Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests

Commodore Tremaine

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Commodore Tremaine
Post by penny   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:36 am

penny
Captain of the List

When coming across Commodore Tremaine's rank in TEiF, I was a bit surprised. I hadn't thought about it, but if I had I would have expected it to be a tad higher, even without Honor's influence. But with Honor's influence, someone who has been in her inner circle since the beginning, I would think his rank would be higher than a Commodore. Not that a Commodore is anything to sneeze at.

The classifications of navy ranks

Junior enlisted
Noncommissioned officers (NCOs)
Senior noncommissioned officer
Senior enlisted adviser
Warrant officers
Junior officers
Senior officers
Flag officers

List of the United States Navy Ranks with their Insignia

1. Seaman Recruit
2. Seaman Apprentice
3. Seaman
4. Petty Officer Third Class
5. Petty Officer Second Class
6. Petty Officer First Class
7. Chief Petty Officer
8. Senior Chief Petty Officer
9. Master Chief Petty Officer
10. Command Master Chief Petty Officer
11. Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
12. Chief Warrant Officer 2
13. Chief Warrant Officer 3
14. Chief Warrant Officer 4
15. Chief Warrant Officer 5
16. Ensign
17. Chief Warrant Officer 5
18. Lieutenant Junior Grade
19. Lieutenant
19. Lieutenant Commander
20. Commander
21. Captain
22. Rear Admiral Lower Half
23. Rear Admiral
24. Vice Admiral
25. Admiral
26. Fleet Admiral

A commodore is ranked above a captain and below a rear admiral; the designation has usually been used only in wartime.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Re: Commodore Tremaine
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:50 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:When coming across Commodore Tremaine's rank in TEiF, I was a bit surprised. I hadn't thought about it, but if I had I would have expected it to be a tad higher, even without Honor's influence. But with Honor's influence, someone who has been in her inner circle since the beginning, I would think his rank would be higher than a Commodore. Not that a Commodore is anything to sneeze at.

Put another way, he was an Ensign in 1900 PD and was about to become Rear Admiral in 1924. That's a very fast career.
Post by penny   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
penny wrote:When coming across Commodore Tremaine's rank in TEiF, I was a bit surprised. I hadn't thought about it, but if I had I would have expected it to be a tad higher, even without Honor's influence. But with Honor's influence, someone who has been in her inner circle since the beginning, I would think his rank would be higher than a Commodore. Not that a Commodore is anything to sneeze at.

Put another way, he was an Ensign in 1900 PD and was about to become Rear Admiral in 1924. That's a very fast career.

I expected him to have made Rear Admiral already. He has so much going for himself.

1. Began as an officer
2. Honor's inner circle
3. Wartime service his entire life
4. Honor's backing
5. Flawless performance

Megan Petersen is already a Captain (SG) and she didn't come on the scene until 1922. Ok, I don't think we know how long she was XO of HMS Nomad, but still.

Of course, I am not trying to belittle Megan's accomplishments. No sirreeee! I am just surprised Tremaine hasn't already made Rear Admiral.

Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:45 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

It took Honor 26/27 years from academy graduation to achieve Commodore.

For me, the surprising career was how long Rafe was a Sr. Captain. Scotty passed him career wise while Rafe was playing Honor's Flag Captain in a Hydra CLAC, then an Invictus.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:56 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

The classifications of navy ranks

Junior enlisted
Noncommissioned officers (NCOs)
Senior noncommissioned officer
Senior enlisted adviser
Warrant officers
Junior officers
Senior officers
Flag officers

List of the United States Navy Ranks with their Insignia

1. Seaman Recruit
2. Seaman Apprentice
3. Seaman
4. Petty Officer Third Class
5. Petty Officer Second Class
6. Petty Officer First Class
7. Chief Petty Officer
8. Senior Chief Petty Officer
9. Master Chief Petty Officer
10. Command Master Chief Petty Officer
11. Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
12. Chief Warrant Officer 2
13. Chief Warrant Officer 3
14. Chief Warrant Officer 4
15. Chief Warrant Officer 5
16. Ensign
17. Chief Warrant Officer 5
18. Lieutenant Junior Grade
19. Lieutenant
19. Lieutenant Commander
20. Commander
21. Captain
22. Rear Admiral Lower Half
23. Rear Admiral
24. Vice Admiral
25. Admiral
26. Fleet Admiral

A commodore is ranked above a captain and below a rear admiral; the designation has usually been used only in wartime.

Actual RMN Officer ranks: (From Jayne's RMN)

Midshipman
Ensign
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain JG
Captain SG
Commodore
Rear Admiral (Red/Green)
Vice Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral (Red/Green)
Fleet Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Actual Enlisted Ranks:

Spacer 3rd Class
Spacer 2nd Class
Spacer 1st Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Chief Petty Officer
Sr. Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Sr. Master Chief Petty Officer
Last edited by Theemile on Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:05 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

-- snip --

Theemile wrote:Actual RMN Officer ranks: (From Jayne's RMN)

Midshipman
Ensign
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain JG
Captain SG
Commander
Rear Admiral (Red/Green)
Vice Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Please clarify, since you have Commander listed twice; should the second time be Commodore? Otherwise Commodore just indicates that someone below the rank of Admiral has been given command over a group of ships.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

-- snip --

Theemile wrote:Actual RMN Officer ranks: (From Jayne's RMN)

Midshipman
Ensign
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain JG
Captain SG
Commander
Rear Admiral (Red/Green)
Vice Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral (Red/Green)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Please clarify, since you have Commander listed twice; should the second time be Commodore? Otherwise Commodore just indicates that someone below the rank of Admiral has been given command over a group of ships.

My apologies for the bad hand copy - The 2nd was supposed to be a Commodore, I fixed the original post.
Post by justdave   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:50 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

[quote="penny"]When coming across Commodore Tremaine's rank in TEiF, I was a bit surprised. I hadn't thought about it, but if I had I would have expected it to be a tad higher, even without Honor's influence. But with Honor's influence, someone who has been in her inner circle since the beginning, I would think his rank would be higher than a Commodore. Not that a Commodore is anything to sneeze at.

and then there’s Mercedes Brigham who passed up promotion in RMN to stay Honor’s CofS
Post by penny   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:51 pm

penny
Captain of the List

Thanks for the Jayne's official ranks. I don't know what it means when it states that Commodore is only used in wartime; which I parsed as strictly an embellishment and not an actual promotion. Which seems to infer that in peacetime Tremaine would have still been a Captain (SG) same as Megan???

One distinguishing factor does seem to be that a Commodore has the distinction of having served aboard two ships or roles simultaneously. Which would account for Tremaine's COLAC duties. But I do not want to think that his special assignment actually hampered him in some way. Fueled by (taken from the net) ...

Traditionally, "commodore" is the title for any officer assigned to command more than one ship, even temporarily, much as "captain" is the traditional title for the commanding officer of a single ship even if the officer's official title in the service is a lower rank.

In 1899 in order to give more prestige to some of our division and squadron commanders, particularly on foreign stations, Congress advanced all commodores to the rank (but not the pay) of rear admiral and abolished commodore as an active rank. Yes, there are ample precedents on every hand for changing ranks and titles.

Sorry justdave, I didn't mean to ninja post you.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:
One distinguishing factor does seem to be that a Commodore has the distinction of having served aboard two ships or roles simultaneously. Which would account for Tremaine's COLAC duties. But I do not want to think that his special assignment actually hampered him in some way. Fueled by (taken from the net) ...
It’s not that they’re serving aboard two ships simultaneously - Commodore is (at least is some Earth navies) a courtesy rank given to designate a non-admiral who has been assigned a (usually temporary) multi-ship independent command. That’s usually the senior most captain of the ships, but it doesn’t have to be. Sometimes navies will assign a separate officer as Commodore who all the ship captains report to. (Like they would to an Admiral who commanded a formation)

But just like the Admiral isn’t serving on two ships simultaneously just because he’s assigned command of their formation a captain bumped up to Commadore still serves on just their ship; they can merely give orders to the captains of the other ships in their formation.

So say the admiral of a carrier group splits off a tin can and a couple of frigates to go deal with a situation a few days away. The destroyer’s captain is likely going to be put in charge of that 3 ship detachment and would be called Commodore (instead of their permanent rank) to indicate that and so it’s clear when people are speaking of the officer in charge of the formation.

Return to Honorverse