Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV role?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV rol
Post by WMEC-907   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:06 pm

WMEC-907
Ensign

I've never been able to figure my favorite actress for Honor. Jolie always struck me as a bit...off for the part. But Doc Tam for Cachat would be great! Another Firefly alum, the guy who played Jayne (He's on Chuck, something-Baldwin?), would be hysterical as Harkness. They would HAVE to write in a brawl...

Emma Watson for Abigail Hearns might work. I seem to remember one of the books mentioning Abigail's hair being very nice and I've always liked Emma's. (Hey, I'm a bald guy, I fixate on hair.) And I think Josh Duhamel from Transformers could be great as Alistair McKeon. (Damn. I just realized I like his hair, too.)

And, I might be way off, but does anyone else think Patrick Stewart could do Oscar Saint Just scary-good?
"The sea doesn't care about you..."
Post by jthoma8318   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:18 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

solbergb wrote:I usually don't have much of an opinion for Honor, as I think she'd be best played by an unknown actress, similar to the approach in the Harry Potterverse.

Cachat however - my wife and I have been watching the third season of "Chuck" and the spy "Shaw" is pretty much exactly how we picture him.

He's got the dark hair/brown eyes/youthful look, is not a big man but is pretty impressive with his shirt off and he is a total manipulative, cold bastard in the show, doing a number of things that are quite similar to what Cachat does in the books. Just as an example he fakes his death in his first appearance by ACTUALLY shooting himself in the chest before the bad guy arrived (and taking a pill to slow his metabolism), making it look like the other person in the room did the deed.

Presumably he's so damn good he made sure the bullet wouldn't hit anything vital...

He's also got a very well hidden emotional side and the actor does that very well too.

OOO OOO, OOO OOO (Horshack impression, yes dating myself) How about the guy from Burn Notice for Cachet and his girlfriend for Ginny
Post by jthoma8318   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

WMEC-907 wrote:I've never been able to figure my favorite actress for Honor. Jolie always struck me as a bit...off for the part. But Doc Tam for Cachat would be great! Another Firefly alum, the guy who played Jayne (He's on Chuck, something-Baldwin?), would be hysterical as Harkness. They would HAVE to write in a brawl...

Emma Watson for Abigail Hearns might work. I seem to remember one of the books mentioning Abigail's hair being very nice and I've always liked Emma's. (Hey, I'm a bald guy, I fixate on hair.) And I think Josh Duhamel from Transformers could be great as Alistair McKeon. (Damn. I just realized I like his hair, too.)

And, I might be way off, but does anyone else think Patrick Stewart could do Oscar Saint Just scary-good?

Patrick Stewart would ROCK as St Just.
Post by Beatrice   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Beatrice
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Bohica wrote:I never said she would or should do this role in any possible Movie/TV role.

All I ever meant was, that while reading one of the books, she is who "I" see when I visualize Honor Harrington, mostly based off that "Franky" Cook character.

Maybe a better title for this thread would be "Who do you visualize as Honor Harrington, etc?"

I totally and absolutely agree with you. When I saw "Sky Captain" several years ago, the first thing I thought was "someone brought Honor Harrington to life".

Also, my post didn't reply to you. It replied to Nightfox :-)
Post by Beatrice   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Beatrice
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

rdt wrote: want to involve themselves with Hollywood I will never know. Sell the rights, take the money and run like hell. If anyone asks later, just say "Did you see my name in the credits?" Keep saying "movies and TV are NOT books" over and over. Hollywood will make what the producers want, not what the novelist wants. Unless you are JK Rowling aka Ms. MegaClout.

Agreed. I can't remember who, but there's an author who has sold the rights to various books, but who totally disassociates himself from the resulting product. He says that when people say to him "look what they did to your book!" he responds "they didn't do anything to my book - it's all still here exactly as I wrote it". He basically takes the money and runs.

I also think that it's sometimes a bad idea for an author to reveal who he or she sees as the perfect casting choice. When Raymond Feist first mentioned that his basis for Prince Arutha was Daniel Day Lewis a la "Last of the Mohicans" I completely lost my affection for the character. It was around the time where Day Lewis dumped his pregnant wife for another woman by fax, and was basically earning himself a reputation as a complete shit, and that stuck really badly.
Post by Cheopis   » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 am

Cheopis
Vice Admiral

WMEC-907 wrote:I've never been able to figure my favorite actress for Honor. Jolie always struck me as a bit...off for the part. But Doc Tam for Cachat would be great! Another Firefly alum, the guy who played Jayne (He's on Chuck, something-Baldwin?), would be hysterical as Harkness. They would HAVE to write in a brawl...

Patrick Stewart could, honestly, pull off just about any role that even comes close to fitting him. I could see him as Parnell, Yu, White Haven, or any number of mental/social roles. I bet he would do a great Protector Benjamin once Benjamin gets some years on him.

Not so much a physical or rough role though. Stewart might do credit to a moderately physical role, but he just doesn't have the carriage for a physical "hero" role.
Post by Bohica   » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 am

Bohica
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Beatrice wrote:When I saw "Sky Captain" several years ago, the first thing I thought was "someone brought Honor Harrington to life".

BINGO!

I've been reading the Honor Harrington books almost as soon as they have been released. Once I read "On Basilisk Station," I knew I had to read any more books with this character. I kept up with them for the first 7-8, but lost track when I quit driving over the road.

I eventually got to the point again where I could get caught up again. I only saw "Sky Captain" a few years ago. Well, actually, I caught a short piece of a movie that someone was watching at the time (with the volume turned down). Not even knowing the name of the movie I was watching, I saw that part (the flying airfield) of it.

I thought it was an "Honor Harrington" movie at first, just based on what I saw on the screen. Of course, that only lasted until I got someone to turn up the volume again, but it kind of stuck in my mind.
Post by dscott8   » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 am

dscott8
Commodore

WMEC-907 wrote:Emma Watson for Abigail Hearns might work. I seem to remember one of the books mentioning Abigail's hair being very nice and I've always liked Emma's. (Hey, I'm a bald guy, I fixate on hair.)

Emma cut her hair, break out the wigs:

Post by solbergb   » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

solbergb
Admiral

jthoma8318 wrote:OOO OOO, OOO OOO (Horshack impression, yes dating myself) How about the guy from Burn Notice for Cachet and his girlfriend for Ginny

The burn notice guy isn't horrible, but he's too mature-looking. He's also the wrong physical type although his coloring is ok.

The girlfriend not at all. She's skinny and athletic, Ginny is small and rounded. Ginny is actually a type that Hollywood doesn't usually cast. She's a more common type in the asian film scene.
Post by john964   » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

john964
Commodore

Here is a new one for Honor, How about Grace Park fro HI 5 O.

Return to Honorverse