Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny and 59 guests

Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV role?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV rol
Post by Beatrice   » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Beatrice
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

She is too old, and does not have Asian ancestry, but I think Rosamund Pike has something to her.

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2002_Di ... ay_010.jpg

From as soon as their characters were introduced, I have had the following casting choices stuck permanently in my head :

Pavel Young = Jonathan Frakes
Stefan Young = Oded Fehr
Edwin Young = Tim Curry

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/i ... 9_5808.jpg
http://image.qpicture.com/image/o/artis ... 175164.jpg
http://images.uncyc.org/commons/e/ec/TimCurry.JPG

I know that they probably don't match very well, especially at their current ages. I just got stuck on the recurring theme of the dark hair and beard.

I've always thought of Queen Elizabeth looking like Angela Bassett :

http://images.broadwayworld.com/photoop ... 406-vi.jpg

Probably too old, and not dark-skinned enough, but I think she has a very regal bearing.
Post by jthoma8318   » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

I disagree for the need of a teenager, so what about orolong. No I don't think you would want someone in her 40's playing HH, but early twenties would do. Nobody will take the movie/TV show serious if you have a teenager playing someone who IS in their 40's. I just watched Final Fantasy Spirit Within. I think you could do an animated series like that and have it taken seriously by the general public. The animation is almost as good as Avatar, and these movies were straight to DVD, not theatrical releases. The price of CG animation will, like all technology, fall rapidly as it becomes widely used. So you could maybe take the facial features of a particular star, like the Japanese protege of the Japanese mafia boss (Sorry can't recall the real name for the mob over there) in Kill Bill. But other that Nimitz, CG is only needed for the naval battle scenes. Babylon 5 did a credible job with that years ago on a shoe string budget. I mean they were on the CW and TNT. Look at how well the Stargate series on Sci-Fi channel is done. Perfect worl would be to find an Amerasian woman in her 20's that is tall, lithe and athletic, but seldom are things perfect. DW has said if the actress was capable of capturing the essence of HH and be able to pull of the Swan from Duckling transformation, he would be willing to forgo the exact ethnicity of the actress matching.
BTW I agree Hale Berry would make an EXCELENT Queen. As for Mike, the actress from Goldmember comes to mind.

Nightfox wrote:
Bohica wrote:
Nightfox wrote:Angelina Jolie will never be Honor Harrington. David has stated many years ago that she will never be Honor, I believe it is even to be included in the contract for any production of Honor Harrington on the big or small screen.

It's a long explanation for why, and it pretty much one of those "Kill this thread now" things when she gets mentioned.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but try to understand this:

A) Not everyone knows/knew the information stated above.

B) I am NOT casting people for the role, and I'm pretty sure you are not either.

C) I simply stated who I personally felt could do the role justice (hypothetically), and asked that others state their choices. I never stated nor implied that she was the only one who could do it.

If, in fact, David does not like her or has some kind of problem with her, well, that doesn't mean others cannot have opinions of their own, even if they don't match his choice.

Sorry if I came across a bit overly harsh on the reply to that one. I was trying to be informative as opposed denigrating. It happens to be a topic that has been brought up a lot on other locations, which are not here, much to the displeasure of Weber.

That being said, she is also getting a bit long in the tooth to be playing Honor. Especially considering that if we want to start with OBS we need a late Teenager for the role (thank you prolong), which would also make the networks happy as they could cast to a younger audience. She would actually be the right age (but not size) To play Allison.

ps. My personal thought on the matter has always been "Dang, we can't use or suggest her as she would be perfect in the role."

again, sorry about being so quick to shoot it down.

Nightfox
Post by Beatrice   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 am

Beatrice
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Nightfox wrote:Angelina Jolie will never be Honor Harrington. David has stated many years ago that she will never be Honor, I believe it is even to be included in the contract for any production of Honor Harrington on the big or small screen.

Angelina Jolie isn't exactly begging for acting jobs. I think for her to be even remotely interested, the production would have to be an uber budget, summer blockbuster movie, and I don't see that happening. She's one of the highest paid actresses in the world, and I doubt she's going to lower herself to HBO sci-fi mini-series work any time soon.

And I am familiar with the reason why Weber dislikes Jolie so much. I have a great deal of sympathy for the situation, but his ongoing antipathy towards her strikes me as a little bit childish.

My opinion only. YMMV.
Post by dscott8   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:59 am

dscott8
Commodore

[/quote]

Only problem with that is that Sean Maher is quite tall and Victor Cachat is... not.[/quote]

He is 5 feet 10 inches tall according to IMDB, not short but not exactly a giant. A director could work with that -- after all, in Alan Ladd's movies, they often stood him on a box or dug holes for his leading ladies to stand in, 'cause he was so short.
Post by john964   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 pm

john964
Commodore

dscott8 wrote:

Only problem with that is that Sean Maher is quite tall and Victor Cachat is... not.[/quote]

He is 5 feet 10 inches tall according to IMDB, not short but not exactly a giant. A director could work with that -- after all, in Alan Ladd's movies, they often stood him on a box or dug holes for his leading ladies to stand in, 'cause he was so short.[/quote]
You can do a lot with camera angles and what not. Look at John Rhys-Davies, He played a dwarf in LOTR and IIRC he's 6ft tall.
Post by Bohica   » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Bohica
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Beatrice wrote:Angelina Jolie isn't exactly begging for acting jobs. I think for her to be even remotely interested, the production would have to be an uber budget, summer blockbuster movie, and I don't see that happening. She's one of the highest paid actresses in the world, and I doubt she's going to lower herself to HBO sci-fi mini-series work any time soon.

I never said she would or should do this role in any possible Movie/TV role.

All I ever meant was, that while reading one of the books, she is who "I" see when I visualize Honor Harrington, mostly based off that "Franky" Cook character.

Maybe a better title for this thread would be "Who do you visualize as Honor Harrington, etc?"
Post by Natas   » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:17 pm

Natas
Ensign

Nightfox wrote:
Bohica wrote:Lucy Liu as Allison Harrington?

Small, wiry, asian, good sense of humor.

I think she would be a good choice.

Also Thandi Palane = Amazon Eve ?

Just found out about the lady like 2 days ago.

Nightfox

Just googled Amazon Eve, sorry, she is not muscular enough to play Thandi Palane. On the pictures I found she didn't have any special kind of muscles ... she is just tall ^^

Something like Yvette Bova would fit: Image
Just in white :D.
Or Alina Popa:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bHg7MN-usQg/T ... C_0574.JPG

But for Thandi Palane, you need a female Bodybuilder kind of girl ...

For Harrington herself I althoug imagined Angelina Jolie, especially after her role in Sky Captain.
But now she is getting to old ;).
Post by npadln   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 am

npadln
Commander

[quote="jthoma8318"]I disagree for the need of a teenager, so what about orolong. No I don't think you would want someone in her 40's playing HH, but early twenties would do. Nobody will take the movie/TV show serious if you have a teenager playing someone who IS in their 40's. I just watched Final Fantasy Spirit Within. I think you could do an animated series like that and have it taken seriously by the general public. The animation is almost as good as Avatar, and these movies were straight to DVD, not theatrical releases. The price of CG animation will, like all technology, fall rapidly as it becomes widely used. So you could maybe take the facial features of a particular star, like the Japanese protege of the Japanese mafia boss (Sorry can't recall the real name for the mob over there) in Kill Bill. But other that Nimitz, CG is only needed for the naval battle scenes. Babylon 5 did a credible job with that years ago on a shoe string budget. I mean they were on the CW and TNT. Look at how well the Stargate series on Sci-Fi channel is done. Perfect worl would be to find an Amerasian woman in her 20's that is tall, lithe and athletic, but seldom are things perfect. DW has said if the actress was capable of capturing the essence of HH and be able to pull of the Swan from Duckling transformation, he would be willing to forgo the exact ethnicity of the actress matching.
BTW I agree Hale Berry would make an EXCELENT Queen. As for Mike, the actress from Goldmember comes to mind.

[quote="Nightfox"][quote="Bohica"]

That was an idea I once threw in years ago. Interesting thing about the apparent age discrepancy though. It reminded me of the what was once said, many years ago, that older actors needed to play Romeo and Juliet because only their experience could 'get' the nuance required from the Shakespearean text/subtext. Self serving bullshit really; but back to Honor. You could have older actors playing young characters who could even look like apparent teenagers using the kinds of sophisticated CGI now available. So maybe we should devote a part of this discussion into whose voices would be good for what role.
That probably doesn't matter as much as whoever they are they should be speaking with an off-English accent I think; maybe Welsh.(a little obscure but still familiar)
Post by solbergb   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 pm

solbergb
Admiral

I usually don't have much of an opinion for Honor, as I think she'd be best played by an unknown actress, similar to the approach in the Harry Potterverse.

Cachat however - my wife and I have been watching the third season of "Chuck" and the spy "Shaw" is pretty much exactly how we picture him.

He's got the dark hair/brown eyes/youthful look, is not a big man but is pretty impressive with his shirt off and he is a total manipulative, cold bastard in the show, doing a number of things that are quite similar to what Cachat does in the books. Just as an example he fakes his death in his first appearance by ACTUALLY shooting himself in the chest before the bad guy arrived (and taking a pill to slow his metabolism), making it look like the other person in the room did the deed.

Presumably he's so damn good he made sure the bullet wouldn't hit anything vital...

He's also got a very well hidden emotional side and the actor does that very well too.
Post by rdt   » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm

rdt
Commodore

I hope you are all having fun with this. Now go over to the Bar and read Eric Flint's post in Mutter of Demons and then figure out who is gonna play Mike Stearns, etc.
Why any novelist would want to involve themselves with Hollywood I will never know. Sell the rights, take the money and run like hell. If anyone asks later, just say "Did you see my name in the credits?" Keep saying "movies and TV are NOT books" over and over. Hollywood will make what the producers want, not what the novelist wants. Unless you are JK Rowling aka Ms. MegaClout.

Return to Honorverse