Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 25 guests

Warshawski sail powered rockets?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Warshawski sail powered rockets?
Post by Theemile   » Thu May 02, 2024 10:02 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Daryl wrote:@ tlb.
His universe, his rules.

Theemile wrote:I quickly learned in college the phrase "You just don't understand the physics" meant "I really don't understand the Physics either, can't explain them to you, but someone of authority told me this with confidence."

Personally, I like that the physical "rules" are established, even if sometimes arbitrary.

I was not denying "His universe, his rules", instead I was explicitly stating it.

I was a Physics student also, one main thing that I have never understood was my perceived "conflict" between the Big Bang and blackhole theories. If everything at the beginning was concentrated in one place, then isn't that a blackhole? Does that mean the universe is bounded by an event horizon?

One of the Theories I heard was the "Faux Vacuum" theory from the 80s. Pretty much there was a spot in space with different space/time rules which because unstable and Pop'd and that spilled into rest of the void of our universe. the the 90's That quickly changed with string theory, with the source being a neighboring universe with (again) different space/time rules and somehow it was able to burn though the branes (string theory shorthand for "membranes" as the theoretical dividing structure between universes) and the "pressure" forced an ejecta of "stuff" into our universe, but the point opening quickly closed as the pressure was no longer sufficient to keep it open.

I've heard a dozen other variants since, but honestly, I don't think we have a good explanation yet - we simply don't have a sufficient understanding of the base structure of the universe (and what is "beyond" that structure) to really understand it.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse