Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests

Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV role?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Who would make a good Honor Harrington in a Movie/TV rol
Post by Vince   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:People being people. People would go looking for controversy and look to be offended. Remember the controversy in the movie The Martian. One character got "Whitewashed" changing the race of a character from Indian-American to mixed race African-American-Indian. But they had to be offended over the supposed "Whitewashing" of another character from Korean-American to White but hear is the thing in the book, Nowhere and I mean nowhere does it mention the characters race or ethnicity. The characters name was Mindy Park. While the name Park is uncommon in the western world it is very common in Korea. But the name Park does crop up occasionally like Air Marshal Sir Keith Park CO RAF in the last years of WWII.

That is exsctly my point. So don't give them the podium or the fuel to light that fire. Don't turn your project into a fight for civil rights or a spotlight for racial injustice or a reminder of racial divisiveness.

It is such a serious matter, that it almost happened to JK Rowling and I hurt for her. Her character of Rue is pretty much a little black girl if you really read the book and didn't allow your preconceived prejudices to shape your reading comprehension. Rowling even admitted that Rue was a black girl when she penned the story. Yet, this is how fans rewarded the casting...

I would imagine that Honor Harrington is as big as Supergirl to some fans. But don't make the mistake of casting Supergirl as black, or rabid, ignorant, pitchfork wielding fans might actually try and see if she's the girl of steel.

Why needlessly do that to your production? If you're a producer who merely wishes to experience that kind of pain, just shoot yourself in the foot instead.

Sorry, wrong author. The Hunger Games is a trilogy of young adult dystopian novels written by American novelist Suzanne Collins. J. K. Rowling wrote the Harry Potter novels.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:People being people. People would go looking for controversy and look to be offended. Remember the controversy in the movie The Martian. One character got "Whitewashed" changing the race of a character from Indian-American to mixed race African-American-Indian. But they had to be offended over the supposed "Whitewashing" of another character from Korean-American to White but hear is the thing in the book, Nowhere and I mean nowhere does it mention the characters race or ethnicity. The characters name was Mindy Park. While the name Park is uncommon in the western world it is very common in Korea. But the name Park does crop up occasionally like Air Marshal Sir Keith Park CO RAF in the last years of WWII.

That is exsctly my point. So don't give them the podium or the fuel to light that fire. Don't turn your project into a fight for civil rights or a spotlight for racial injustice or a reminder of racial divisiveness.

It is such a serious matter, that it almost happened to JK Rowling and I hurt for her. Her character of Rue is pretty much a little black girl if you really read the book and didn't allow your preconceived prejudices to shape your reading comprehension. Rowling even admitted that Rue was a black girl when she penned the story. Yet, this is how fans rewarded the casting...

I would imagine that Honor Harrington is as big as Supergirl to some fans. But don't make the mistake of casting Supergirl as black, or rabid, ignorant, pitchfork wielding fans might actually try and see if she's the girl of steel.

Why needlessly do that to your production? If you're a producer who merely wishes to experience that kind of pain, just shoot yourself in the foot instead.
Vince wrote:Sorry, wrong author. The Hunger Games is a trilogy of young adult dystopian novels written by American novelist Suzanne Collins. J. K. Rowling wrote the Harry Potter novels.

Thanks for correcting that error. Don't know how I screwed that pooch, but I do know why. My thought engrams were subliminally hijacked by the second paragraph of the article...
As CNN reports, "Only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and The Dark Knight — both sequels, with the strength of a franchise behind each — recorded bigger opening weekends." Plus, unlike those two flicks, Hunger Games was written by a woman and stars a woman (much as we love JK Rowling, her series isn't named after Hermione) — making it a true lady-centric blockbuster franchise.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by HonorableFan   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:48 am

HonorableFan
Midshipman

Hey, it's a very old topic, but fun. Since nobody ever said Honor Harrington was eye candy. I think Gina Davis or Hillary Swank, (two very strong Oscar winning actresses), would be Great for the part.
I'm just saying.
Post by cthia   » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

HonorableFan wrote:Hey, it's a very old topic, but fun. Since nobody ever said Honor Harrington was eye candy.

Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis? LOL

HonorableFan wrote:I think Gina Davis or Hillary Swank, (two very strong Oscar winning actresses), would be Great for the part.
I'm just saying.

Whatcha' talkin' 'bout Willis! LOL

Of the two, Hillary Swank has a better chance to grow on me, as Honor. Though, since her performance in Million Dollar Baby, I tend to automatically tear up at any sight or sound of her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

HonorableFan wrote:Hey, it's a very old topic, but fun. Since nobody ever said Honor Harrington was eye candy. I think Gina Davis or Hillary Swank, (two very strong Oscar winning actresses), would be Great for the part.
I'm just saying.

If you want someone who isn't eye candy, Geena Davis is not your girl. :lol: Though (to my intense sorrow) she isn't ravishing enough to play Eloise - which is a damned shame, because she was magnificent in Commander in Chief, and I've been nuts about her since I first saw her in A League of Their Own.

I think we need a newcomer for Honor, but my fantasy casting for her will always be Ming-Na Wen. Because Reasons. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:Unfortunately, once an actress has starred in something hugely successful (like, say, Wonder Woman), you can pretty much scratch her off the list for a part in an Honorverse movie or TV series. Unless she secretly loves the Honorverse and has always dreamed of playing Honor, there's no chance; the budget just won't be there.
Then Quick! somebody send her your copies so she can read them and want the part!!! (and maybe join us here in geek-town :lol: )

as for Eloise Pritchart - need a blond - I think Christina Cox (FX, Stargate SG-1, Gravity, and recently (the late) Mayor Celia Castle on Arrow, Katty Kupps on iZombie, and Elaine Lewis on Shadowhunters)

Ok, I've had a thing for her since FX...shhh...
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

For Eliose how about a blonde Julieanne Moore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
HonorableFan wrote:Hey, it's a very old topic, but fun. Since nobody ever said Honor Harrington was eye candy. I think Gina Davis or Hillary Swank, (two very strong Oscar winning actresses), would be Great for the part.
I'm just saying.

If you want someone who isn't eye candy, Geena Davis is not your girl. :lol: Though (to my intense sorrow) she isn't ravishing enough to play Eloise - which is a damned shame, because she was magnificent in Commander in Chief, and I've been nuts about her since I first saw her in A League of Their Own.

I think we need a newcomer for Honor, but my fantasy casting for her will always be Ming-Na Wen. Because Reasons. :mrgreen:

But she's too old Rose. Interesting you didn't cast her for Ally or even Dame Estelle.

Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:For Eliose how about a blonde Julieanne Moore.

Google image search only turns up two images of her as a blonde and one in a powdered wig. Discounting the latter as a deliberate use of makeup, Julianne Moore makes a hideous blonde. An absolutely luscious redhead, but her coloring is totally wrong for a blonde.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:29 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:For Eliose how about a blonde Julieanne Moore.

Weird Harold wrote:Google image search only turns up two images of her as a blonde and one in a powdered wig. Discounting the latter as a deliberate use of makeup, Julianne Moore makes a hideous blonde. An absolutely luscious redhead, but her coloring is totally wrong for a blonde.

And, Pritchart's suppose to be pretty - really, no offence intended - but she really isn't pretty, and certainly no prolong recipient.

-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.

Return to Honorverse