Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

Fun with AI

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Fun with AI
Post by aairfccha   » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:44 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Out of curiosity and after a documentation on generative AI, I dropped this prompt into Google Bard:
Please show me the first chapter of "Honors Empire" by David Weber.

Aaand what I got on the first try was a doozy. It was some sort of introductory chapter or backcover blurb, but that is probably the smallest of the issues. It also was probably a fluke as now I am getting something more in like with the actual novels, but anyway. Subsequent results are closer to actual first chapters but less fun to pick apart.

We are introduced to a two centuries old Star Kingdom of Manticore which is already one of the most powerful empires in the known galaxy (nope) with an equally impressive merchant navy (I don't think quite yet).

The Star Kingdom has also been at war war with the militaristic People's Republic of Haven for the past fifteen years (again a few centuries too early and fifteen years after the war officially started, we are well past the restoration of the Republic and somewhere around Operation Thunderbolt). There are numerous fronts with the most important being in space (kind of correct) and the Star Kingdom's Navy was mostly victorious but at a cost (also kind of correct, depending on point of the war you are looking at).

Finally, one of the greatest defeats of Manticore was losing the Battle of Hancock Station (except Manticore won both) with the loss of four cruisers being a major blow for Manticore (actual losses in the first battle of Hancock station: 3 battlecruisers, 2 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruiser but calling that a major blow for one of the most powerful empires in the known galaxy...).

Interestingly, if I ask for the first chapter of "War of Honor", the text is much more in line with the Honorverse at the time with an incompetent Baron of High Ridge as Prime Minister, although Haven is disputing Basilisk rather than Trevor's Star.

In summary, generative AI is fun to toy around with, but if you let it loose on a topic you know quite a bit about, the result quickly turns into a game of "spot the error". The best way to compare the results to a human is probably a decently good FanFic author with very limited knowledge of the Honorverse.

Return to Honorverse