Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Case #000: Houseman vs Harrington

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Case #000: Houseman vs Harrington
Post by penny   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:If anyone else in the forum does not realize that I am channeling the prosecution, whose job is to make Honor out of a liar by disputing everything she says, then speak up and I will slow down a tad.

It is the prosecution job to ascertain the truth and seek justice, which does NOT mean "make Honor out of a liar by disputing everything she says". It would help if you knew the law better, since basically "lying by omission" is NOT true lying at all (despite what your parents may have told you).

PS: have you given up on Houseman?

Sigh

Lying by omission IS a lie in matters of this severity. It makes you look guilty. But in Honor's case it is closer to outright lying, than by omission, when she is asked a direct question. Which she was asked a direct question, by the text Jonathan posted. I will get around to that.

Wrong. Young filed the case and Honor's team would be the defense. Young's team would be the prosecution and their job is to prove Young's case and convict Honor.

The prosecution is the legal party responsible for presenting the case in a criminal trial against the defendant, an individual accused of breaking the law.

As far as Houseman, patience. I am fighting court battles on two different fronts. And court cases take time. One of my five sisters is a lawyer btw, as I have mentioned several times.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:If anyone else in the forum does not realize that I am channeling the prosecution, whose job is to make Honor out of a liar by disputing everything she says, then speak up and I will slow down a tad.

tlb wrote:It is the prosecution job to ascertain the truth and seek justice, which does NOT mean "make Honor out of a liar by disputing everything she says". It would help if you knew the law better, since basically "lying by omission" is NOT true lying at all (despite what your parents may have told you).

penny wrote:Lying by omission IS a lie in matters of this severity. It makes you look guilty. But in Honor's case it is closer to outright lying, than by omission, when she is asked a direct question. Which she was asked a direct question, by the text Jonathan posted. I will get around to that.

Wrong. Young filed the case and Honor's team would be the defense. Young's team would be the prosecution and their job is to prove Young's case and convict Honor.

The prosecution is the legal party responsible for presenting the case in a criminal trial against the defendant, an individual accused of breaking the law.

In a criminal case against Honor, Young would only be a witness and his team would definitely NOT be the prosecution (perhaps you are thinking of a civil action, not a criminal one). So don't tell me how well you know the law, maybe your sister should post instead of you.

It is true that an official pleaded with Honor to make a statement, but she did not. Since she said nothing she did not and could not have lied. She did not even "lie by omission" (not a crime), since she said nothing at all.

PS: will you swear that you have had a full conversation with your sister about: A) whether saying nothing really counts as "lying by omission" and B) whether "lying by omission" is even a crime.

PPS: Looking guilty is also not a crime.
Post by penny   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:It is the prosecution job to ascertain the truth and seek justice, which does NOT mean "make Honor out of a liar by disputing everything she says". It would help if you knew the law better, since basically "lying by omission" is NOT true lying at all (despite what your parents may have told you).

penny wrote:Lying by omission IS a lie in matters of this severity. It makes you look guilty. But in Honor's case it is closer to outright lying, than by omission, when she is asked a direct question. Which she was asked a direct question, by the text Jonathan posted. I will get around to that.

tlb wrote:In a criminal case against Honor, Young would only be a witness and his team would definitely NOT be the prosecution (perhaps you are thinking of a civil action, not a criminal one). So don't tell me how well you know the law, maybe your sister should post instead of you.

It is true that an official pleaded with Honor to make a statement, but she did not. Since she said nothing she did not and could not have lied. She did not even "lie by omission" (not a crime), since she said nothing at all.

PS: will you swear that you have had a full conversation with your sister about: A) whether saying nothing really counts as "lying by omission" and B) whether "lying by omission" is even a crime.

PPS: Looking guilty is also not a crime.

:roll: Why are we arguing about something silly? Are you objecting to me calling the DA the prosecutor?

DA = Prosecution.

Technically, the DA can hire private lawyers. The DA retains the lead role, but it is still possible. But why does it matter? The DA IS the prosecution team!

Why are we arguing about this again? Are you stalling the court case like a former president?

Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:24 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Lying by omission IS a lie in matters of this severity. It makes you look guilty. But in Honor's case it is closer to outright lying, than by omission, when she is asked a direct question. Which she was asked a direct question, by the text Jonathan posted.

You clearly read that text wildly differently that I do. It says nothing about her being asked a direct question.
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote: :roll: Why are we arguing about something silly? Are you objecting to me calling the DA the prosecutor?

DA = Prosecution.

Technically, the DA can hire private lawyers. The DA retains the lead role, but it is still possible. But why does it matter? The DA IS the prosecution team!

No, we are not arguing about you "calling the DA the prosecutor". Instead we seem to be arguing about you calling Young's team the prosecution, when Young and his whole team are nothing more than witnesses. If the prosecution team is Young's team, then there is a miscarriage of justice and the results would be thrown out on appeal.

We seem to be arguing about your "understanding" of the law and silly is not a strong enough word for it.
Post by penny   » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote: :roll: Why are we arguing about something silly? Are you objecting to me calling the DA the prosecutor?

DA = Prosecution.

No, we are not arguing about you "calling the DA the prosecutor". Instead we seem to be arguing about you calling Young's team the prosecution, when Young and his whole team are nothing more than witnesses. If the prosecution team is Young's team, then there is a miscarriage of justice and the results would be thrown out on appeal.

We seem to be arguing about your "understanding" of the law and silly is not a strong enough word for it.

:roll:

Post by Fox2!   » Fri May 03, 2024 6:18 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Theemile wrote:
Nimitz had also been drugged by a Cronney so we wouldn't follow Honor to the Showers- surely a blood test, if taken soon enough after the event would back this up. In which case it's a big pile of conspiracy and conclusion to attack Honor.

Evidence of drugging a tree cat in futherance of a sexual assault would surely have gotten the attention of She Who Not Even the North Hollow files would have deterred.
Post by tlb   » Fri May 03, 2024 8:08 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Nimitz had also been drugged by a Cronney so we wouldn't follow Honor to the Showers- surely a blood test, if taken soon enough after the event would back this up. In which case it's a big pile of conspiracy and conclusion to attack Honor.

Fox2! wrote:Evidence of drugging a tree cat in futherance of a sexual assault would surely have gotten the attention of She Who Not Even the North Hollow files would have deterred.

Having passed up on her chance to testify against Pavel Young, there is nothing more that Honor could do. She will have to content herself with thoughts of the beating that she had already delivered.

She cannot now physically attack him, that would get her kicked out of the academy. It is very likely that academy students are forbidden to duel with each other; since we already know that serving officers require permission to have a duel.

Anyway, if it was a crony that drugged Nimitz, that is not direct evidence against anyone except the culprit (assuming an identification is possible).

Return to Honorverse