Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Case #000: Houseman vs Harrington

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Case #000: Houseman vs Harrington
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:If the League were so aware of Manticore's technology, then perhaps they would have been more cautious about getting into a shooting war. They were not impressed by standing up to Haven, that was just another sign of being a neobarb.

Standing up to Haven meant little. For the sollies, that was just another neobarb-on-neobarb war and how much better than pointed sticks and shaved stones could they have? (hyperbole here, but you get the point) The very fact that they were fighting meant that they couldn't be civilised in the first place!

For Manticore, it was even worse than having duelling. It was a Kingdom! With nobility! What an antiquated form of government.

Even if they were not so blind, it would take all sorts of self-realisation to even begin to consider that their technology wasn't the best all around, which is a long step away from "totally outclassed." Before the outbreak of the First War, Manticore had no idea how big its tech edge was. Cultural inertia takes a long time to fix.
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 pm

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
tlb wrote:If the League were so aware of Manticore's technology, then perhaps they would have been more cautious about getting into a shooting war. They were not impressed by standing up to Haven, that was just another sign of being a neobarb.

Standing up to Haven meant little. For the sollies, that was just another neobarb-on-neobarb war and how much better than pointed sticks and shaved stones could they have? (hyperbole here, but you get the point) The very fact that they were fighting meant that they couldn't be civilised in the first place!

For Manticore, it was even worse than having duelling. It was a Kingdom! With nobility! What an antiquated form of government.

Even if they were not so blind, it would take all sorts of self-realisation to even begin to consider that their technology wasn't the best all around, which is a long step away from "totally outclassed." Before the outbreak of the First War, Manticore had no idea how big its tech edge was. Cultural inertia takes a long time to fix.

Spot on! However, I always thought that Manticore's antiquated form of government is the only government that would allow dueling. Grayson's dueling is very different, having its roots based on God and religion.

@Jonathan. I agree. I was overthinking the derogatory term. Terms which rarely has any of its roots in reality.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:However, I always thought that Manticore's antiquated form of government is the only government that would allow dueling. Grayson's dueling is very different, having its roots based on God and religion.

Someone from Great Britain will have to check me on this; but I would have thought that Manticore's government was not that dissimilar to that of Great Britain, particularly before the House of Lords lost some power in 1911. The main difference is Manticore's House of Lords has more power based primarily on the fact that the Prime Minister must be a member and it controls the initiation of finance bills. However the Queen is working on moving the initiation of finance bills to the House of Commons. But even if I am wrong; I fail to see the basis for calling Manticore's setup "antiquated", since it is still a constitutional monarchy with popular representation in the House of Commons.

We actually do not know whether Grayson has dueling. "Trial by Combat" is not really the same thing: a duel is a dispute between two individuals over an social disagreement, while trial by combat is an alternative to a judicial proceeding over a criminal offense.

Although trial by combat was not removed from English law until 1819, the last actual use occurred in 1492. The last death by dueling on English soil occurred in 1845.
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:However, I always thought that Manticore's antiquated form of government is the only government that would allow dueling. Grayson's dueling is very different, having its roots based on God and religion.

Someone from Great Britain will have to check me on this; but I would have thought that Manticore's government was not that dissimilar to that of Great Britain, particularly before the House of Lords lost some power in 1911. The main difference is Manticore's House of Lords has more power based primarily on the fact that the Prime Minister must be a member and it controls the initiation of finance bills. However the Queen is working on moving the initiation of finance bills to the House of Commons. But even if I am wrong; I fail to see the basis for calling Manticore's setup "antiquated", since it is still a constitutional monarchy with popular representation in the House of Commons.

We actually do not know whether Grayson has dueling. "Trial by Combat" is not really the same thing: a duel is a dispute between two individuals over an social disagreement, while trial by combat is an alternative to a judicial proceeding over a criminal offense.

Although trial by combat was not removed from English law until 1819, the last actual use occurred in 1492. The last death by dueling on English soil occurred in 1845.

Manticore's government is not that dissimilar to that of Great Britain? It is a dead ringer for it! And Great Britain featured dueling. And I can understand why. Only someone from an effete society as such, can have his nose disjointed by a few words to the point of feeling his honor is impugned. In America, kids are taught that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me." In lieu of "Well, I never!" Only in Great Britain can mere words drain the color out of already porcelain skin. :o

Post by tlb   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Manticore's government is not that dissimilar to that of Great Britain? It is a dead ringer for it! And Great Britain featured dueling. And I can understand why. Only someone from an effete society as such, can have his nose disjointed by a few words to the point of feeling his honor is impugned. In America, kids are taught that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me." In lieu of "Well, I never!" Only in Great Britain can mere words drain the color out of already porcelain skin. :o
What nonsense about the USA, the antebellum South was absolutely duel happy. From the NCpedia web page:
Dueling was a ritual of violence practiced by gentlemen who followed the so-called code of honor in the antebellum South. A perceived insult to the manliness, integrity, or reputation of a gentleman often led to a duel. The offended party challenged his antagonist in order to protect his "honor" in the eyes of the community.

--- skip ---

The heyday of dueling was after the turn of the century. On 5 Sept. 1802, John Stanly killed former governor Richard Dobbs Spaight behind the Masonic hall in New Bern in one of the most famous duels in state history. Although the legislature outlawed dueling in the wake of Spaight's death, North Carolina society condoned affairs of honor, and the law was not enforced. Political rivalries alone account for at least 27 duels in the state between 1800 and 1860; the combatants included legislators, governors, and U.S. senators. If the complete list of all the principals and seconds who participated in duels in antebellum North Carolina could be compiled, it would include many of the state's most prominent males.
From Wikipedia, "Dueling in the Southern United States":
Dueling was a common practice in the U.S. South from the seventeenth century until the end of the American Civil War in 1865. Although the duel largely disappeared in the early nineteenth century in the North, it remained a common practice in the South (as well as the West) until the battlefield experience of the American Civil War changed public opinion and resulted in an irreversible decline for dueling. The markets and governance of the South were not as institutionalized during the nineteenth century compared to the North. Thus, duels presented what seemed like a quicker way of settling disputes outside of the courts. Although many duels were fought to settle disputes over tangible items such as land, unpaid debts, money, or women, more were over intangible ones.

Background
The act of dueling was often condemned by public figures throughout early U.S. history and seen as unnecessarily violent and instigated by trivial matters. For example, to pinch someone's nose was an insult grave enough to challenge to a duel for it symbolized the unmasking of a liar. Contrary to the perception that the act of dueling occurred at the “drop of a hat,” there were real economic forces that drove one to challenge another or accept a duel. However, the concept of “defending one’s honor” was not quite as abstract and idealistic as often imagined – losing “honor” often had pecuniary disadvantages that made defending one's honor a somewhat rational decision, even at risk of being physically harmed or even killed. Dueling to protect one's credit or honor was partly a response to the underdeveloped credit markets of this region and time period.

Personal credit in the South
In the U.S. South, whose economy was mostly agricultural (including plantations) and production cycles were longer-term than those of their manufacturing-oriented Northern counterparts, planters were often highly leveraged and heavily dependent on personal credit to carry them through to the harvesting and sale of their crops. The assets of plantation owners were largely illiquid, their estates holding value in the form of real estate and slaves. Thus, preserving personal credit was highly important to the livelihoods of planters.

Given that Southern credit markets were rather opaque until the early 20th century -– lenders could not readily view an applicant's financial statement—having a reputation as “honorable” was almost essential to obtaining approval for loans. In addition, transaction costs were very high during this period; therefore, perceived personal integrity or character was important to being viewed as likely to honor one's contracts and debts. Thus, the word honor was nearly culturally synonymous with creditworthiness. The long-term economic penalties for having one's reputation ruined included limited access to capital and diminished political influence.

Lending institutions did not punish debtors for participating in duels. A planter might risk a devaluation of his assets as a result of turning down a duel - with the loss of his honor - which would harm the lender as well. In the case that a debtor accepted a duel challenge and lost, the lender could expect an honorable man to honor his debts posthumously by paying back the owed amount with interest as his estate was liquidated.
Post by penny   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 am

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:Manticore's government is not that dissimilar to that of Great Britain? It is a dead ringer for it! And Great Britain featured dueling. And I can understand why. Only someone from an effete society as such, can have his nose disjointed by a few words to the point of feeling his honor is impugned. In America, kids are taught that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never harm me." In lieu of "Well, I never!" Only in Great Britain can mere words drain the color out of already porcelain skin. :o
What nonsense about the USA, the antebellum South was absolutely duel happy. From the NCpedia web page:
Dueling was a ritual of violence practiced by gentlemen who followed the so-called code of honor in the antebellum South. A perceived insult to the manliness, integrity, or reputation of a gentleman often led to a duel. The offended party challenged his antagonist in order to protect his "honor" in the eyes of the community.

--- skip ---

The heyday of dueling was after the turn of the century. On 5 Sept. 1802, John Stanly killed former governor Richard Dobbs Spaight behind the Masonic hall in New Bern in one of the most famous duels in state history. Although the legislature outlawed dueling in the wake of Spaight's death, North Carolina society condoned affairs of honor, and the law was not enforced. Political rivalries alone account for at least 27 duels in the state between 1800 and 1860; the combatants included legislators, governors, and U.S. senators. If the complete list of all the principals and seconds who participated in duels in antebellum North Carolina could be compiled, it would include many of the state's most prominent males.
From Wikipedia, "Dueling in the Southern United States":
Dueling was a common practice in the U.S. South from the seventeenth century until the end of the American Civil War in 1865. Although the duel largely disappeared in the early nineteenth century in the North, it remained a common practice in the South (as well as the West) until the battlefield experience of the American Civil War changed public opinion and resulted in an irreversible decline for dueling. The markets and governance of the South were not as institutionalized during the nineteenth century compared to the North. Thus, duels presented what seemed like a quicker way of settling disputes outside of the courts. Although many duels were fought to settle disputes over tangible items such as land, unpaid debts, money, or women, more were over intangible ones.

Background
The act of dueling was often condemned by public figures throughout early U.S. history and seen as unnecessarily violent and instigated by trivial matters. For example, to pinch someone's nose was an insult grave enough to challenge to a duel for it symbolized the unmasking of a liar. Contrary to the perception that the act of dueling occurred at the “drop of a hat,” there were real economic forces that drove one to challenge another or accept a duel. However, the concept of “defending one’s honor” was not quite as abstract and idealistic as often imagined – losing “honor” often had pecuniary disadvantages that made defending one's honor a somewhat rational decision, even at risk of being physically harmed or even killed. Dueling to protect one's credit or honor was partly a response to the underdeveloped credit markets of this region and time period.

Personal credit in the South
In the U.S. South, whose economy was mostly agricultural (including plantations) and production cycles were longer-term than those of their manufacturing-oriented Northern counterparts, planters were often highly leveraged and heavily dependent on personal credit to carry them through to the harvesting and sale of their crops. The assets of plantation owners were largely illiquid, their estates holding value in the form of real estate and slaves. Thus, preserving personal credit was highly important to the livelihoods of planters.

Given that Southern credit markets were rather opaque until the early 20th century -– lenders could not readily view an applicant's financial statement—having a reputation as “honorable” was almost essential to obtaining approval for loans. In addition, transaction costs were very high during this period; therefore, perceived personal integrity or character was important to being viewed as likely to honor one's contracts and debts. Thus, the word honor was nearly culturally synonymous with creditworthiness. The long-term economic penalties for having one's reputation ruined included limited access to capital and diminished political influence.

Lending institutions did not punish debtors for participating in duels. A planter might risk a devaluation of his assets as a result of turning down a duel - with the loss of his honor - which would harm the lender as well. In the case that a debtor accepted a duel challenge and lost, the lender could expect an honorable man to honor his debts posthumously by paying back the owed amount with interest as his estate was liquidated.

The post was meant to be facetious. Though I didn't make that clear. Of course the US participated in dueling. That is how the west was won. Though, IMO, it was always more like gunfighting than dueling. It was never as formal and it often devolved into something less sophisticated. Even that famous duel in New Bern is rumored not to have gone down as history recorded it. I grew up near New Bern. At any rate, that post was a shot at the effete society that was, is, Great Britain. As many an American scoffed at the over sold puff of English society. Not I, mind you, but America as a whole was not, is not, smitten by the Queen. But of course, America had to out duel the British for our freedom.

At any rate, although words fueled a duel in America as well, "yellow bellied horse stealing varmint," duels were not particularly fought in America over "honor." It was over property, principal, wine, woman and song.

Post by Daryl   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

As an Australian who has spent a fair bit of time in the UK, and who has always been interested in the last couple of century's of British history, I can see that RFC has modeled much on the UK. Political system, Queen's name, Royal Navy and society. Nothing wrong with that, when you consider just how much of the world their empire controlled at its peak. The rapid development of naval weaponry between 1890 to 1914 was amazing, considering just how much of the various nation's wealth was invested in existing systems. HMS Warrior devalued all before it, as did HMS Dreadnaught, generations later the aircraft carriers did the same. Now hypersonic missiles look to supplant aircraft carriers.
Just today Ukraine issued a video purporting to show how a $396 drone destroyed a $2.5M T90 Russian tank.
We should always remember that dueling was widespread in Europe as well. Young German aristocrats displayed facial dueling scars from sword duels, as badges of honour. Even if patently staged.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Um; America of that time had plenty of dueling. Hamilton/Burr anyone? (For the most famous example)

Plus plenty of kids from presumably non-effete 20th and 21st century America get into fights over name calling or words -- despite being taught 'words can never hurt me'. Sometimes that's a spontaneous fist thrown in response and sometimes it's more formal challenge -- "meet me after school behind the gym". The kids just generally restrict it to scuffling without weapons - so we don't call it dueling. (Though by high school, in areas where gangs are prevalent, things can get more deadly; but generally less formalized)

In possibly an interesting coincidence, Google tells me that the first known record of "Sticks and stones break one's bones, but names will never hurt one" was March 22, 1862 -- which was after dueling was falling out of societal favor.
Post by penny   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am

penny
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:

Um; America of that time had plenty of dueling. Hamilton/Burr anyone? (For the most famous example)

Plus plenty of kids from presumably non-effete 20th and 21st century America get into fights over name calling or words -- despite being taught 'words can never hurt me'. Sometimes that's a spontaneous fist thrown in response and sometimes it's more formal challenge -- "meet me after school behind the gym". The kids just generally restrict it to scuffling without weapons - so we don't call it dueling. (Though by high school, in areas where gangs are prevalent, things can get more deadly; but generally less formalized)

In possibly an interesting coincidence, Google tells me that the first known record of "Sticks and stones break one's bones, but names will never hurt one" was March 22, 1862 -- which was after dueling was falling out of societal favor.

Like the N-word, currently, where one could die on the spot. I stand corrected. :?

Post by tlb   » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:The post was meant to be facetious. Though I didn't make that clear. Of course the US participated in dueling. That is how the west was won. Though, IMO, it was always more like gunfighting than dueling. It was never as formal and it often devolved into something less sophisticated. Even that famous duel in New Bern is rumored not to have gone down as history recorded it.

Usually when you attempt "humor" outside of the "attempted humor" thread, you throw in a few "LOL"s as a clue.

Gunfighting is NOT how the west was "won". The wild west period is estimated to have only lasted about 30 years after the Civil War. Law and order advanced despite the gunfights and not (with very few exceptions) because of them. The gunfight at OK Corral was as notable for its legal aftermath as it was for the actual event.

The antebellum South did not just emulate Great Britain, they believed they were better. They did have their code of honor, even if it was just a veneer over baser motives. Their duels were more formalized than the gunfights in the west.

Return to Honorverse