hunt. Learn as much about Grayson as I can.

And maybe seek out the the resident ex patriot and member of the former Haven Legislaturist oligarch, Admiral Parnell. He will at least warn them that Grayson is also called home by the most formidable of warriors, one Admiral Honor Harington.
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

npadln wrote:
Cheopis wrote:First, I go on a real information hunt. Learn as much about Grayson as I can.

And maybe seek out the the resident ex patriot and member of the former Haven Legislaturist oligarch, Admiral Parnell. He will at least warn them that Grayson is also called home by the most formidable of warriors, one Admiral Honor Harington.

Isn't she the Neobarb admiral that they "Misplaced" a while ago?
Post by pokermind   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:53 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
npadln wrote: ... seek out the the resident ex patriot and member of the former Haven Legislaturist oligarch, Admiral Parnell. He will at least warn them that Grayson is also called home by the most formidable of warriors, one Admiral Honor Harington.

Two thumbs up the perfect probable arrogant Solie response. CPO Poker Mind.
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Mitchell, Esq.   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 am

Mitchell, Esq.
Commodore

pokermind wrote:
Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
npadln wrote: ... seek out the the resident ex patriot and member of the former Haven Legislaturist oligarch, Admiral Parnell. He will at least warn them that Grayson is also called home by the most formidable of warriors, one Admiral Honor Harington.

Two thumbs up the perfect probable arrogant Solie response. CPO Poker Mind.

Harrington...

"She's alive...she's dead...oops, she's alive again...Can these people keep anything straight? I mean, she's supposed to be a Flag Officer, and they misplaced her? And the Havenites - She's a menace! We got her! Wait, no, we didn't...

We are supposed to be afraid of these people?"
Post by Eagleeye   » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Eagleeye
Captain (Junior Grade)

Mitchell, Esq. wrote:Harrington...

"She's alive...she's dead...oops, she's alive again...Can these people keep anything straight? I mean, she's supposed to be a Flag Officer, and they misplaced her? And the Havenites - She's a menace! We got her! Wait, no, we didn't...

We are supposed to be afraid of these people?"

Yes, you do. These people, as you are so free to call them, may have problems to keep straight the jackets of their personal; but they have absolutely no problems to remember themselves where they find their missiles and what to do with them. Ask Admiral Joseph Byng, or Admiral Sandra Crandall, if you don't believe me ... :p

Return to Honorverse