Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 156 guests

Updates from RFC?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Updates from RFC?
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:26 am

Mycall4me
Commander

Since the Honorverse is the most active forum on the site, and the one with the highest rank registered users who are regular posters, I thought I'd ask this question here. Especially bc I haven't got any good hits about this on the free topics forum.

Obviously, Toll of Honor just came out, And To Challenge Heaven just last month. (It was quite good too IMO) I just now (2/2/24) read an update about Rebel from Fox on the Fury forum, due this fall. But after that I got nothing. I don't do facebook where I understand RFC will sometimes drop some news. Or, has anybody seen him at a con or something?

Maybe we could get duckk to prevail upon him for the latest and greatest? Since as the site administrator he can occasionally have the ear of the man himself.
Re: Updates from RFC?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:24 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

There've been some updates via RFC's facebook that have been discussed in the last few weeks - but they're more long range plans than any announcement of a release schedule.
Facebook: David Weber - Jan 16, 2024 wrote:So there I was at MarsCon last weekend. And so were Toni Weisskopf and Marisa Wolf. And we had this conversation. And it seems Marisa (despite knowing me) really IS willing to step in for Eric and help me finish out the Crown of Slaves. Which will complete my entire original story arc for the series. Of course, the Honorverse has grown a tad since I sent her off to Basilisk Sation, so I anticipate plenty of stories going forward, but this is still a huge point that I know Eric would treasure as much as I will.

Facebook: David Weber - Jan 16, 2024 wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that Marisa Wolf has fallen into the clutches of the Honorverse. And I’ve also mentioned that Jan Kotouč will be writing the story of Mark Sarnow & Company in Sunny Silesia.
What I cannot for the life of me recall is whether or not I’ve mentioned that Jacob Holo will be doing the life of Edward Saganami. At the moment, it’s a trilogy, but this IS Baen we’re talking about.
Oh, and the other Toni-approved project somewhere down the road will be another Marisa project involving three ladies named Alicia, Tisiphone, and Megaera and the two books I have planned out but have never gotten written.
Yet.

And in the Edward Saganami Trilogy thread the author Jacob Holo shared
Jacob Holo wrote:Tom, David, and I are deep into planning the first Saganami novel, and yes, we’re still looking at three books. There are a lot of technical and political details to sort out, since this era of the Honorverse hasn’t been explored in-depth before, but all that work is proceeding at a comfortable pace (Tom and I have weekly meetings to work on said details). Given the current state of my schedule, I expect to start writing the first draft sometime in late Q3 2024.

I’ve already written a Saganami short story (his first assignment as an ensign, in fact), which we used to fine-tune the character’s portrayal. David was very happy with the result, and that story should appear in the next Honorverse anthology. It’s a rather light, fun escapade that takes place before Saganami gets passed through the Honorverse Main Character Meatgrinder (tm). :D
Post by Relax   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:54 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So, by the time mainline Honor story finishes, my grandkids will have expired and turned to dust
:twisted: :roll: :shock: :o :lol: :!:
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:14 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Jonathan_S wrote:There've been some updates via RFC's facebook that have been discussed in the last few weeks - but they're more long range plans than any announcement of a release schedule.
Facebook: David Weber - Jan 16, 2024 wrote:So there I was at MarsCon last weekend. And so were Toni Weisskopf and Marisa Wolf. And we had this conversation. And it seems Marisa (despite knowing me) really IS willing to step in for Eric and help me finish out the Crown of Slaves. Which will complete my entire original story arc for the series. Of course, the Honorverse has grown a tad since I sent her off to Basilisk Sation, so I anticipate plenty of stories going forward, but this is still a huge point that I know Eric would treasure as much as I will.

Facebook: David Weber - Jan 16, 2024 wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that Marisa Wolf has fallen into the clutches of the Honorverse. And I’ve also mentioned that Jan Kotouč will be writing the story of Mark Sarnow & Company in Sunny Silesia.
What I cannot for the life of me recall is whether or not I’ve mentioned that Jacob Holo will be doing the life of Edward Saganami. At the moment, it’s a trilogy, but this IS Baen we’re talking about.
Oh, and the other Toni-approved project somewhere down the road will be another Marisa project involving three ladies named Alicia, Tisiphone, and Megaera and the two books I have planned out but have never gotten written.
Yet.

And in the Edward Saganami Trilogy thread the author Jacob Holo shared
Jacob Holo wrote:Tom, David, and I are deep into planning the first Saganami novel, and yes, we’re still looking at three books. There are a lot of technical and political details to sort out, since this era of the Honorverse hasn’t been explored in-depth before, but all that work is proceeding at a comfortable pace (Tom and I have weekly meetings to work on said details). Given the current state of my schedule, I expect to start writing the first draft sometime in late Q3 2024.

I’ve already written a Saganami short story (his first assignment as an ensign, in fact), which we used to fine-tune the character’s portrayal. David was very happy with the result, and that story should appear in the next Honorverse anthology. It’s a rather light, fun escapade that takes place before Saganami gets passed through the Honorverse Main Character Meatgrinder (tm). :D

Yeah, I already had those two, (the first two anyways.)probably from somewhere here. Oh well, a guy can always hope. The third one I didn't get, so there's that anyway. It would be nice to get one of those good old complete rundowns that RFC used to do, even if a third of it didn't end up happening. There was always the two thirds that DID.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:53 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:Yeah, I already had those two, (the first two anyways.)probably from somewhere here. Oh well, a guy can always hope. The third one I didn't get, so there's that anyway. It would be nice to get one of those good old complete rundowns that RFC used to do, even if a third of it didn't end up happening. There was always the two thirds that DID.

I want to highlight the point that Jacob Holo writing a short story for an anthology means another anthology is coming up in the next 2 or 3 years.
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:20 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Mycall4me wrote:Yeah, I already had those two, (the first two anyways.)probably from somewhere here. Oh well, a guy can always hope. The third one I didn't get, so there's that anyway. It would be nice to get one of those good old complete rundowns that RFC used to do, even if a third of it didn't end up happening. There was always the two thirds that DID.

I want to highlight the point that Jacob Holo writing a short story for an anthology means another anthology is coming up in the next 2 or 3 years.

Huh, I totally missed that implication. Thanks for pointing it out

But I think that 2 or 3 years thing is being much too discouraging. I doubt if it will be that long. After all, if it's an anthology that'll mean that RFC will only have to take time off from all his other many, many projects to dash off one or two short stories, and he does those pretty damn quickly. And besides that, it being a baen book, there'll probably e-arc it, so that takes off another three months. ;)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:But I think that 2 or 3 years thing is being much too discouraging. I doubt if it will be that long. After all, if it's an anthology that'll mean that RFC will only have to take time off from all his other many, many projects to dash off one or two short stories, and he does those pretty damn quickly. And besides that, it being a baen book, there'll probably e-arc it, so that takes off another three months. ;)

We had an anthology last year, so I don't expect one more that quickly after. And he's getting content from multiple authors whose schedules must be wildly different. Some of the stories might be collaboration themselves (another Tim + Tom story in the Travis era, for example). With that and his own review and commenting, I expect anthologies take long to put together.

Anthologies are also not time-critical for any particular sub-series. So collecting them as they come by and publish only once all of them are ready.

Return to Honorverse