Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests

SLN, and MAlign playing catch up with Manticoran superiority

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN, and MAlign playing catch up with Manticoran superio
Post by tlb   » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:49 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Bureaucratic red tape does not denote a lack of freedom. On the contrary, bureaucratic red tape could be viewed as an ally to freedom. It provides an avenue.

Jonathan_S wrote:Um, but you previously said that East Germans were not free. Yet they had a bureaucratic process, with its red tape, to apply to visit West Berlin, West Germany, or other international locations.

What rejection rate from the bureaucracy make a people unfree?

Apparently East Germans at IIRC >50% rejection were unfree. But over 2% of US residents are apparently barred from entering Canada due to prior DUI convictions, and virtually no US residents are permitted (by the US) to travel to Cuba but I presume you view US residents as free. So where's the cut-off?

tlb wrote:To the extent that this is a "right" whose lawful exercise is very much dependent on government actions and the "bureaucratic red tape" is a result of restrictive laws passed by those governments.

penny wrote:Oh my word! Anyone should know that bureaucratic red tape comes in all shapes and forms. I DID say that bureaucratic red tape "COULD" be viewed as an ally to travel; as a means, as a path. IF such red tape is not TOO restrictive. Such as it was with East Germany. East Germans could not exchange enough of their currency for the destination's currency. Like Czechoslovakia. So after you arrived you did not have enough money to BUY anything. If you did not return, you can bet your family members would not be allowed to go ANYWHERE. Lines at the border were so long that only the healthy could handle it. Etc., etc. I have heard horror stories from my Romanian friends; some of whom were Romanian by way of East Germany. I have bookends made from the Berlin Wall.

Referencing East Germany as a country who allowed its citizens to travel is asinine! They were not traveling. They were FLEEING!

I have tried here to arrange the quotes about East Germany in order. To be clear, no one here has said that they were free. Jonathan_S was asking you about the sorites paradox (which has come up before): at what point does that "red tape" hinder freedom, specifically aren't we in the US less free because of restrictions on going to Cuba? Note that this does not equate us to the citizens of the former East Germany, because we are at different ends of the spectrum that varies from slightly restricted to extremely restricted.

I have only said (or tied to say) that the "red tape" grows out of the country's laws and whether it is to any extent helpful depends on the intent and interpretation of those laws.
Post by penny   » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:01 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
penny wrote:Bureaucratic red tape does not denote a lack of freedom. On the contrary, bureaucratic red tape could be viewed as an ally to freedom. It provides an avenue.

Jonathan_S wrote:Um, but you previously said that East Germans were not free. Yet they had a bureaucratic process, with its red tape, to apply to visit West Berlin, West Germany, or other international locations.

What rejection rate from the bureaucracy make a people unfree?

Apparently East Germans at IIRC >50% rejection were unfree. But over 2% of US residents are apparently barred from entering Canada due to prior DUI convictions, and virtually no US residents are permitted (by the US) to travel to Cuba but I presume you view US residents as free. So where's the cut-off?

tlb wrote:To the extent that this is a "right" whose lawful exercise is very much dependent on government actions and the "bureaucratic red tape" is a result of restrictive laws passed by those governments.

penny wrote:Oh my word! Anyone should know that bureaucratic red tape comes in all shapes and forms. I DID say that bureaucratic red tape "COULD" be viewed as an ally to travel; as a means, as a path. IF such red tape is not TOO restrictive. Such as it was with East Germany. East Germans could not exchange enough of their currency for the destination's currency. Like Czechoslovakia. So after you arrived you did not have enough money to BUY anything. If you did not return, you can bet your family members would not be allowed to go ANYWHERE. Lines at the border were so long that only the healthy could handle it. Etc., etc. I have heard horror stories from my Romanian friends; some of whom were Romanian by way of East Germany. I have bookends made from the Berlin Wall.

Referencing East Germany as a country who allowed its citizens to travel is asinine! They were not traveling. They were FLEEING!

I have tried here to arrange the quotes about East Germany in order. To be clear, no one here has said that they were free. Jonathan_S was asking you about the sorites paradox (which has come up before): at what point does that "red tape" hinder freedom, specifically aren't we in the US less free because of restrictions on going to Cuba? Note that this does not equate us to the citizens of the former East Germany, because we are at different ends of the spectrum that varies from slightly restricted to extremely restricted.

I have only said (or tied to say) that the "red tape" grows out of the country's laws and whether it is to any extent helpful depends on the intent and interpretation of those laws.

:roll:

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:29 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I have tried here to arrange the quotes about East Germany in order. To be clear, no one here has said that they were free. Jonathan_S was asking you about the sorites paradox (which has come up before): at what point does that "red tape" hinder freedom, specifically aren't we in the US less free because of restrictions on going to Cuba? Note that this does not equate us to the citizens of the former East Germany, because we are at different ends of the spectrum that varies from slightly restricted to extremely restricted.

penny wrote: :roll:

I am guessing that you think that someone said East Germany was free? I did a search on this thread for "Germany" and could not find any such instance, so would you please point to the quote that causes the eye roll?
Post by penny   » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:31 pm

penny
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:For example keeping sidewalls active over the yards at all times; having block ships constantly putting up mazes of wedges outside of that, leaving PDLCs on automatic computer control (which could blunt the short range launches of stealthed pods of cataphracts), etc. Those are all expensive, in terms of burning through component lifetimes and maintenance requirements (and leaving people out of the loop on the PDLCs carries some risk of friendly fire) -- but they're something that could have been done without any new technological breakthroughs once it was apparent that weapons might strike with near-zero warning.

None of those will stop an attack -- but they probably up the number of weapons needed to kill a yard by 50 to 100 times.

If they did that. Is there any actual evidence that they have taken any serious countermeasures? We see them having entire fleets with all the wedgrs down past OB and parking in one place and daring the enemy to approach.

Exactly what I was referring to. And so, since Bolthole is hidden, how can we expect that they don't simply rely on the fact that they are hidden.

Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Exactly what I was referring to. And so, since Bolthole is hidden, how can we expect that they don't simply rely on the fact that they are hidden.

I’m kind of hoping that some fleet full of cocky, overconfident, and arrogant spacers uses their proven tactics and gets their clock cleaned.
Post by markusschaber   » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:56 am

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:For example keeping sidewalls active over the yards at all times; having block ships constantly putting up mazes of wedges outside of that, leaving PDLCs on automatic computer control (which could blunt the short range launches of stealthed pods of cataphracts), etc. Those are all expensive, in terms of burning through component lifetimes and maintenance requirements (and leaving people out of the loop on the PDLCs carries some risk of friendly fire) -- but they're something that could have been done without any new technological breakthroughs once it was apparent that weapons might strike with near-zero warning.

None of those will stop an attack -- but they probably up the number of weapons needed to kill a yard by 50 to 100 times.

kzt wrote:If they did that. Is there any actual evidence that they have taken any serious countermeasures? We see them having entire fleets with all the wedgrs down past OB and parking in one place and daring the enemy to approach.

penny wrote:Exactly what I was referring to. And so, since Bolthole is hidden, how can we expect that they don't simply rely on the fact that they are hidden.

The local leaders in Bolthole are Shannon Foracker and Sonja Hemphill. Neither of them are really known for sitting around lazily on their asses.

And not to forget: A lot of the Manticoran researchers is only still alive because of an emergency evacuation drill. They know to take precautions seriously.
Post by penny   » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:08 am

penny
Commodore

kzt wrote:

I’m kind of hoping that some fleet full of cocky, overconfident, and arrogant spacers uses their proven tactics and gets their clock cleaned.

LOL

That clock can also be set back years. Both Shannon Foraker and Sonja are at Bolthole, and I don't see the MA taking prisoners. If Both of our demonic duo are captured, tortured and / or killed, that could set the GA back years.

Post by kzt   » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:That clock can also be set back years. Both Shannon Foraker and Sonja are at Bolthole, and I don't see the MA taking prisoners. If Both of our demonic duo are captured, tortured and / or killed, that could set the GA back years.

They would certainly want to take a bunch of prisoners if they took bolthole. They would want to gather as much data as possible before blowing the whole construction and naval base to hell.
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:10 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

kzt wrote:
penny wrote:That clock can also be set back years. Both Shannon Foraker and Sonja are at Bolthole, and I don't see the MA taking prisoners. If Both of our demonic duo are captured, tortured and / or killed, that could set the GA back years.

They would certainly want to take a bunch of prisoners if they took bolthole. They would want to gather as much data as possible before blowing the whole construction and naval base to hell.

Wouldn't
Last edited by Mycall4me on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

kzt wrote:

Wouldn't that require ground forces? And I would think that Manticore would have sent marines to protect their people (especially Sonja) And the MA's forces wouldn't have the experience or military traditions of the RMMC. It would be like a bunch of recruits attacking an experienced combat unit.

Then there's the small problem of finding them in the first place amidst all the destruction and confusion of the surprise attack.

Return to Honorverse