Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 180 guests

Forget I said anything

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Forget I said anything
Post by Mycall4me   » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:07 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

I would have deleted the post, but the option wasn't available, this was the best (and the least) I could do.
Last edited by Mycall4me on Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Albrecht Detweiller's death
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:24 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:So Albrecht Detweiller sacrificed himself to safeguard the Alignment's secrecy on Mesa. I don't buy it. Given the Alignment's long standing, well developed, undercover operational experience, I find it hard to believe that Albrecht, and at the very least his wife, could not have eventually gotten off Mesa.

The GA wasn't going to be able to completely shut down travel from Mesa indefinetely, no matter how they tried. And Albrecht most certainly wasn't any kind of public figure, he was, in fact, a complete unknown even to many high ranking people in the Alignment. His home on the island was completely unknown, and even if it wasn't, there are more than enough people on Mesa to hide among.

He might have had to wait for travel restrictions to lighten up before he made his getaway, but he had all the time in the world to do so. He could have even waited years to make his escape without it being a personal problem

And yet he took away his future contribution to the goals of the Alignment for what, exactly? Can anyone come up with a convincing explanation on why he sacrificed himself?
Did we not discuss that enough in your thread MAlign's Houdini evacuation order? earlier this month?

I'll repeat my thought from there -- I'd been left with the impression that Albrecht didn't want to live with having pressed the Final Flourish button, to nuke all the remaining evacuation sites. So rather than trying to hide and slip away later he welcomed going out in another nuke blast and leaving his sons to carry out the MAlign's grand plan.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post by Mycall4me   » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:56 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

But Albrecht was such an evil guy who had already done some despicable things, to his own people no less, not just others, I just don't see him as being capable of anything less than being a self serving monster.
Post by tlb   » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:21 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:But Albrecht was such an evil guy who had already done some despicable things, to his own people no less, not just others, I just don't see him as being capable of anything less than being a self serving monster.

Yes, he is an evil guy; but he is not self-serving, he is serving his ancestor's cause. As well as atoning for failure to evacuate everyone, this will serve as an example and motivation for the others in the Onion to work harder; leaving the cause in the hands of his cloned "sons".
Re: Forget I said anything
Post by tlb   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:53 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:I would have deleted the post, but the option wasn't available, this was the best (and the least) I could do.

Only the latest post can be deleted and I expect that only an empty thread can be deleted. What I find amazing was that you were allowed to change the name of the thread. I have seen threads where the name was changed before and thought that it was a thread error, because I have asked that spelling errors in the thread name be fixed and told "NO" that was not acceptable.
Post by jtg452   » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:14 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:Yes, he is an evil guy; but he is not self-serving, he is serving his ancestor's cause. As well as atoning for failure to evacuate everyone, this will serve as an example and motivation for the others in the Onion to work harder; leaving the cause in the hands of his cloned "sons".

Albrech was evil, no doubt but he was a fanatic, too, and I think that is the important part of his decision making process.

How many fanatics choose suicide when cornered?

How many gladly embrace the option when they think it will lead to martyrdom or otherwise further their cause?

Return to Honorverse