Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 119 guests

Beowulf and the Empire

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.

Could Beowulf become a member of the Star Empire of Manticore

Yes
35%
No
38%
Maybe
27%

Total votes : 55

Beowulf and the Empire
Post by Jay6722   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Jay6722
Commander

I want to know how many people think that Beowulf will join the empire. My vote is maybe They do have a strong relationship with Manticore.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Re: Beowulf and the Empire
Post by Sheriff Yoda   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Sheriff Yoda
Captain of the List

Jay6722 wrote:I want to know how many people think that Beowulf will join the empire. My vote is maybe They do have a strong relationship with Manticore.

There's no doubt that they have a strong relationship with Manticore, but I don't think it is close enough for a political union such as what the Talbot Cluster sought. They will be very close allies, but nothing more.
Post by waddles for desert   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

Join in association with in a new structure like a league or a confederacy - yes.

Join the empire - no.
Post by Hajil   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Hajil
Rear Admiral

I wonder. If SKM and Beowulf are so close, and if Beowulf had SDF with SDs, why hadn't they go on "extendend manouvers" to manticore space? I's like to see legislaturists trying to attck SKM with 50+ SLN (SDF admittedly, but still SLN) wallers in the system.

Just some random ramblings.
Post by fester   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm

fester
Captain of the List

Jay6722 wrote:I want to know how many people think that Beowulf will join the empire. My vote is maybe They do have a strong relationship with Manticore.

Why is my basic question?

Beowulf if wealthy, powerful, technologically advanced and pretty damn secure as an independent polity.

What is the benefit to Beowulf to joining a much larger polity where there is both a massive population differential, a significant cultural differential (most pronounced in the Empire but still real in the old SKM), massive non-syncronized economic issues (the Manticoran Imperial economy will have significant Eurozone issues as it is not an optimal currency area and the central government by the MWW's design is most likely not willing enough to use its strength to force the Empire to become an optimal currency area) and a whole host of ancillary foreign policy issues that don't impact core Beowulfian interests.

Instead, a close partnership and intelligence sharing on a daily basis and operational partnerships on recurring shared interests makes a whole lot more sense for Beowulf's future relationship with the SEM.
Post by charlie   » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 pm

charlie
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Assuming the SL starts fragmenting as MA plans then I would expect to see Beowulf and Maya declaring their independence and each allying with SEM, Haven, Andermani, Grayson, and the other minor players from the old Manticoran alliance against Haven.

The need to form alliances is obvious, both for economic and military reasons. however,I think Beowulf and Maya will each prefer to stay independent once they break away from the league. Each will bring a good economic, technical and manufacturing base to the alliance, and will be good partners.

On the other side there will eleven or more planets forming the Messan alliance. They should have all the MAN tech that pulled off oyster bay, and streak drive.

What I can't wait to see is what happens with the ensuing arms race. Manticor's missile tech will give them a head start but it's not gonna be enough to carry the day.
Post by Bergie   » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Bergie
Lieutenant Commander

Beowulf is Earth's oldest colony (or one of them), and has VERY entrenched culture. The SKM/SEM is younger, but with its own VERY entrenched govenment and systems and culture. Allies like Grayson, yes. Members of the Empire, no.
Post by Jay6722   » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Jay6722
Commander

So far it looks like most people think that Beowulf and Manticore will have a relationship like the relationship Manticore has with Grayson.
He Who Lurks Above [CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Post by Montrose Toast   » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Montrose Toast
Commodore

Jay6722 wrote:So far it looks like most people think that Beowulf and Manticore will have a relationship like the relationship Manticore has with Grayson.

I voted maybe. It would take a major event. I figure a 5 percent chance of union and 90 percent chance of alliance...
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Yes, but not as the SEm. i forsee a proper grand alliance with a real name, like Nato. all good allies that work to defend each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I may be a stinker, but I am a MANTICORAN stinker!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse