Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 169 guests

do deep fakes in the honorverse leave clues?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
do deep fakes in the honorverse leave clues?
Post by Puidwen   » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 am

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Zilwicki is talking to Arianne McBryde. He mentions that even with someone like him, with a good set of imagery, a fake examined by experts will show hundreds of flaws. But there's been all sort of fake imagery floating around the honorverse that was never revealed. for instance even if they didn't suspect it to be faked i suspect the video of honor's hanging was gone over by their intelligence services. Granted he might be exaggerating because he's is trying to convince her yes this video is real since she knows his reputation.
Re: do deep fakes in the honorverse leave clues?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Puidwen wrote:Zilwicki is talking to Arianne McBryde. He mentions that even with someone like him, with a good set of imagery, a fake examined by experts will show hundreds of flaws. But there's been all sort of fake imagery floating around the honorverse that was never revealed. for instance even if they didn't suspect it to be faked i suspect the video of honor's hanging was gone over by their intelligence services. Granted he might be exaggerating because he's is trying to convince her yes this video is real since she knows his reputation.

But Honor's greatly-exaggerated-demise video wasn't a deep fake. It was a staged hanging of an actress, with cosmetic alterations to pass as Honor's body-double, in poor lighting, and then some video manipulation to make it look like her.

The Alliance also had no reason to doubt Haven's veracity here: they knew she and her ship had been captured and were aware of the PRH's judgement in absentia against her. The PRH was also careful not to go over the top and portray Honor doing anything atypical of her, which would raise suspicions. The best cover for a lie is to bury it in a pile of truth.
Post by Puidwen   » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The Alliance also had no reason to doubt Haven's veracity here: they knew she and her ship had been captured and were aware of the PRH's judgement in absentia against her. The PRH was also careful not to go over the top and portray Honor doing anything atypical of her, which would raise suspicions. The best cover for a lie is to bury it in a pile of truth.

Okay, the actor thing makes sense, it's been awhile since i've reread the book.
Post by penny   » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm

penny
Captain of the List

Perhaps ALL deep fakes leave clues if the original video can be examined. But, our own world is currently scrambling against AI fakes. We cannot tell the difference. HV AI should be light years beyond our current AI. So...

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

RFC has constructed a coherent universe, with consistent rules.
Somewhat more compliant physics, but others are more restrictive on computer science.
I would submit that in Safehold he has allowed AIs, but in the Honorverse their computer technology has scarcely progressed past ours.
penny wrote:Perhaps ALL deep fakes leave clues if the original video can be examined. But, our own world is currently scrambling against AI fakes. We cannot tell the difference. HV AI should be light years beyond our current AI. So...
Post by tlb   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:21 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Perhaps ALL deep fakes leave clues if the original video can be examined. But, our own world is currently scrambling against AI fakes. We cannot tell the difference. HV AI should be light years beyond our current AI. So...
Daryl wrote:RFC has constructed a coherent universe, with consistent rules.
Somewhat more compliant physics, but others are more restrictive on computer science.
I would submit that in Safehold he has allowed AIs, but in the Honorverse their computer technology has scarcely progressed past ours.

Yes and no, I believe the only explicit prohibition is against a robot ship that can navigate hyper-space. In Echoes of Honor we have this:
Chapter 46 wrote:"You and me both, Commander," Honor admitted, then drew a deep breath and stepped over to the communications station. She reached down and took the microphone the com officer handed her. The Al-driven "Warden Tresca" Scotty Tremaine and Horace Harkness had built out of the dead Black Leg's file imagery had performed beautifully during the Peeps' approach, but it was time for a more hands-on approach, she thought grimly, then nodded to Phillips.
Note that later we have this exchange:
Chapter 49 wrote:"That," Citizen General Chernock said flatly, "is not Dennis Tresca."
He jabbed a savage finger at the face of the man still speaking from the main com screen. His own bridge chair was well outside the field of Citizen Colonel Therret's audio and visual pickups as "Tresca" spoke to the chief of staff, and Citizen Rear Admiral Yearman looked at the citizen general oddly.
"With all due respect, how can you be so certain, Citizen General?" he asked quietly. Chernock glanced at him, and the Navy officer shrugged. "Whoever he is, he's fielded every question we've asked him so far, Sir," he pointed out. "And I don't see any signs of hesitation or that he's being coerced."
"I don't think he is—assuming that it's actually a 'he' at all!" Chernock growled, and one of Yearman's eyebrows rose, almost as if against his will. Chernock saw it and barked a short, hard laugh that did absolutely nothing to still the fury pulsing in his heart. Dennis Tresca was—or had been—his friend. But if that wasn't Tresca on the com, then he could only assume the warden was a prisoner or dead. And from what he knew of Tresca's treatment of enemies of the People, it was highly unlikely any of the elitist scum on Hades had been interested in allowing him to surrender.
"My own guess is that we're looking at an AI," the citizen general went on after a moment. Yearman cocked his head, his expression painfully neutral, and Chernock laughed again, this time almost naturally. "I know it's better than we could probably produce, although some of the work at Public Information's special effects department might surprise you, Citizen Admiral!" Like the imagery of that pain in the ass Harrington's execution, he didn't add. "But there are quite a few recently captured Manty POWs down there, and their cyberneticists have always been better than ours. One of them, or several working together, could have put together something much more sophisticated than we could."
Post by penny   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:08 am

penny
Captain of the List

You might get me to agree that HV software isn't too far ahead of us, but their computer hardware certainly is. There is no way I can see our computers performing at the speeds of HV computers. Our present computers cannot track as many targets as in the HV and target them.

Daryl wrote:RFC has constructed a coherent universe, with consistent rules.

Post by tlb   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:44 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:You might get me to agree that HV software isn't too far ahead of us, but their computer hardware certainly is. There is no way I can see our computers performing at the speeds of HV computers. Our present computers cannot track as many targets as in the HV and target them.

Can our software do what Echoes of Honor says that theirs can do? I expect that their hardware and software are far advanced beyond ours; tracking and targeting are functions of both.
Post by penny   » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:22 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:You might get me to agree that HV software isn't too far ahead of us, but their computer hardware certainly is. There is no way I can see our computers performing at the speeds of HV computers. Our present computers cannot track as many targets as in the HV and target them.

Can our software do what Echoes of Honor says that theirs can do? I expect that their hardware and software are far advanced beyond ours; tracking and targeting are functions of both.

Oh, I agree, at the end of the day. What I was trying to relate is that I would be more apt to believe, that if anything, our software is within range of theirs.* No, I do not actually believe that it is. But I could be sold on that a lot easier.

My point is that software always trails behind the hardware. Hardware keeps getting better and better, and software never catches up. Look at what is about to happen now. A new kind of computer chip is about to be introduced. The AI chip. How long will it be before software will be written to take full advantage across the board of such a premium costing chip? $30,000 - $40,000.

* Late edit: That should have read, "our software capability." Which should have been obvious.

FYI. In the beginning of the era of computers, it was the hardware that lagged behind.

Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

We are beginning to approach very real limits to the scale of processor miniaturization/density. I’m sure there are approaches that will extend the run, but it seems likely that we are approaching the upper flat part of the technology curve without some sort of revolutionary approach that nobody has yet found.

To a certain extent the technology in the books does what it does due to needs of the plot. Realistically I suspect that the ability to produce forgeries is going to only get better. They are going to be made faster and better and the things that allow people to spot them will be removed. If you have enough video and audio of someone you are going to be able to produce a highly convincing version of them doing and saying whatever you need. You’ll be able to run your fake past a bunch of expert systems designed to spot fakes and tweak it to not get flagged. It will be interesting.

Return to Honorverse